"You have a fast metabolism!"- NO! I work HARD.

Options
2»

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Accidental double post--Meant to add in my original post that even my family members are amazed at my metabolism.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    After I started on Synthroid, I was able to lose. Couldn't lose before. I work hard! I stick to an average of 1200 calories a day, I do my C25K every other day. I do body weight stuff every day and when my shoulder is done recovering, I'll swim again. It's a lot of work.

What do I hear? "Sure wish I had a magic pill," and "Must be nice to just take a pill," etc.

They are jealous. They're trying to make themselves feel better. If you have a fast metabolism and I have special pills, then we aren't doing a better job (and they aren't "worse" than anyone.) Deep down, they know better. They have to hang on to that, for their own reasons. It's a game they play in their head to keep themselves "okay" with themselves.

weird. I'm sure it's due to jealousy, but I'd feel far less jealous by knowing someone worked their butt off for their body than I would thinking they were blessed with genetics.
  • Health_Nut94
    Options
    Yes!! I hear this all the time. I weigh 130 pounds now, around that amount and my highest was 210. I picked up running six, seven times a week with added strength training. My family constantly tells me I have a fast metabolism, no I have an average one. Its not fast whatsoever, I have to work my *kitten* off to maintain this weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, though. How would you know if you have a "fast metabolism"?

Especially if you're into estimating cardio burns, you count your calories accurately and somehow can't account for an extra, say, 500 calories per day. For example, by all accounts you should be gaining 1 lb per week or not losing that additional 1 lb per week
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Funniest thing was an overweight guy telling a skinny guy, "must be nice to have that high metabolism. Just wait till you hit 30." All the thin people within earshot were over 30 :| And the skinny one he was talking to? Would live outdoors on his boat/in the trees if he could. The other guy could have been joking, though. Maybe. Super slim chance really but I feel like I have to allow for that possibility lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    After I started on Synthroid, I was able to lose. Couldn't lose before. I work hard! I stick to an average of 1200 calories a day, I do my C25K every other day. I do body weight stuff every day and when my shoulder is done recovering, I'll swim again. It's a lot of work.

What do I hear? "Sure wish I had a magic pill," and "Must be nice to just take a pill," etc.

They are jealous. They're trying to make themselves feel better. If you have a fast metabolism and I have special pills, then we aren't doing a better job (and they aren't "worse" than anyone.) Deep down, they know better. They have to hang on to that, for their own reasons. It's a game they play in their head to keep themselves "okay" with themselves.

weird. I'm sure it's due to jealousy, but I'd feel far less jealous by knowing someone worked their butt off for their body than I would thinking they were blessed with genetics.
    Oh look someone is bothered by a post someone else made, again, and took it personal.

You may be right, but that's not how I took it at all.

Here's another example: I see this stinking rich person, and since I'm not yet 100% super super perfect I maybe feel this tiny twinge of envy. Next, I hear one of two things: a) he inherited it all from Mommy. Never had to lift a finger a day in his life, just stinking rich. b) he works a minimum of 20 hour days, hardly ever gets to see his family or enjoy all the stuff his money buys.

Hearing b) rather than a) makes me feel that much less envious and even a little happier to see my ****ty apartment and thankful for all the people in my life

At least, that's how I understood her post, not personal at all
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree that the sentiment isn't about you. People sometimes need to believe certain things, even if they aren't strictly true. It's much easier (and nicer) to believe that a skinny person is blessed with a natural advantage, because that means that if a person isn't skinny it's not their fault. They just got the short end of the genetic stick.

I also get being annoyed by it, but I've found that I spend much less time being annoyed since accepting that most things people say and do are not personal.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    In my lifetime I have gone from 140 lbs. to 110 lbs. and fluctuated all in between. I know rest at 124 and am wanting to get back to 115 lbs. However, I do have more muscle and I think I do look better physically, so I am not sure if I would want to lose some of that muscle just to have that number on the scale... Does this make sense?
    Here comes my frustration... I work HARD to maintain and lose weight. I workout 5-6 days a week. I do cardio, I do weights. I eat well. I count calories, etc. And ALL my friends are like, "you have a fast metabolism." Let me tell you something, I don't, it is just average, and maybe 3% faster after I do weights. LOL But I work hard and I feel like my friends don't understand that.

Have you heard this before? Is this dumb to even talk about?

On the other hand, I work equally as hard as you do - 6 days a week in the gym, lots of walking, looking after 3 young kids, and I eat pretty well with the occasional treat. I definitely have a big calorie deficit. I'm 5'6 and pre pregnancy, last Summer, I was 154lbs, and I'd had to work damn hard to get to that low a weight. I was a UK size 10/12 (US6/8) then.

I've been working my *kitten* off since my baby was 6.5 weeks old and now she's nearly 7 months, and I'm still a UK size 14. And I exercised until 38 weeks pregnant.

So keep in mind that some people work equally as hard as you do to still weigh a lot more! I'm not belittling your hard work, but I can understand why people might think your metabolism is faster than theirs.

At my thinnest/fittest I've never been told I have a fast metabolism, because people know how hard I work. I'm surprised your friends don't know how hard you work.

• VerySpecialSnowflake
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just send them this: "No excuses...In short, while there is some variance among the population in terms of metabolic rate, the range is not wide enough to be a real factor in your ability to alter your weight. If you’re having trouble with either fat loss or muscle gain, simply start keeping track of calories and slowly add or subtract from your daily target depending on your goal."

Fast metabolism is a myth and a lie people tell themselves to skirt responsibility.

Keep up the good work!

---

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/the-myth-of-the-fast-metabolism

How do you know this for other people's bodies? Slow metabolism might be an excuse that many people use to avoid do the changes needed for weight loss. It does not explain why some people are "naturally thin".

I used to be one of those. My friends would ask me how I can eat up to 3000 kcal a day and not gain at all with no exercise. I was tiny, think waif like. I have a friend from school. She is 6"0 and 132 lbs. She keeps getting nasty comments (for some reason people think bullying thin people is more ok than bully fat people). She has tried to overeat on all the junk food she could possibly eat, still no gaining. (she's a model using that advantage now). I know a lot of naturally thin people, some of them simply eat less, but some are inexplicably thin when you see how much they eat. This is not normal. But saying such a phenomenon doesn't exist is broscience.

Yes, OP. Maintaining is hard work for most.
  • Aviva92
    edited November 2014
    Options

Oh look someone is bothered by a post someone else made, again, and took it personal.

oh look, someone doesn't know how to read. what about my post shows that I was bothered by anything, exactly?
  • Aviva92
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

You may be right, but that's not how I took it at all.

Here's another example: I see this stinking rich person, and since I'm not yet 100% super super perfect I maybe feel this tiny twinge of envy. Next, I hear one of two things: a) he inherited it all from Mommy. Never had to lift a finger a day in his life, just stinking rich. b) he works a minimum of 20 hour days, hardly ever gets to see his family or enjoy all the stuff his money buys.

Hearing b) rather than a) makes me feel that much less envious and even a little happier to see my ****ty apartment and thankful for all the people in my life

At least, that's how I understood her post, not personal at all

yes, exactly.