Fit Bit: Is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit zip; I wear it daily. I never stopped using it because my weight loss team asks to see my stats. Accountability. This way I pull up my app and all the numbers are there. Hubby has one too but his participation is far more casual. He wears it on days he knows he is going to get in a lot of steps, and wants to know how many he "earned".
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, you've convinced me to get one and yes I do need the motivation! I need more activity in my life to ramp up my weight loss.

What model are you getting?

• belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. Have had it for 2 years and wear it daily. It motivates me so much.
  • Knoxnurse93
    Knoxnurse93 Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think I am going to get a fit bit charge or flex. I want something not too bulky that I will actually wear all the time. I know the charge isn't out yet though.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a one, but only because the flex didn't exist when I bought mine.

So it's a nice motivator if you need one. On more days than I can count it's made me want to take extra steps. When we first got them my husband would walk around the block at night to break a step plateau sometimes.

It's nice in conjunction with MFP because you can just set it to sync and it will automatically adjust your calories for the day. At the same time this a bad thing if you don't want to 'eat back' your cooking or walking to car calories.

It's neat that it tracks sleep, but it doesn't work that well as you have to shake your wrist if you like reading or watching tv in bed before you fall asleep or it will count longer.

I ended up making a new MFP account because I didn't know how to unsync my fitbit. (I'm sure I could go back and figure it out but I can't be bothered.) I still use mine but I don't like having it synced.

Now I prefer just wearing my PolarFT4 when I am actually exercising, and manually log my exercise calories. Polars are decent and the same price or cheaper than the step counters like fitbit. It's just going to depend on what works best for you, but if I could do it again I would have bought the HRM first or instead.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a One, I love it! I do my 10k minimum religiously and I am convinced that is about twice the walking I would be doing without it. I got one for my parents too and my father lost 2 belt notchs in about 4 months as a result, no dieting! I like that we can do it together even though we aren't usually in the same place.