Lean PCOS and a low carb diet?

Options
Hello,

I'm in my late teens and I have lean PCOS - I'm at a healthy weight, and I don't have any side effects from it except that my periods are irregular. I eat a healthy diet, and I'm a vegetarian. I read online (okay, I know that's not a good way to preface any 'discovery' but here I am) that a diet low in carbs actually helps some people OVERCOME pcos.

The issue, of course, is that I like my carbs. I don't eat copious amounts of them, and the majority of the carbs I eat are from whole grains and things like quinoa, brown rice, and multigrain bread - but the truth is that almost every single one of my meals contains them. And when I say "okay I'm not going to eat so many carbs today," I just end up eating them as I normally would the next day.

I have no idea what to eat as a vegetarian who now supposedly can't eat carbs! And I'm not good at this low carb thing, truthfully. I also run a lot and I'm quite active and goddammit, eating tofu, eggs, nuts, and fruits just doesn't cut it all the time.

Do you think it is even worth pursuing this diet, especially because the PCOS doesn't affect my life at all - it just means I don't get my period that often?

Replies