Lean PCOS and a low carb diet?

Hello,

I'm in my late teens and I have lean PCOS - I'm at a healthy weight, and I don't have any side effects from it except that my periods are irregular. I eat a healthy diet, and I'm a vegetarian. I read online (okay, I know that's not a good way to preface any 'discovery' but here I am) that a diet low in carbs actually helps some people OVERCOME pcos.

The issue, of course, is that I like my carbs. I don't eat copious amounts of them, and the majority of the carbs I eat are from whole grains and things like quinoa, brown rice, and multigrain bread - but the truth is that almost every single one of my meals contains them. And when I say "okay I'm not going to eat so many carbs today," I just end up eating them as I normally would the next day.

I have no idea what to eat as a vegetarian who now supposedly can't eat carbs! And I'm not good at this low carb thing, truthfully. I also run a lot and I'm quite active and goddammit, eating tofu, eggs, nuts, and fruits just doesn't cut it all the time.

Do you think it is even worth pursuing this diet, especially because the PCOS doesn't affect my life at all - it just means I don't get my period that often?

Replies

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    "Especially because the PCOS doesn't affect my life at all - it just means I don't get my period that often." I mean, that right there means your life is affected. Irregular periods is not healthy, regardless of the reason, and can seriously affect you in the future when you're not in your late teens. As someone else who has severe PCOS (all the symptoms), I would recommend trying to heal your body through diet so it does not progress to all the full blown symptoms like I and so many others have.

You don't have to eat keto, by any means, but these should give you some ideas on how to eat low carb and vegetarian:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOgxLJy3Txl5hdzBYfUEJlpTggNcoNnPv7pqLGya1h0/edit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo
  • SamiDee12
    SamiDee12 Posts: 16 Member
    aeb09 wrote: »
    "Especially because the PCOS doesn't affect my life at all - it just means I don't get my period that often." I mean, that right there means your life is affected. Irregular periods is not healthy, regardless of the reason, and can seriously affect you in the future when you're not in your late teens. As someone else who has severe PCOS (all the symptoms), I would recommend trying to heal your body through diet so it does not progress to all the full blown symptoms like I and so many others have.

You don't have to eat keto, by any means, but these should give you some ideas on how to eat low carb and vegetarian:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOgxLJy3Txl5hdzBYfUEJlpTggNcoNnPv7pqLGya1h0/edit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo

I agree with this, as someone else with PCOS who exhibits almost all of the symptoms. It may not be affecting you as much as you think, but as you get older it can become more severe. Maybe try eating more calorie dense foods that don't contain alot of carbs, like cheese and peanut butter?
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    I like my carbs, too - especially rice! My husband and I have also chosen not to buy meat anymore so I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I don't want to give up carbs, but I'd also love to lose this last six pounds and my PCOS belly! One thing I had started to do a few months ago (and stopped recently but need to do again) is increase my healthy fats. I started adding avocado and/or cheese to my sandwiches and salads and eating more eggs and nuts (dark chocolate sea salt & nuts KIND bars are my kryptonite!). I didn't really decrease my carbs on purpose, but i definitely eat less of them naturally when I increase fats. Maybe try that?

I definitely wish I had found out about PCOS in my teens rather than at 23. I never was very overweight (my heaviest was 150ish at 5'3), but I may have done a better job of watching my weight if I had known how long it would take me to lose 20lbs.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well from what I know limited amounts of brown rice (no white) is ok, wholemeal bread like ezekial bread is ok, and quinoa is ok. They mean. No pastas, no cereals, oats is ok, tofu or soy based and things like coffee that contains oestrogens are to be avoided as they increase a over production of estrogen in ovaries which can become or affect fibroids somehow. Just focus on eating a large salad midday with a veggie of every color nuts and seeds and a oil. Its very filling. Have berries. They are low gi too.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    I think you should ask a doctor.

I've found success with a low-carb diet. I've read about many people with different health conditions getting better by eating low-carb, or paleo, or just cutting out grains. I really believe there's something to it. But, in my experience, low-carb isn't something you can do on-a-day, off-a-day. If you aren't committed to it, you're not going to be successful.

Please understand, I'm not telling you not to do it. Just get a doctor's input as to whether or not it's worth the effort. Maybe print copies of the extracts from the studies you've read about so he/she can see where you're coming from (some doctors don't seem to stay on top of recent nutrition studies).

I'll also add that since cutting out grains, I really don't miss them. I'm tempted when somebody brings homemade cookies or bread into work. But if it's not right in front of me, I don't want it at all. I thought that would be much harder than it was.

Everything I used to have with bread goes well with vegetable substitutes: Instead of a sandwich, I put all the fixen's on a salad. Instead of pasta, I use spaghetti squash. Instead of crackers and dip, I have celery and dip.