More FiBER Pleeze

sitarami
sitarami Posts: 68 Member
Hi Guys,
:smokin: Hello from the Virgin Islands. I've been with MFP for just over a week and I'm happy to be a part of this community. :smile:

One thing that I'd like to discuss is FIBER. For my 1200 calorie diet, MFP suggests only 14 grams of fiber. :indifferent: That is just too low, to be healthy. Fiber is essential to bowel health, prostate health, reproductive health, good cholesterol levels --- and most importantly for us, weight loss. :cry:

"The recommended intake is between 20 and 38 grams of total fiber per day, depending on your age and gender, with 25 grams being a realistic goal for most people. "

Check out this report from msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15938650/
"Americans need more fiber in their diets"

We all know dietary fiber is good for us, but many of us don’t know what it is. And if my patients’ misconceptions are indication of what most people think, dietary fiber is one of the most confusing dietary terms out there. For some, it simply conjures up the unappetizing image of eating the equivalent of shredded corrugated cardboard. This is a shame because fiber is an important part of our diet.

Most Americans don’t get enough fiber in their diets. The recommended intake is between 20 and 38 grams of total fiber per day, depending on your age and gender, with 25 grams being a realistic goal for most people. This is about the same amount of fiber that is found in five servings of either fruits or vegetables and one or two servings of either whole grains or beans. Unfortunately, the average American consumes a mere 14 grams — and many eat even less. Since fiber helps you digest food, if you don’t get enough in your diet, you can become constipated, develop hemorrhoids, or be prone to illnesses like diverticulosis (inflammation in your digestive tract).

And contrary to popular beliefs, you can’t simply substitute fiber supplements, such as Metamucil, for healthy eating habits. When you take ingest a large amount of fiber at once, you have to make sure that you drink plenty of water. If you don’t, the fiber will act as a sponge and absorb liquids in your body. This, in turn, can cause constipation, and bloating. The best way to get enough fiber is to eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans. They’re one-stop fiber shopping: they contain moderate amounts of fiber and water.

Since fiber is important to our health and yet is so misunderstood, I’d like to go through what I call “Fiber 101.” Whether you just need a refresher on this nutrient or are a fiber novice, these basics should get you up to speed and show you how to add more fiber-rich foods, which are both tasty and low in calories, to your diet. With a little planning, you’ll see that it’s actually pretty easy to maintain your fiber needs.

What is fiber and where does it come from?
Fiber is a carbohydrate that is not digested by our bodies. It is only found in plant foods — no animal products contain fiber — such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds, and nuts. Since our bodies can’t digest and break down fiber, it has practically no calories.

Is all fiber the same?
No. There are two kinds of fiber and each one has a different health effect. Here’s a breakdown of these fiber types:

Insoluble fiber: This type of fiber does not dissolve in water and is known as a “bulking agent” – it’s kind of like a Roto-Rooter for the digestive tract. It’s good for bowel regularity and elimination, since it absorbs water and makes stools softer. Insoluble fiber also tends to speed up the movement of food in the digestive tract. It can help prevent hemorrhoids and diverticulosis, and it may help prevent colon cancer.
Soluble fiber: This fiber does dissolve in water and it forms a gel-like substance in the stomach, which slows down the rate at which the stomach empties. This type of fiber tends to slow down the movement of food throughout the digestive tract and is not related to regularity. Instead, it’s been shown to help lower blood cholesterol and help control blood sugar levels in diabetics.
What are good dietary sources of fiber?
It’s important to eat both soluble and insoluble fiber because both are vital to your health. A good source of fiber contains at least three grams of fiber per serving and a high-fiber source has at least five grams per serving.

Some good choices for foods containing insoluble fiber include: wheat and corn bran, whole-grain products (such as bread, pasta, and cereals), fruits, and vegetables. If you’re looking for soluble fiber, choose foods that contain oats and oat bran, beans (chick peas, kidney beans, baked beans, and black beans), and fruits, and vegetables.

Notice that fruits and vegetables do “double duty” and are a great source of both types of fiber. Avoid fruit and vegetable juices; stick with the whole fruit or vegetable to maximize your fiber intake. It’s best to eat the peels (after thoroughly washing them, of course) and edible seeds. When shopping for fiber-rich foods, choose those that are less processed. These will contain more fiber, since refining processes strip away foods’ natural fiber. Finally, if you’re cooking a dish with meat, consider substituting some of the meat with beans.

How much fiber do you need each day?
The recommended intake is about 20 to 25 grams per day of total fiber from food sources, depending on your age and gender. Most people can handle up to 35 grams a day without any ill effects. The good news is that it’s not hard to get enough fiber into your diet. Eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day plus a serving or two of whole grains or beans will easily get you to 20 grams of fiber a day. A serving of most fruits, vegetables and whole grains contains anywhere from three to six grams of fiber. New dietary guidelines recommend seven to nine servings of fiber a day, depending on age, gender, and physical activity.

What’s the best way to increase my fiber intake?
I always recommend adding fiber to your diet very gradually, as your body needs time to adjust. Adding fiber too quickly can produce excess gas, bloating, and diarrhea. A good rule of thumb is to add a serving (containing three to five grams of fiber) a week. Read the labels on foods carefully to calculate your daily fiber intake — the grams can add up quickly.

Remember to also drink plenty of water along with increasing your fiber intake, since fiber helps prevent constipation by acting like a big colon sponge — it holds on to water to push the waste through and keep it moving.

Why can’t I just take a fiber supplement?
The best sources of fiber are dietary, since you get the added value of ingesting the other nutrients in that food, including vitamins and minerals. Our bodies are built to digest nutrients obtained from the food supply, not those that have been isolated and put into concentrated supplements.

Fiber supplements may have a role in your diet if you really struggle with reaching the daily recommendation, but you should check with your doctor before taking them. You can also sprinkle some fiber into soups, pasta sauce, or other liquids to boost your daily fiber intake, but remember to add no more than three grams per serving. Some foods on the market, such as yogurt and orange juice, actually contain added fiber.

Why do people say that fiber is good for weight loss?
A fiber-rich diet contributes to effective weight management for a number of reasons. These include:

Many fiber-rich foods are also low in calories. Fiber is good at binding to water, which tends to provide a greater sense of fullness in the stomach and great sense of feeling satisfied after eating. High-fiber foods usually require a person to chew more, which slows down the rate of eating. When you eat slower, biological signals from the stomach have a chance to tell your brain that you’re content (this takes about 15 to 20 minutes to happen).The body does not absorb fiber, so fiber is essentially calorie-free. :love:

Dr. Fernstrom’s Bottom Line: Whether you are looking for help with your cholesterol, blood sugar, constipation, or weight control, increasing your daily fiber intake might just be the missing link to a healthier lifestyle. If you make the commitment to eating less processed foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables, you’ll meet your fiber needs without extra effort.

Replies

• sitarami
    Hi Guys,
    :smokin: Hello from the Virgin Islands. I've been with MFP for just over a week and I'm happy to be a part of this community. :smile:

One thing that I'd like to discuss is FIBER. For my 1200 calorie diet, MFP suggests only 14 grams of fiber. :indifferent: That is just too low, to be healthy. Fiber is essential to bowel health, prostate health, reproductive health, good cholesterol levels --- and most importantly for us, weight loss. :cry:

"The recommended intake is between 20 and 38 grams of total fiber per day, depending on your age and gender, with 25 grams being a realistic goal for most people. "

Check out this report from msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15938650/
    "Americans need more fiber in their diets"

We all know dietary fiber is good for us, but many of us don’t know what it is. And if my patients’ misconceptions are indication of what most people think, dietary fiber is one of the most confusing dietary terms out there. For some, it simply conjures up the unappetizing image of eating the equivalent of shredded corrugated cardboard. This is a shame because fiber is an important part of our diet.

Most Americans don’t get enough fiber in their diets. The recommended intake is between 20 and 38 grams of total fiber per day, depending on your age and gender, with 25 grams being a realistic goal for most people. This is about the same amount of fiber that is found in five servings of either fruits or vegetables and one or two servings of either whole grains or beans. Unfortunately, the average American consumes a mere 14 grams — and many eat even less. Since fiber helps you digest food, if you don’t get enough in your diet, you can become constipated, develop hemorrhoids, or be prone to illnesses like diverticulosis (inflammation in your digestive tract).

And contrary to popular beliefs, you can’t simply substitute fiber supplements, such as Metamucil, for healthy eating habits. When you take ingest a large amount of fiber at once, you have to make sure that you drink plenty of water. If you don’t, the fiber will act as a sponge and absorb liquids in your body. This, in turn, can cause constipation, and bloating. The best way to get enough fiber is to eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans. They’re one-stop fiber shopping: they contain moderate amounts of fiber and water.

Since fiber is important to our health and yet is so misunderstood, I’d like to go through what I call “Fiber 101.” Whether you just need a refresher on this nutrient or are a fiber novice, these basics should get you up to speed and show you how to add more fiber-rich foods, which are both tasty and low in calories, to your diet. With a little planning, you’ll see that it’s actually pretty easy to maintain your fiber needs.

What is fiber and where does it come from?
    Fiber is a carbohydrate that is not digested by our bodies. It is only found in plant foods — no animal products contain fiber — such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds, and nuts. Since our bodies can’t digest and break down fiber, it has practically no calories.

Is all fiber the same?
    No. There are two kinds of fiber and each one has a different health effect. Here’s a breakdown of these fiber types:

Insoluble fiber: This type of fiber does not dissolve in water and is known as a “bulking agent” – it’s kind of like a Roto-Rooter for the digestive tract. It’s good for bowel regularity and elimination, since it absorbs water and makes stools softer. Insoluble fiber also tends to speed up the movement of food in the digestive tract. It can help prevent hemorrhoids and diverticulosis, and it may help prevent colon cancer.
    Soluble fiber: This fiber does dissolve in water and it forms a gel-like substance in the stomach, which slows down the rate at which the stomach empties. This type of fiber tends to slow down the movement of food throughout the digestive tract and is not related to regularity. Instead, it’s been shown to help lower blood cholesterol and help control blood sugar levels in diabetics.
    What are good dietary sources of fiber?
    It’s important to eat both soluble and insoluble fiber because both are vital to your health. A good source of fiber contains at least three grams of fiber per serving and a high-fiber source has at least five grams per serving.

Some good choices for foods containing insoluble fiber include: wheat and corn bran, whole-grain products (such as bread, pasta, and cereals), fruits, and vegetables. If you’re looking for soluble fiber, choose foods that contain oats and oat bran, beans (chick peas, kidney beans, baked beans, and black beans), and fruits, and vegetables.

Notice that fruits and vegetables do “double duty” and are a great source of both types of fiber. Avoid fruit and vegetable juices; stick with the whole fruit or vegetable to maximize your fiber intake. It’s best to eat the peels (after thoroughly washing them, of course) and edible seeds. When shopping for fiber-rich foods, choose those that are less processed. These will contain more fiber, since refining processes strip away foods’ natural fiber. Finally, if you’re cooking a dish with meat, consider substituting some of the meat with beans.

How much fiber do you need each day?
    The recommended intake is about 20 to 25 grams per day of total fiber from food sources, depending on your age and gender. Most people can handle up to 35 grams a day without any ill effects. The good news is that it’s not hard to get enough fiber into your diet. Eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day plus a serving or two of whole grains or beans will easily get you to 20 grams of fiber a day. A serving of most fruits, vegetables and whole grains contains anywhere from three to six grams of fiber. New dietary guidelines recommend seven to nine servings of fiber a day, depending on age, gender, and physical activity.

What’s the best way to increase my fiber intake?
    I always recommend adding fiber to your diet very gradually, as your body needs time to adjust. Adding fiber too quickly can produce excess gas, bloating, and diarrhea. A good rule of thumb is to add a serving (containing three to five grams of fiber) a week. Read the labels on foods carefully to calculate your daily fiber intake — the grams can add up quickly.

Remember to also drink plenty of water along with increasing your fiber intake, since fiber helps prevent constipation by acting like a big colon sponge — it holds on to water to push the waste through and keep it moving.

Why can’t I just take a fiber supplement?
    The best sources of fiber are dietary, since you get the added value of ingesting the other nutrients in that food, including vitamins and minerals. Our bodies are built to digest nutrients obtained from the food supply, not those that have been isolated and put into concentrated supplements.

Fiber supplements may have a role in your diet if you really struggle with reaching the daily recommendation, but you should check with your doctor before taking them. You can also sprinkle some fiber into soups, pasta sauce, or other liquids to boost your daily fiber intake, but remember to add no more than three grams per serving. Some foods on the market, such as yogurt and orange juice, actually contain added fiber.

Why do people say that fiber is good for weight loss?
    A fiber-rich diet contributes to effective weight management for a number of reasons. These include:

Many fiber-rich foods are also low in calories. Fiber is good at binding to water, which tends to provide a greater sense of fullness in the stomach and great sense of feeling satisfied after eating. High-fiber foods usually require a person to chew more, which slows down the rate of eating. When you eat slower, biological signals from the stomach have a chance to tell your brain that you’re content (this takes about 15 to 20 minutes to happen).The body does not absorb fiber, so fiber is essentially calorie-free. :love:

Dr. Fernstrom’s Bottom Line: Whether you are looking for help with your cholesterol, blood sugar, constipation, or weight control, increasing your daily fiber intake might just be the missing link to a healthier lifestyle. If you make the commitment to eating less processed foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables, you’ll meet your fiber needs without extra effort.
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    interesting. . . thanks for sharing:smile:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    This is great insight and I appreciate your post. My nutritionist has pointed out to me many of times that I don't eat enough fiber in my diet.

I have gone over my 14g of fiber recommended by MFP but changed to 25g thanks to your post.

Thanks a lot and I'm going to do more research myself to make sure my fat, sodium, and other nutrients are tracked correctly ^_^

Cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I actually don't use the nutritional recommendations from MFP, and try to make sure I get at least 35g of fiber a day. Having made sure of this this week and lost 2.6 pounds (after weeks of "stagnation" in the weight loss, so to speak <grin>), I think I'm on the right track. After all, if the waste is exited, then you have fewer pounds left in you...right? :blushing:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I also changed my fiber requirement on MFP to get a minimum of 30g per day. Calories and fiber are really the only 2 things I pay attention to. It seems like if I aim for a high fiber diet, I can always stay in my calorie range, be full, and eat healthy. And my GI tract likes it too!:happy:
  • Fiber is great! I've been a member of Weight Watchers for the past 3 years. Everything in Weight Watchers is based on a Calorie / Fat / Fiber equation. That's how the POINTS values are determined. So I agree with you - more fiber is DEFINITELY better.

And if I may be frank here, women tend to suffer from um...you know...as another poster said, more "stagnation" when it comes to digestion. So it can only help us to have more fiber in our diets every day! And when you're eating less food every day - and less oil - fiber can only be a plus.

Thanks for the post - and article!
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Thanks for the insight on the relationship between taking fiber (pure bran, metamucil,. et al) and bloating ... I made that mistake :grumble:
    Thomas
  • sitarami
    Helawat,
    Congrats! Hooray for you!:bigsmile:
  • sitarami
    I actually don't use the nutritional recommendations from MFP, and try to make sure I get at least 35g of fiber a day. Having made sure of this this week and lost 2.6 pounds (after weeks of "stagnation" in the weight loss, so to speak <grin>), I think I'm on the right track. After all, if the waste is exited, then you have fewer pounds left in you...right? :blushing:

Slieber,
    Way to go! Cool Runnings! "Better out than in", that's what I always say. The excess waste in our colon is heavy and even slows down our metabolism. With the help of adequate water, the fiber helps to push the waste out of our bodies, which even results in brighter, more beautiful, more healthy looking skin. And since you're seeing such wonderful results I too will up my fiber quota to 35g.
    Thanks!
  • sitarami
    I also changed my fiber requirement on MFP to get a minimum of 30g per day. Calories and fiber are really the only 2 things I pay attention to. It seems like if I aim for a high fiber diet, I can always stay in my calorie range, be full, and eat healthy. And my GI tract likes it too!:happy:

Its great, just look for the fiber and every thing just seems to fall into place!
  • sitarami
    Fiber is great! I've been a member of Weight Watchers for the past 3 years. Everything in Weight Watchers is based on a Calorie / Fat / Fiber equation. That's how the POINTS values are determined. So I agree with you - more fiber is DEFINITELY better.

And if I may be frank here, women tend to suffer from um...you know...as another poster said, more "stagnation" when it comes to digestion. So it can only help us to have more fiber in our diets every day! And when you're eating less food every day - and less oil - fiber can only be a plus.

Thanks for the post - and article!

Thanks for the info on WW. My cousin, too, has been very successful with her WW program. So they are obvious on to something. :smile:

I am curious though, about fat requirements and coconut oil. Have you heard that coconut oil actually helps put the body into a fat burning zone? :tongue: And some body builders have 3-6 table spoons/day!:noway: Has anyone had any positive experience with Coconut oil? It has a laundry list of fantastic health benefits. Living in the islands, I can literally climb a tree, pick my coconut and expel the oil...so just wondering if anyone had some positive results with coconut oil. :smokin:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I just changed my Food Diary to track Fiber ilo Fat and it gave me a goal of 48 per day? Doesn't that sound high considering what this article recommends?

did anyone else get a goal that high?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I haven't changed anything, as I said, but I know what I read somewhere was that 32g was the MINIMUM required for good, healthy digestion. So higher isn't necessarily bad. I think, actually, more would be better in that you would feel full longer, have more energy, etc.

Just make sure to keep the water /liquidintake high, as well or it could get quite painful (as it can even at 35g, which is the minimum I try to get each day).

Once I hit that 35g magic number, I consider anything more to be a plus.
  • pmkelly409
    Wait a sec...now i went back into my Diary and it changed to 15! Way too low...guess it hadn't saved when I initially changed it.

I love FiberOne Cereal in the am with Fruit, 1 cup of that is like 28-30g fiber, so I am going to continue that.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    How do you change just your fiber goal?
  • pmkelly409
    Go to your Food Diary Tab, under the Food Heading you will see five options - click on the last one - Settings. The top box gives you a list of all of the different nutritional tracking options available. Calories is a constant - cannot be changed. Change to whichever option you want to track! that simple. I had to then exit out of the Food Tab and go back in to see the update. The great thing is that you can go back to previous days and see the results as well!

I frequently will go in and change mine around look at the previous week and see what I can change for the next week. Like Subway sandwiches - advertised to be low fat, but WAY high in Sodium. So if I have to have one of those I will watch my sodium for the rest of the day. Last weekend I was feeling very bloated and went and checked my sodium was high and my fiber was low!

Good Luck!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    To change the just the fiber goal, go under My Home, Goals, Custom. Type in the amount of fiber in grams you want to consume each day.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Thanks for posting that. I am always posting that people need to eat more fiber. Ever since I saw Dr. Oz on Oprah say that women need a minimum of 25 g a day, I have been focusing on that and meet it, if not surpass it. Sometimes I get WAY more. A Fiber One bar has 9 g in it! That and some strawberries is a decent start and makes a good dent in your fiber needs.
  • sitarami
    Thanks for all the great info guys! This is most encouraging. I too saw the dr oz segment on oprah.
  • sitarami
    Thanks for all the great info guys! This is most encouraging. I too saw the dr oz segment on oprah.