thanksgiving?

thintowin87
thintowin87 Posts: 9 Member
whats everyone having ? just curious

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    everything that I can fit into my stomach …turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, stuffing brea, all the pies, and lots of alcohol….!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    we had (in October) turkey, veggies, stuffing, salads, desserts, idk. Stuff like that. I only ate veggies, turkey, chocolate, and some macaroons I brought. Oh and potatoes with marge. I'm GF though so I couldn't eat the gravy or stuffing.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Roasted Cauliflower Garlic Soup: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-garlic-soup

Turkey
    Sweet Potato and Oyster Dressing (One tradition from each side of the family)
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-thanksgiving-menu.html

Haricot Vert and Tomatoes
    Yield: 12 servings

2 lbs. haricot vert green beans, trimmed
    2 pint grape tomatoes
    1 Tbsp. walnut oil
    1 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Steam green beans, covered, 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Shake dry and place in a salad bowl. Add tomatoes, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Turkey. Corn casserole. Broccoli casserole. Mashed potatoes. Meatballs. Celery and cream cheese. Rolls. Pumpkin roll. Cherry oatmeal squares. Shrimp and cocktail sauce.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    I am eating whatever I want at dinner. I usually skip the alcohol and dessert. :p
  • llsenich
    llsenich Posts: 14 Member
    I'm going with a vegan choice. There are a variety of products. I'm not associated with the companies in anyway---but it does seem like an alternative choice as the traditional choice plateful of food takes about 7.7 hours to work off in exercise according to one of the morning news broadcasts these are low calorie---there are just so many alternative choices that actually taste like meat but are not. Doesn't have the antibiotics, hormone additives and they are not radiated......anyway 9e5lb2f93nbx.jpg
    xrikobalqa0l.jpg
    . so... I'm hoping this photo link is allowable by forum standards.https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT8g5LHJUetkAcmxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBzOG1rbzMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1FJMDQ5XzE-?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-103&sz=all&va=tofurkey
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Turkey, gravy, roll, mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus, a jello dessert, and pumpkin pie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    llsenich wrote: »
    I'm going with a vegan choice. There are a variety of products. I'm not associated with the companies in anyway---but it does seem like an alternative choice as the traditional choice plateful of food takes about 7.7 hours to work off in exercise according to one of the morning news broadcasts these are low calorie---there are just so many alternative choices that actually taste like meat but are not. Doesn't have the antibiotics, hormone additives and they are not radiated......anyway 9e5lb2f93nbx.jpg
    xrikobalqa0l.jpg
    . so... I'm hoping this photo link is allowable by forum standards.https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT8g5LHJUetkAcmxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBzOG1rbzMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1FJMDQ5XzE-?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-103&sz=all&va=tofurkey

this just makes me sad …:(
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Sticking mostly with turkey and veggies, maybe a small portion of mashed potatoes
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited November 2014
    For the entree: Prime rib, ham, turkey breast, mac & cheese, candied yams, green beans, collard greens, scalloped potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and rolls. For appetizers: mini philly cheesesteaks and mini baby back ribs. For dessert: Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, cupcakes, mini fried apple tarts, and banana pudding. For alcohol: margaritas and bourbon as well as wine. :drinker:
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Turkey, sausage & sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry relish and a green salad. Dessert will be apple clafoutis and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Wine with dinner, coffee with dessert.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    panes.jpg

Turkey, Salvadorean style :p
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    I am smoking one 14 pound whole turkey and one 8 pound turkey breast.

For smoke, I will be using pecan chunks with a little hickory and mesquite mixed in.

Will brine the birds on Wednesday.

Serving it at 1:00 PM (22 lbs at 30-40 minutes per pound = about 11 to 15 hours on smoker (depending on weather) = long night)

I always figure on 1 lb of turkey per person...a little more for leftovers...a little less if there are a lot of snacks before the meal.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, corn casserole, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. Can't wait!
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    No sugar added pumpkin pie is amazing! I also made Cranberry sauce with splenda and there was no difference in the outcome.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    My husband is smoking a turkey. I'm making mashed potatoes, gravy, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and bourbon glazed carrots. For dessert, I'm making a pumpkin cheesecake, with gingersnap crust and spiced bourbon pecan pie. For appetizers/drinking snacks, I plan on doing bacon wrapped potato bites, and a trio of hummus (pumpkin, spicy and plain) with pita chips, carrots and bell pepper. I absolutely love to cook, so we go hard for Thanksgiving.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm eating turkey, steamed broccoli, baked yam, cranberry orange relish, and pumpkin custard made with ff egg mix, skim milk and splenda. I also plan to walk a few miles!
  • tori26001
    tori26001 Posts: 1 Member
    We are vegetarians - so we did a dry run of some things today to test:
    Quinoa, dates, pistachios stuffed in Acorn squash
    - http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-quinoa-stuffed-sweet-du-72643
    then made some Mushroom gravy
    - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chef-johns-mushroom-gravy/

We will also have some Brussel Sprouts, pearl onions with peas, homemade cranberry sauce, some tatziki, fresh veggies to dip it in.
    - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tzatziki-recipe.html

Also some pecan pie and pumpkin pie for dessert.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Cranberry Pecan stuffed Bone in Pork Chops
    Apple Parsnip Mash
    Fresh steamed spinach
    Pumpkin Tiramisu
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Roast turkey
    baked yams
    broccoli
    home-made dinner rolls
    cranberry/onion/orange relish
    turkey dressing wturkey gravy
    veggie tray or chop-chop salad
    dessert tray of pies and biscotti cookies to go with tea or coffee

• ChrisHoffman72
    ChrisHoffman72 Posts: 708 Member
    A little of anything and everything. Then back at being good the next day
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Turkey
    Mashed potatoes or sweet potato casserole
    Green beans with EVOO and garlic
    Honey glazed carrots & turnips
    Apple cranberry walnut salad

Not sure what I will have for dessert
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Roast turkey
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Stuffing
    Fresh corn
    Creamed lima beans
    Veggie tray
    Orange Cranberry relish
    Texas Roadhouse rolls with butter or honey butter

Pumpkin pie,whipped cream,cookies.
    All homemade except the rolls.

Yum Yum :D
  • thintowin87
    thintowin87 Posts: 9 Member
    i think were having turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, orange fluff and baked beans. a few other sides like suddenly salad deviled eggs rolls and a corn casserole. also pumpkin pies and a buttermilk brownies and lemon pie. seen alot of good idea from all your post !!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Everything, , , , in moderation.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    I discovered a sweet potato dish that doesn't cause you to blow it.

2 lb sliced sweet potatoes
    2 peeled, sliced apples
    2 small shallots, chopped
    1 tsp chopped ginger root
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup apple cider
    1 tsp curry powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup chopped dates

I mine I didn't have dates, so they weren't used, but I did add a chopped fennel bulb.

Saute shallots, ginger root in vegetable oil until soft.
    I then added the fennel and curry powder, adding a little salt and pepper, and cooked for a few minutes.
    Add the juice and cider and pour the mix the sliced apples and sweet potato that you've put into a bowl. Season if necessary.

Mix all the ingredients and pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Take off the foil and continue to cook for another 20-25 minutes.

It tasted like the holiday but was NOT sweet.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    A little bit of turkey, corn from my Aunt's farm, mashed sweet potatoes, and my one big indulgence...my Grandpa's homemade noodles.
  • The usuals...turkey and gravy, boxed stuffing with mushrooms added, lasagna (my family's Italian), baked yams, green beans, canned cranberry sauce, wine, and pie (and probably Italian butter cookies, and Ferrero Rochers, etc etc.) I have Thanksgiving at my mom's house each year.
  • tofurkey. All of the Tofurkey. And steamed veggies, and maybe some of my not-so-famous-but-still-delicious vegan pumpkin bread. I'm actually not a huuuge fan of Thanksgiving food, as I'm a lover of raw fruits and veggies. But mostly fruit. Thanksgiving seems to have a lacking of traditional foods containing fruit. Haha.