Workout plan for young, overweight couple?

Hello all! I've been a member of MFP for over a year now and am just now coming back to it....my husband and I are trying to have a baby and we realize that our weight isn't helping with that. I am 5'9" and 230 pounds. My husband is 5'10" and 230 pounds as well. We just got a gym membership and will be starting our new plan in the morning. I just need to know if anyone can recommend what a good start is for my hubby and me......three days a week at the gym? 5? All 7?

Any sort of advice, really, will be helpful :)

Replies

• court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    I'm gonna throw out the inappropriate, yet very appropriate…bedroom cardio? Practice for that baby & burn calories together ;)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Depends on what you're trying to do, and what your goals are in your fitness level, i.e. get leaner while retaining muscle, just lose weight not caring about muscle loss also, etc.

Remember though, you can never out train a bad diet, so just going to the gym is not going to be enough unless you're going to commit to the changes in food consumption as well.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Me and my girlfriend go as many times a week as we can. I think maybe start with 3 days a week and go from there. The better you start to feel the more you will want to go!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I would start with 3 days and once it becomes a routine add more days. I personally workout 6 days a week (usually a run in the morning and hubby our youngest son and I go for a 4 mile walk after dinner). Plus I hit the gym usually 5-6 days a week (they have a kid play area which is the only time my 4 year old gets to interact with kids his age). My schedule isn't usual but it works for me. The most important thing is that you pick a schedule YOU CAN STICK to. Don't start at 5-7 days if your going to burn out in two weeks, it is by far better to do 3 months of 3 days a week than 3 weeks of 5 days a week. Usually smaller changes (adding more changes when you are use to the first ones) is easier to stick to. Feel free to add me if you wish
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    most important thing is your diet. Eat appropriate foods(micro and macros) at a moderate deficit. work out as much as you want to. A couple of times a week is good, more if you want to.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    I'm gonna throw out the inappropriate, yet very appropriate…bedroom cardio? Practice for that baby & burn calories together ;)

;)

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member

LOL that was my first thought too- more sex! HA!

But seriously, I'd say to try out whatever you find the most pleasant. I don't think anyone disputes the best exercise is the one you stick to.

My recent personal experience leads me to suggest you start slowly and don't take on too much at once. You don't want to hurt/injure yourself and then be set back waiting to heal. I'd say take advantage of whatever training/teaching the gym offers to educate you on the different equipment and such.

Other than that my observation from around here would suggest some amazing results with lifting. I am much shorter than you and started heavier and am having easy enough success with diet change alone so I can't echo enough the importance of having your intake in check. Though you are definitely on the right track for health reasons to try to incorporate more activity.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    When I first started, I focused on my diet (staying within my calorie goal) and exercising 3 days a week. Since doing this for close to a year now, I now focus on staying within my calorie goal, while concentrating on meeting my macros. Along with that, I exercise roughly 6 days a week.

Find a routine that works for you and hubby, and build on it over time. Wishing you the best!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Go for the induction and the gym staff will probably set you up for free if you ask them.

The first thing is that safety is everything and you can overdo thing or injure yourself. Its a cliche saying but listen to your body and you get a feel for the diffeence between exerting or when its simply too much.

Id hope they set you up with a mix of cardio and resisitance trianing. When you go to the gym dont be worried you are doing great, its strange, but everyone else is interested in their own thing and getting out. Dont be too self conscious.

Imo do the weight machines first. assuming the gym will set you up with a program and pay special attention to form. take a pen and paper note the name of the machine and weight you use. Pay attention or look at youtube vids of correct use of the machine or weights. Doing the exercise correctly requires you to use the correct form. That will be the safest and most effective way. Focus on form for safety and performance reasons. Uoui can worry about wieght later but everyone starts somewehere, dont worry and dont be impatient pr embarassed you cnat lift as much as others who have been at it for years. You will see improvement so the targets are your own.

Resistance training is important as it limits the amount of muscle loss when losing weight plus you cna benefit from being stronger, better tone, bone density and other health benefits. Ask in the fitness seftion of the forum for lifting guidance. Make a note of which machines and weights or settings you were at so you have a record and can start from the same the next time. Bottle of water and small towel or paper towels is good as well.

After then you can do the cardio, which tends to burn more calories. they trainer will show you all 4 standard ones amd just pick the one you like. Start with an amount you feel comfu with and on a setting you feel comfy with. Keep adding duration or increasing pace as you get fitter. You wnat to push yourself so your heart beat raises and you are slightly out of breath. manage as much as you cna take a rest and try the other machines. The common ones are treadmill, cycle, eliptical and rower. Use them all or just the ones you like. A reasonable cardio session is 30 minutes.

To lose weight then 80% is diet and portion control. the gym can be highly useful but you need to do a lot of cardio if you wnat it to make a significnat contribution to weight loss.

Id start 3x a week and then if you like it or want more progress you can increase it to 4 or 5. Dont burn yourself out though. Dont get injured. Dont be put off you will notice improvements soon if you keep going. Do focus on form and safety. You should have one complete rest day. Tty and move/walk more in normal daily activity as well it all helps.

Go and ask on the fitness section and they cna give you more specific advice.