TOTALLY OBSESSING

Options
Hey guys,
I have always been the type of person either totally obsessing about losing weight or just ignoring it. I've noticed in the last week that I all my thoughts are about weight loss and it the process. It's affecting my work and my time with my family. I don't want to be obssessive about it but feel like if I don't, I won't succeed. I want a healthy lifestyle to be second nature. Any suggestions?

A

Replies

• My600PdLife
    My600PdLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just try to stay busy because if I don't, any idle time that my mind may have will totally be on food, exercise, and weight loss.
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have the same problem. Ever since I decided to take this seriously and try my hardest, its all I think about. My husband even said that the only thing I have to talk about is weight loss, exercise or this site. I'm afraid if I try to avoid the subject, that I will fall off the wagon. I don't think its a bad thing, just something that everyone is going to have to get used to. I found myself at work on this site instead of actual work, so that's the only part I need to work on. Just keep buys. If you find out something else, please share. Good luck on your journey!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    im the same and my partner is getting annoyed with me--i cant wait to get on here to enter my food and keep to the targets with all sorts of strategies--i am fretting now about never being able to consume my calories when all my other levels are normally pretty good--and how do you know your in starvation mode??
  • Vegebel
    Vegebel Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been on this site before and completely obsessed and lost weight. But here I am again 6 months later having to start over. Being obsessive about food and exercise isn't a practical long-term solution. You have to let eating right become second nature, and make exercise part of your daily routine. My mom sent me this article called Eat Like Skinny Women that suggests a more relaxed attitude toward food is your best chance at long-term success.

http://www.prevention.com/health/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/eat-like-skinny-women/article/2a2468f271903110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Come to think about it I have the same problem. I think if you plan your meals in advance, which I am not goo at, you can eliminate some of the obsession. When I am home and having breakfast, I put the computer on and log in my food. When I finish my exercise I log in my amount. We take one obsession to another. This is the healthy one. When I have down time I think of what I can do to burn some calories. We have got to get a hobby! LOL When someone comes up with a solution email me.:flowerforyou:
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    mictur - I think MFP is a hobby :laugh: I would hate to think of it as an addiction. :bigsmile:
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    im the same and my partner is getting annoyed with me--i cant wait to get on here to enter my food and keep to the targets with all sorts of strategies--i am fretting now about never being able to consume my calories when all my other levels are normally pretty good--and how do you know your in starvation mode??

Starvation mode is when your calories, in theory, drop below 1200 per day. Despite the restriction of calories, you will stop losing weight. Your body thinks you're starving and tries to hold on to all the nutrition it receives to keep you from wasting away. If you're having trouble getting in full meals, make up some snacks you can take with you on the go. Snag a handful of almonds or mix up a meal replacement shake, there are some very good ones out there.

I guess with fitness and eating healthy, I make it an ever present reminder in the back of my mind instead of an obsession. It is great to be aware of your health and your goals, but if it takes over your ENTIRE day it can become overwhelming. Remember all of the other things that make you who you are, and remember to stay connected to those around you in your every day life. Enjoy all of the things you love! I think that the more you settle into your routines, the more this will become just another part of who you are, and less of an obsession. You will make healthy choices naturally, crave the bad stuff less, and will want to be active and exercise just because it makes you feel good and gives you that energy boost. Good luck to all of you, just being aware of your health is already putting you on the right track to reaching your goals!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I think that having a healthy lifestyle is about finding a middle balence. Obsessing about food and weightloss isn't part of a healthy lifestyle change. Maybe set aside certain times of the day to log your food, and pre-log all of your meals. That way you are set in what you are eating and you have times that you should focus on that. Maybe think of fun ways to exercise with your family? That way you can still be thinking about weightloss but this time in a fun way your whole family can enjoy and when you are out there you probably won't think of the calores... (tennis? hiking? roller blading? I am not sure :D)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessing. I've kept myself busy this morning, cleaning and hope tomorrow goes better at work because I have a ton of stuff to do.

Amanda
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    good to see your too busy to get stuck here--cleaning is great exercise -i went to the gym and have sat on my bum ever since-my log of snacking has lengthened and its getting late for dinner so youve done well!!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I did this with my previous weight losses, and I believe that is why my weight loss never stuck and I always went back to my old ways. I truly feel like this time is different and I feel like I can maintain this lifestyle forever because I have done just that...made it a lifestyle. I live my life and just make better choices food-wise and don't allow food to rule what I do. If I want ice cream, I have all natural frozen yogurt and get a mini size instead of freaking out and not having any at all. If I want a burger, I have one on a sandwich thin, home made, with 2% cheese and no mayo - instead of not having one at all. I work foods that I enjoy into my calorie allotment and don't deprive myself (except for my one week of no processed foods lol).

You have to make this part of your everyday instead of making it all about your day, otherwise you will eventually go crazy and give up.

It's just your mindset. I don't know how to advise on how to change that. I just did it and so far it's been awesome.

Good luck!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If being absorbed in a cause, or fixated on something - without freaking out - is an obsession, then so be it.
    It works for me whenever I want to achieve something that really matters.