Weight is not coming off....Why??

Options
13»

Replies

• colindp
    colindp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd say a bike ride like that would burn around 350-400 calories, max. I've used a HRM for spinning before. While I appreciate spinning is indoors, there are no hills, just resistance, and no wind or anything to worry about, but it's close enough. I burned about 350 calories in 45 mins of hardcore spinning.

Maybe vary your exercise a bit. If you cycle a lot your body is probably used to it. I second strength training.

I also agree with logging food and weighing to to be accurate, although some people do take it a bit far.

Thanks for the advice to be honest although I commute daily by bike i vary the route each day as much as i can to prevent becoming to used to the routine, I also undertake the odd spin class will look at the strength training element as well
  • colindp
    Options
    I would be very wary of anything that told me I burned that many calories bike riding, mostly downhill.

First, how does one go mostly downhill (11m ascent, with 63m descent)? Do you get a ride back up again?

Second, most people would be maxed out burning 1000kcal an hour, much less in just over half an hour! I biked a similar distance this weekend, on a crappy 3 speed, 20" wheel bike, and I still doubt that I burned even 500 calories.

Yes I ride back again...this is my daily commute to and from the office
  • colindp
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Now that you are active again, have you noticed any other body changes; are you trimming up?

Yes....so that's a big bonus

• colindp
    Options
    For those that have suggested I use an app I was using Endomondo tracker but given the extreme overestimation of calories burned I have switched to Strava...the same 18km ride this morning Strava says 535 calories, which would still seem high based on some of the comments here. attached is an average day intake....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2014-11-20
  • colindp
    Options
    Is the OP eating back exercise calories though? If not, the calories he burns/thinks he burns are irrelevant really. I don't ever eat back exercise calories.

Simple answer No I'm not....I am not one of those that believes if something contains half the fat then eating double the amount is OK!!!

• colindp
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone I take all your comments and advice on board, will stick with it and see how things progress.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    colindp wrote: »
    So to recap burning approx 2100 per day, intake approx 1800 per day...weight loss per week 0???

Obviously you're over-estimating your burn and under-estimating your intake.

Open your diary.

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I see 2 things .. you are not burning those calories. I cycle and those numbers seem way out to lunch. And .. if I read this right, you are eating 1800 and burning 2100. Hmm .. that is -300 if my grade 2 math is right. So .. sorry OP, smells very fishy. I would agree with what has been said .. over estimating your burn, and under estimating your calories. The result .. maintenance. I would just assume you are not weighing your food as I cannot see your diary .. thus the real problem here.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Also keep in mind that you HAVE lost weight. As you lose weight, the weight loss rate will slow, sometimes becoming excruciatingly slow. If your goal weight requires 1800 calories per day to maintain and you are eating 1700 calories per day (a hypothetical example) it will take a month to lose one pound. Add in fluctuations from sodium, exercise, timing of stepping on the scale, etc., and you can think your aren't making progress, when you are! Keep at it, keep adjusting, mix in a few lower calorie days, burn a few more calories on other days. And yes, everyone is correct, a food scale is a must. Log faithfully and be patient. Remember, this is a new lifestyle, so take the time to learn everything you can about healthy eating and exercise so that you can continue in your new habits without having to give it a second thought. Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I think the 500 or so for the ride is still high, but definitely closer to reality. Good change. I know a lot of bike folks that love strava.