Suffering from bipolar disorder with weight gain

Options
I was able to lose about 40 lbs in about a year total. I started off at 163 lbs and was able to go down to 125 lbs. Right now I am at 131 lbs. I've been gaining weight again because of my bipolar disorder. I think I might be in depression right now. I sleep so much that I have no motivation to do anything. Trying to go to the gym is a big struggle for me now. Not only that but I have been eating terribly as well. I gained 6 lbs within one month and it's been clinging on to me for the past 2 months already. How can I get motivated again? I used to love working out and now it's like the total opposite because I am so exhausted all the time... I need to lose the 6 lb weight gain. It's very disappointing...

Replies

• cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you, but I started at 262. Still struggling to get to 40 lbs lost. Do you have someone who could be your food and or workout buddy? I find having someone who doesn't have my mood swings doing this with me very helpful.
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication such as seroquel? I found it had impacts on my ability to maintain weight :(
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar so I feel you. When I went on Seroquel, I gained 40 pounds and then when I went on Saphris, I gained 10-15 pounds. I know how hard it is to find the motivation but I have found that exercise helps relieve some of my symptoms.
  • sarareis78
    sarareis78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its good to know you were able to lost weight, I am really really scared because I have been reading online it is impossible, I was with seroquel 300 for 10 years, and I gained 90 pounds, this last year I have been reducing seroquel by the dosages of 25mgs, I am now with the dosage 100mg. And you know what this doctor I have now says I didn't even need it! I still need to lose all this weight now... its a struggle, but I hope I will be able to do it. Going to the Gym, and count my calories. I Hope!
  • micheledarley2012
    micheledarley2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on 500 mg Seroquel too. It makes it so hard to lose anything. I recently got diagnosed with hypothyroidism which is a side effect of lithium. The doctor said that the medication can help with weight loss. I work out at least four times a week with cardio videos and a little bit of weights at home. I have still not lost weight, but I'm not losing either. I'm up 50lbs. He said that once my thyroid is normal he will put me on a weight-loss medication to help me lose the weight. it's so frustrating to eat so healthy and exercise so much and not see the scale move at all.