• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's excellent

Sounds awful tbh...

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. When I started running this summer I always listened to music. If anything it was not hear myself gasping for air. Over time I've found myself getting bored with the same playlists and streaming radio stations. Though I have to admit, hearing the right song deep into a run can give you a burst of energy.

I may give podcasts or books a try again. I still don't think I could run without listening to anyting. When I go to the gym, I usually do 10 minutes on the treadmill without headphones. It's feels like an hour.

I was also suprised to find out that some running events don't allow headphones.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Sometimes music can interfere with my pacing, for long runs when I don't want to go to fast I listen to The Marathon Show. Joe is pretty funny and keeps your mind off your run while not distracting you so much you miss things like cars, bikes, other runners, etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/marathon-show-blog-talk-radio/id379076483?mt=2
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Change up your route and run for length, not distance, and see how far you can run.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I don't think I could run without podcasts. I personally really like "stuff you should know" (stuffyoushouldknow.com/), "Radiolab" (radiolab.org/), "this American Life" (thisamericanlife.org/), and "the Moth" (themoth.org/). And then there is always political stuff if you want to really get your blood pumping.
    ^
    ^
    ^_____This. Also, I know it's kind of trendy, but TED Radio Hour is good too. I also second the trail running. Lots to pay attention to ;)

• throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I definitely love podcasts!!! Radiolab, this american life, serial, wait wait don't tell me, fresh air, etc.

And like others have said, trail running is great. It keeps you fully engaged in every moment (looking at the scenery, figuring out where to put your feet, etc) so you don't get bored. However, my trails are currently under snow up at 8500 feet so not the best time of year for it...