Back pain and exercise

leasah
leasah Posts: 107 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Good morning MFP folks, just wondering if anyone that has tried P90x, 30 Day Shred etc, can comment on back stress/strain.
I started a couch to 5k last year and at week 3 injured my lower back, and it is still is not right a year later. I can walk, do the elliptical without pain, but every time I have tried to ease back in to running my lower back pain starts back up. Ive tried stretching more before and after with minimal results. I would very much love to try an exercise program like the two I mention above but I just cannot afford to hurt my back again. I have 3 small girls and full time job so I'm curious if anyone with back issues has tried a program and found it to be back friendly.
Thanks.

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    Have you gone to the dr about your back? They would be able to help you determine what you can do to get past that. My lower back will hurt some but nothing bad or serious. I've found that after strenthening the core and back muslces, the pain went away - this happened for me through doing the 30 day shred.
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    I have found that as I exercise more, my back hurts less. I suffered from sciatica. I think the core-strengthening effect is having a fantastic impact on my back. However, I recommend you see your doc and/or a good sports physio before continuing.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    My physical therapist told me just last week that MY low back pain could be caused by an injury to the hip flexor. He has been working on mine, and I am feeling 95% better.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    THanks to all...I guess I need to head back to the doctor about this.
This discussion has been closed.