How do you get your water in

Options

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of water based foods like watermelon and cucumbers, soups. I drink mine in hot tea (2 cups of English breakfast in the AM, then up to 8-9 cups of various flavored herbal teas. I do drink water, especially during the summer but I'm always cold so it's tea right now!

I think once you start drinking it consistently it'll become a habit and you may end up prefering it instead of finding it boring.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    mave34 wrote: »
    I don't like to count tea's and coffees as part of my water intake mainly because it's caffeinated which dehydrates. Seems counter productive to me. Habits are hard to change it's a conscious decision to always have a bottle of water with you. I have no problem during the week because it seems to work nicely with my work days but come weekends I fail at the water thing miserably. You have to just make it part of your day. :)

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

Excerpt: Our data show that there were no significant differences across a wide range of haematological and urinary markers of hydration status between trials. These data suggest that coffee, when consumed in moderation by caffeine habituated males provides similar hydrating qualities to water.

Blasphemy!

Only water is water. I read it on MFP so I know it's true.
  • pnash4508
    pnash4508 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Routine is important. I drink it first thing in the morning before I do anything else. I drink it the last thing just before bed. I keep water with me at all times. I set an alarm on my fitbit to go off every 2 hours during the day. When the alarm vibrates, I finish the water beside me and get up to refill it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Like this...

diddy_drink.gif
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a 65 oz bottle that I finish throughout the day.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Don't count coffee. It does dehydrate you and depletes vitamins for every cup you have to drink another cup of water. The dr. Told me this. He said to quit drinking coffee if I can.

Doctors, surprisingly, don't get a lot of nutritional education in med. school and likely won't be up on new developments if it's not their area of specialization. 999tigger already pointed out that this was a myth.
    He said it was making me dehydrated. Probably since coffee was all I drank some days.

Unless you were drinking about a gallon of coffee a day, that was likely the problem.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lol. Thanks yall. I know how to drink water haha . I hate warm water and with the cold i def cant enjoy a nice glass of ice water anymore. Im going to start making unsweetened natural tea :) and carry around a huge bottle ") thanks guys
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Fruit teas are good. No caffeine, no calories... I drink a lot of fruit tea, especially now that it's getting cold!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My advice--- just do it. I drink a 75 oz bottle of water a day (refillable, bought from Walmart) minimum. I usually have one cup of coffee throughout the day and then drink another 8-32 oz of water after my 75 oz is gone. I don't like to add the flavored packets to my water because I feel like it makes my throat burn, but I do this, perhaps odd thing, where I buy pre-made tea sweetened with splenda (some on here aren't into faux sweeteners, but this is how I do it) by the brand Milo's and add a few splashes to my water in the evenings for a little taste.

It's an awful lot of water to drink, so I set little daily "mini goals" for myself. Each day I make sure I have half the bottle drank before lunch and the rest has to be drank (drunk?) by the time I leave to head home from work. Then I make sure I drink a glass with supper and one before bed. Maybe try this method? Mini water goals?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I keep water or other beverages near me at all times. I like fizzy water so I bought a Sodastream and make 2 liters of fizzy water in the morning to have for the day. Anything else I drink is a bonus.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a 30oz water bottle that I carry with me just about anywhere I go, and it sits next to me at work. I don't drink anything but water, even with meals, and occasionally milk if I want it in my morning protein shake.

I refill at least five times per day.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I drink it room temperature, unless it is really cold out. Then I might warm it a bit and even put in a tea bag. I keep a bottle with me at all times. Back before they were "cool," my sisters-in-law stocked us up on Threadless water bottles. They have a top that you can operate with one hand, so you can even take a sip while driving.

We used to store frozen fruits in our ice maker. A big problem when an ice drinker came over to visit and tried to help themselves...
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I keep water or other beverages near me at all times. I like fizzy water so I bought a Sodastream and make 2 liters of fizzy water in the morning to have for the day. Anything else I drink is a bonus.

I had fizzy water once and to me, it was the worst thing ever! haha. It tastes exactly like the water that comes out of the soda fountain with the syrup is out and needs to be changed.

• vanseters1956
    Options
    lots of decaf coffee
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    How do you get your water in
    Orally. I've had the occasional IV drip but that's not as much fun.

I wonder if an enema would work - it would be more fun than an IV anyway.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just drink it.

My Director buys bottled water and stores it in the fridge. I used to go through a good 5-6 of these a day until she reminded me I was killing the enviorment and drinking more water then even the Maintenance men were ...So now I reuse old bottles and freeze them. It's a habit now to just drink them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I'm hiking, but normally do not drink much or any water. Yes, I've gone days and probably weeks without drinking water. I'll drink diet soda (no calories, and your body does use the water regardless of what you heard) and get some water from the food I eat.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I do very well when working, on weekends not so much. I take 2 - 24oz bottles of water with me every day to work. I keep in my office what is called True Lemon and add 2 packets per bottle in it and mix. If you want, you could even add just 1 packet. It just adds lemon flavor to it. It is no calories, made with crystallized lemon, no preservatives and gluten free. It comes 32 packets to a box. I usually get it at Wal-mart Superstores in the sugar department. You can't find it in regular Wal-mart.
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I keep water bottles with me everywhere I go, even if i'm sitting on the couch. I've noticed that if it's there i'll drink it. But, with the weather being so cold lately I also get my water intake by drinking green tea. 0 calories and it's good for you.