Girl Runners and missed periods?

epappas09
epappas09 Posts: 50 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
9 months ago I began to miss my period for over a span of 6 months-- as i believe my weight became too low and my body stopped getting its period to make up for it. However 6 months later I began to get my period again, irregularly of course, but it still came. Now 3 months later my period did not come and I am getting worried
I have gained weight and am comfortable with myself..however I do run almost every day, and I think this may have something to do with it...
does any one have any suggestions?

Replies

• How old are you? It could be a result of not enough body fat, but it could also be a number of other gynecological issues (or hormonal). You should be seen by a GYN - it could be PCOS, a thyroid issue, etc. Many things. You should be seen - don't assume it's just due to running. Good luck to you!

ItalyBound
    Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    That's exactly it - your fitness level! From what I understand, it's very common for women of a certain level of fitness to not have periods, and often the fitter you are the less painful your period can be even if you don't skip it.

Funny story, my cousin is like this. She hurt her knee and had to stop running. About 10-11 months later, she and her husband had a baby girl. I have a feeling she didn't take the injury into consideration :wink:

But I'm sure you're fine, however if you feel at all uncomfortable about it - go see your doctor. He/she can probably put you on meds to have it every month if you'd prefer. :noway:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    it could be PCOS, a thyroid issue, etc. Many things.

Or this. Take it from the one with the medical degree :smile:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    This was like my sister. She is a major runner and she stopped getting periods for awhile because her body weight was too low. She is getting them again now and has found what weight and body fat % she needs to be at in order to have them because she wants to have a baby now.

I run everyday but not that much (2-6 miles) right now and I DEF. am not too thin but I have missed my last two periods. I am going to the doctor next week. Here is how she stated it to me: Having your period is healthy... not having it means there is something wrong in your body.

Go see a doctor.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I am a runner and I haven't had my period in about 6-7 months... I know not good. I have gone to the doc about it and they said its because I exercise so much, I can't remember the explanation that she had cause I went awhile ago... they gave me a prescription to take if I don't get my period every 3 months I'm supposed to take it... if you don't get it that often than the endometrial (sp?) lining gets too thick, thicker than it should be... I'm not very good about taking them probably because I like not having a period.. but my doctor wasn't too concerned about me not getting one, but you should have one every 3 months...

~Leash
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    i am a runner, although i'm not a major one. (i run about a half hour every day.) my weight is low however and i have not gotten my period in about 6 months. i'm going to see a gyno this week to see what they tell me. i saw a pediatrician not too long ago and he was not concerned at all. he said basically the opposite of what AnneElise's said. he said that its not necessary to get a period every month and as long as you get one every once in a while its just fine. i just hope that i can get one every once in a while... i may need to put on some weight to get it back. (uuuugh i don't want it back!) lol
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Eppa-

Menstruation isn't really that great of a science. Nor is it a reliable indicator of health. Having your period could mean you're healthy. Not having your period doesn't mean that you aren't healthy or is that there is something wrong. It IS an indicator of general health-just not that reliable.

I've heard somewhere that women during cave man days ovulated fewer times per year. And I can't find a source for that. But the science makes sense. Onset of menarche is often related to fat intake. As the amount of fats in our diets increase, the age of onset decreases. On an evolutionary scale.

I would first suggest a pregnancy test.

It is entirely possible that you could be running to the point that you've stopped having a cycle. I've had it happen that I stopped ovulating, but still had irregular bleeding. As Anne Elise posted, runners don't need to be too thin to miss a period. By the way, I'm healthy. I haven't had a period in months, and I'm not pregnant. I undergo regular blood testing because I'm an endurance runner in Texas. Body weight is important to menstruation, but proper nutrition is MUCH more important.

As previous posters have said, go see a doctor. There are many reasons to miss a period, and some of them can be HUGE PROBLEMS or huge blessings.

One of the things you'll need to be careful of is the "female athlete triad." Google it-basically it says that your dietary needs outstrip your intake. As a result, you get too thin, don't have a period, and start having bone loss.
  • epappas09
    epappas09 Posts: 50 Member
    thanks guys this really helps
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    i used to get mine twice a month!!!!!!!!!! running regulated it =]
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    See a doctor. It could be anything, or nothing, but the people inside your computer are not medical professionals.

Worth noting: my period suddenly stopped in 2002. Turned out to be because of a pituitary tumor. Why assume anything? It's worth getting checked out.
This discussion has been closed.