Hi all Vegetarians, Is it possible to meet ones protein quota for the day? HOW?

Options
2»

Replies

• 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am jumping up and down with happiness, that veg has so much protein, Thanks to all those veg protein suggestions made my day :) May you all also have a great day :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm trouble with this myself. I'm trying to avoid excessive carbs and up my protein intake... but I'm vegan, which means no milk or eggs. Aaaaand I can't do soy since apparently I don't tolerate it well at all. That leaves... well, beans and legumes. And seitan-type stuff. :pensive:

I actually made my own seitan stuff today from whole wheat, since we have 20 pounds of it lying around. It was just a tiny attempt with one cup of flour since it was my first time, but I have to say I'm impressed. I thought I would hate it, but it's so bland and tasteless that it hides well in a meal, and plenty of protein. A couple of pieces of it with beans and soy sauce (to complete the protein profile) and you are set for the day.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    I am jumping up and down with happiness, that veg has so much protein, Thanks to all those veg protein suggestions made my day :) May you all also have a great day :)

Some vegetables might have a protein content when you look at the percentage of the calories that are protein, but the volume of that particular food that you'd need to eat to get any appreciable amount of protein would be challenging to say the least.

Broccoli, as an example: 1,000g of raw broccoli (this is a LOT of broccoli) would have 340 calories/66g carb/4g fat/28g protein. Not that much protein when you think about how much food 1000g of raw broccoli would amount to, no matter how you cook it. Spinach per 1000g raw would be 230 cals with 30g protein, so slightly better, but spinach only cooks down so much. Just something to keep in mind :)
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Quinoa is a very good source of protein if you're a vegetarian or vegan, and it's a rare plant source of complete protein. Add hemp hearts or chia seeds to smoothies or salads or anything really. Nutritional yeast doesn't have a huge amount but it has some, and is also a good source of B vitamins.

Some recipe ideas and further suggestions here: http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins

Also a good article here comparing nutritional value of different seeds: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/the-super-seed-square-off-which-is-healthier/article17966889/

good luck !
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, as an example: 1,000g of raw broccoli (this is a LOT of broccoli) would have 340 calories/66g carb/4g fat/28g protein. Not that much protein when you think about how much food 1000g of raw broccoli would amount to, no matter how you cook it. Spinach per 1000g raw would be 230 cals with 30g protein, so slightly better, but spinach only cooks down so much. Just something to keep in mind :)

I don't know what It's like in other places but 1kg of spinach would cost something close to $30 here. I LOVE spinach, but not the $30 a day kind of love.
  • 111grace
    Options
    Haha about the spinach funny :), ( try growing your own). don't like spinach much anyway. Is lettuce the similar to spinach? in protein content?

Going to include peas, potato's, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower for sure thank you :) also going to give quinoa a test, never had it before, first I got to find it!

Thank you all dears for the suggestions much appreciation.

What I noticed here on mfp, a few people have different stuff their bodies cannot deal with, very interesting. and yet a lot of people can just about eat everything under the sun, so great for them :)

Love, Peace and {{{Big Hugs}}} to all :)
  • 111grace
    Options
    Also going to go hunting for quinoa and chia seeds, never had it before!!, hope I can find low tasty & delicious calorie recipes for these two things.
  • 111grace
    Options
    Thank you all delightful people for sharing your thoughts and ideas :) big hugs :)
  • routehero
    routehero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and Goji berries.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Some vegetables might have a protein content when you look at the percentage of the calories that are protein, but the volume of that particular food that you'd need to eat to get any appreciable amount of protein would be challenging to say the least.

^^^^This is an excellent point^^^^ Not a lot of protein bang-for-your-buck with greens. Also, most greens are not "complete" proteins (that is, they don't have all 9 essential amino acids in sufficient quantities), so in addition to consuming large volumes, I imagine you would have to mix and match a large variety of greens throughout the day to meet you protein needs, especially since you don't eat beans, nuts, or soy. I'm guessing it can be done, but wow, I wouldn't even know where to start.

The chia and quinoa you are considering are good choices as complete proteins, and so are hempseed, buckwheat, amaranth, and seaweed (!). Carb mileage may vary, so watch out (doing the keto thing and all..). Good luck, have fun trying new foods :-)

PS - Quinoa is yummy with PESTO!!!!!!!!

• Dangerrosive
    Dangerrosive Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm always going over on protein. I'm not a vegan. I eat quest bars because they are amazing. Low carb, delicious and lots of protein. (Cookies and cream and cookie dough are the best imo)