Black Friday

Options
JenAndSome
JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
edited November 2014 in Chit-Chat
Circumstances in life being what they are, I work full time and have a couple of part time jobs to help ends meet. The most negative consequence of this is coming this week because on of my part time employers happens to be a place that is opening Thanksgiving evening for Black Friday since 24 hours of Friday just isn't enough for some places. I am going to be working from 8pm to 6am Thanksgiving night. I am a person who enjoys my sleep and has never been Black Friday shopping myself so I'm taking it pretty hard right now. Instead of pouting about it all week I would like to know if anyone will be out shopping or working that night and maybe hear some horror stories from the folks who torture themselves with this on purpose. If nothing else, please gif it up to cheer me up.

Replies

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I do not black friday shop. and this terrible trend of retail stores being open on thanksgiving, is just ridiculous. but uneducated people who think they're getting a steal on something will just keep enabling retailers with this atrocious behavior. Good Luck, and don't get trampled.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not a huge people person so the mall is the last place I'll be on Thurs / Friday :) Just so many people...panic attack waiting to happen.

If you want a good laugh, watch Black Friday episodes from last years season of South Park.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Starting to get a taste of black Friday here in Canada...Fun!
  • rdmitche1
    rdmitche1 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have done some Black Friday shopping in the past, but unless it is a really good deal, I am not going to wait in line. I can not stand places that open on Thanksgiving. (Thanksgiving is really being lost to shopping and Christmas.)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I do all of my black Friday shopping online... Same deals (sometimes better), none of the traffic/fighting for grabs.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have fun on Black Friday. The people watching is part of the fun. I usually plan out trips for specific deals. The Thursday openings make me sad though. I worked enough crazy hours in retail in my life. This is crazy. It should be a holiday.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    The last time I shopped on Black Friday was 14 or 15 years ago. We lined up at Best Buy around 4 am. When they opened the doors, the onky let a small handful of people in at a time. After an hour or so, we barely even made a dent in the line. The manager comes out and says "Everybody go home. All the sale items are gone." Never again.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I hope this all back fires on retailers. This has gotten completely ridiculous. What happening to actually enjoying the holiday with our families.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's not yet as crazy in Canada. I wouldn't shop nights on Black Friday because what you have to go through is ridiculous. I feel for you =( This craziness needs to stop!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    i loved black friday shopping, until it started on thanksgiving, I went the first year that it started at 10pm on thanksgiving, but now its starting at 6pm on thanksgiving, so I will not be going anymore to stores that open thanksgiving.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    NO THANK YOU! I don't care to miss out on any of this Ridiculousness! I'll be Spending the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend with my Family giving Thanks!!!
    walmart-black-friday-o.gif
    more-fun-than-humans-should-be-allowed-to-have-black-friday-no-.jpg
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-29091-1375450298-5.gif
    blackFriday.jpg
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I hope this all back fires on retailers. This has gotten completely ridiculous. What happening to actually enjoying the holiday with our families.

I'm torn between hoping that we have no customers and they see what a terrible idea it is and needing there to be customers so I can stay busy and awake. I am completely missing out on the family dinner this year, too, since it is being held in another state and I wouldn't be able to make it back in time.
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I usually try do most Black Friday shopping online if I can. I have ventured out for somethings I really needed (I have a huge project scheduled for the long weekend one year and no saw...). But I avoid the places I know will be a mob scene.

This year I have yet to see anything I might even try for online so I might be sitting out completely this year.

I really do wish the stores would stay closed on Thanksgiving (and most holidays) but sometimes those holidays are the only days free to shop for some people. But I won't be among them.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't Black Friday shop and I think it's *kitten* that retail employees have to work on Thanksgiving at all. There is nothing that I want or need that bad. I do most of my shopping online and I get the same, sometimes better, deals with no crowds and traffic
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I started black friday shopping back when the sales started at 10pm. I was able to spend my time with my family and still have time to get to the sales. Now that it starts at 6pm i have to really want something to leave my family and stand in line. I enjoy the crazy people watching and have never been trampled or had to stand in to crazy of lines, but then i live in a small midwest city.
    Good luck working on Black friday, enjoy the people watching!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    200.gif
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    200.gif