Am I getting this right?

Options
So from what I've read in other discussions on this board is that most people gain some weight when they switch to maintenance. Does this mean that I should actually aim for a few pounds BELOW my goal weight, that way when I switch to maintenance I'll actually go up to my goal weight? Or will I eventually drop the weight I lose at the start of maintenance? 

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think you have nothing to lose by going 5 lbs past before starting maintenance...
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. If you can handle a few pounds fluctuation, then don't worry about it. Ultimately, you should be happy with your body, not the numbers on the scale.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You probably want to have a goal range, not just a goal weight. When you hit the bottom number in your range, begin increasing to your maintenance calories. That way, if you do pick up a pound or two, you're still within your range.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You probably want to have a goal range, not just a goal weight. When you hit the bottom number in your range, begin increasing to your maintenance calories. That way, if you do pick up a pound or two, you're still within your range.

This. Yes, most people put on a few pounds when they start maintenance because you keep some energy stored for quick use. It's the same reason people drop weight so quickly when they first start. Focusing on a range rather than a hard number helps alleviate some of the issues with this, and with general week to week fluctuations. Aim for the low end of the range, then you'll bounce closer to the middle of the range when you start maintenance.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think it's smart, but I also want you to remember if you're exercising a lot more that you might put on some muscle as well while you're going back to maintenance and this would be cause to celebrate, not panic. Once you get there, I'd worry less about numbers and more about measurements.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options

+1
  • molson55
    molson55 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome guys!! Thanks so much, that was extremely helpful
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options

this!! :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    amy0louise wrote: »

this!! :)

And again!
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As soon as you eat a larger quantity of food, your body takes on more water to process it. So you'll tend to rebound over your minimum, for a day or so.

I weigh 165 so I keep a range +/-3# before taking explicit action.