Suggestions for muscle toning, not building

Options
I have a bit of a conundrum... Over years of playing outdoor sports, I've built an amount of muscle mass that's higher than normal for a female my age and size, especially in the legs and upper arms. So when going to the gym, I don't want to build more muscle - I want to tone the muscle I already have. However, from what I've read, the only way to burn the fat around the muscle (what I want to do) is to build more muscle (what I don't want to do). Any suggestions?

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This.
    Toning is 80% diet...or some percentage like that..lol

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, do you mean by "tone the muscle"?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yep
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

+2.
    "Toning" really just means getting rid of more of the fat that's over the muscles. :drinker:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Best way to not build muscle...don't eat a calorie surplus while lifting. Just lift at a calorie deficit. Since most people consider toning to be is just a reduction of overall body fat, you will be doing what you want. You don't need to build more muscle to lose the fat, just eat less and workout to maintain the lean mass and your body composition will get to a point you like.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "However, from what I've read, the only way to burn the fat around the muscle (what I want to do) is to build more muscle (what I don't want to do)."

Not sure where you read this, but it is incorrect.

You lose fat from all over (the proportionate amount of loss from where you lose depends on genetics). You do not burn fat around a muscle by building that muscle.

You burn fat by eating at a caloric deficit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    getting stronger =/= building size of muscle.

just to be clear.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can explain more what your goals are. What do you mean by "toning"? Getting stronger? Having more visible definition? If so, you need to continue eating at a calorie deficit, make sure you get plenty of protein, and work out. By eating at a deficit, you will gradually lose extra body fat, giving you more of a defined look. Unfortunately, you can't choose where the fat comes from first, so it may take awhile to see definition where you want to see it. Doing a combination of strength training (weight lifting and bodyweight exercises) and cardio, plus eating at a deficit and aiming for 1g of protein per lb. of lean bodyweight a day, has been really successful for me so far. Since the beginning of July, I've decreased my body fat percentage from 39% to 27.5%. I've lost inches all over. I have visible muscle definition in my arms, and when I lose more fat in other areas I expect to see more definition there, too. I'm stronger and more fit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pics
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat more protien and less carbs. Up your cardio and stick to the same workout plan.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Well clearly you need to buy a toner.

LMAO I was like LMAO
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    pics

YOU LIVE!!! WOOOT WOOOT!!!!

party time!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Eat more protien and less carbs. Up your cardio and stick to the same workout plan.

Her food diary isn't open, so blanket statements like that are useless. You have no idea what her intake or cardio or current workout plan are.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

First response, and the only answer needed...
  • MoonOverMyHammies7
    MoonOverMyHammies7 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I have read more reps with lighter weights vs less reps with heavier weights for bulking up. also Yoga and Pilates.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Get dat tone! Aw yeah.
    toner.jpg
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The T word is kind of a bad word around here :)

To help us understand your question, could you re-frame what your goals are without using that word?