How long did it take you to build up to a 5k?

Options
Cat_Lifts
Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
I love C25k but recently haven't been giving it much attention. I've had a few coworkers urge me into trying one of the Color 5ks and would love to introduce a new challenge for myself, so I ask those of you who have done 5ks or even C25ks - How long did it take you to build up to do a 5k and how often during the week did you jog/run?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    interested to know as well....
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to do the couch 2 5k - has anyone done it? I've never run before so I'm a bit nervous about starting and failing.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started my fourth week of C25K, using the "Just Run" iPod app. The goal of the app is to have you running nonstop for 30 minutes at the end of nine weeks. You are not encouraged to skip ahead; the program is designed to ease you into running, without injuring yourself or getting discouraged.

So far, I am quite enjoying it. Today's run was one that I'd been looking ahead at with trepidation, as it increased my total running time from 9 minutes to 16 minutes (3 minute run, 1.5 minute walk, 5 minute run, 2.5 minute walk; repeat). But you know what? I actually found it easier than the week 2 runs. It always sucks for the first few minutes, but I'm finding the longer intervals are easier. Perhaps that's because I have gradually increased my endurance over the first three weeks.

Why not give it a try?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I started with intermittent walking and jogging - I had to start slow because I had not been active at all for 30 years. It took me 3 full months with runkeeper to prepare for a 5k (34:10 was my time). I ran 4 times each week and increased speed and endurance much faster than I expected I would.

I found that I had to take it easy and not push too hard or I would feel as if I was run over by a truck...so pick a plan, get started, and be amazed how fast you improve! AND rest on rest days! it is necessary for recovery.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have done many 5K's but have walked/ran them. I am currently doing the C25K and loving it. I needed something to help build up my endurance and speed. I will be doing a 5K on my 3rd week of training. Hoping to blast my old times. Keep it up. No matter what your time is or whether you walk or run it, just completing it is quite the accomplishment. Good for it.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Did C25K. Twice. The mistake the first time was not having a set goal at the end. So the second time I did it, I actually registered for a 5K before I started. That way I HAD to finish. I ran 3 - 4 times a week and was able to run my first 5k after 8 weeks.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k about a year and a half ago. The program I did was 12 weeks long and had me running three days a week. I started out by running two minutes the first day and I thought that was intimidating! LOL. At the end of the program, I did a 5K Turkey Trot with no problem at all. Since then, I have completed in 18 or 19 races (mostly 5Ks, some longer). And, I did my first Half Marathon a couple of weeks ago (already planning my second). So I am living proof that you CAN learn to run via c25k. I went from two minutes to a Half Marathon. LOL
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love C25k but recently haven't been giving it much attention. I've had a few coworkers urge me into trying one of the Color 5ks and would love to introduce a new challenge for myself, so I ask those of you who have done 5ks or even C25ks - How long did it take you to build up to do a 5k and how often during the week did you jog/run?

I would think it depends on what you goal is. Most people are capable of covering 3 miles on foot. Keep in mind not everyone runs the 5ks. Some walk, some a combination of walk/run, and some push themselves for PRs. If I were you, I'd do it for the fun, the experience and the motivation, regardless of the pace you choose.

But to answer your question, it took me a month and a half to run a continuous 5k at a pace under 12 minutes per mile.
  • rossboss2013
    Options
    In general if you run 5 days a week 20 minutes a day from start you can get there in about 6 weeks. 20 minutes a day can be intervals for a while though such as 2 minutes jog 1 minute walk. Over the first few weeks you will find yourself building stamina pretty quick. Be careful with eliptical trainers if you use them because they tend to give a false impression of running speed, distance, and calories burned. Its best to run outside but a treadmill is a good second option.

Keep in mind that many of these public 5Ks are completely non-competitive and most aren't timed. So don't feel like if you can't run a 25 minute 5K or anything that you can't do it. Many people walk portions or all of the 5K. Especially if you are talking about the color run. So get out there and do it! That's my opinion at least.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I was younger (age 37 or so) and didn't know about walk/run regimens, I weighed in at 289 and figured I'd better start running. So I invented a program whereby I went 1/2K for Mon-Thu and then Friday ran 1K and took Sat/Sun off.

The next week I ran 1K Mon-Thu and 2K on Fri. Sat / Sun off.

Next week 2K Mon-Thu and 3K on Fri.

It took me six weeks to get from couch to 5K and ran my one and only 5K in 28 1/2 minutes.

Another 6 weeks later I ran my one and only 10K (training the same way) in 56 1/2 minutes. Not fast by any means, but relaxed. Prior to the 10K race I ran 12K for giggles. Not the same day of course, but just increasing my mileage every week. That was a great summer I'll never forget.

I just wasn't going to not do it and never missed a run. I did the training in the late afternoon, before supper I think.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months but I was a scardy cat.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness level. I do a lot of HITT and plyo but I had never run in my life. My first run was 3 km and 5 days later I ran 6 km. I haven't gone for a third because it's been raining so much.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    So I'll answer this as someone who wasn't training to run :smile:.

I'm 7 months into focusing on my health and fitness. My primary cardio is Zumba 3 times a week, and I usually do 2 one hour strength training sessions weekly. I would run on a treadmill that was easily accessible to me, but only when one of my other preferred exercises would fall through. When I would run, I would try to see how far I could go running without stopping, out of curiosity and to see how my cardiovascular health was improving with the Zumba. In November, I could run 8 minutes. I was dying at the end of those 8 minutes! 5 months later, I could run 5k without difficulty.

Recently I decided to see if I could run 5k outdoors since I had heard that this is harder than on a treadmill. Not only could I do it, I LOVED it! So now running has a place in my regular fitness routine.

All this to say that while running is the best training for running, other cardio counts, too!! I never thought I would be capable of running 5k. Ever. But consistent cardio conditioning has helped!

Also, I will echo the advice to slow down and get a comfortable pace where you can get your breathing controlled. I was amazed at how much more endurance I had when I chose a pace that was comfortable rather than trying to run "fast enough".
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    It took me about 2 months to go from coming off an injury and not working out period for 6 months to running a 5K.

I'd NEVER been a runner prior to last year when I started C25K, now I am a running junkie. Seriously, it's the best part of my day. I LOVE it so much. I NEVER thought I'd say that. In High School I used to make up injuries & excuses or pretend to need extra help after school in order to miss the HALF mile run we did every day before practice. I wasn't much better in college. I thought people who enjoyed running were crazy.

For me running just left me gasping for breath and trying not to puke. I wonder how/why someone would enjoy putting themselves through that.

Then last year I went through something tragic in my personal life and a grief counselor suggested I channel my sadness into running. I started out on the treadmill barely able to run a mile at a 10 minute mile pace. I go discouraged because it seemed even at a slow job I just couldn't keep it up for very long. I figured I'd just never be able to run.

Then I found C25K I followed the program, it was tedious at times as I felt like I was going to slow, and I did skip ahead a week at one point but that's not recommended, C25K actually got me doing a 5K on the treadmill, I was scared to run outside for some reason but one day my gym was closed & I was really craving a run so I decided to face my fear of the outside.

I ran a 5K in just under 30 minutes with ease, I haven't run on the treadmill since. By September I was able to run 10 miles at a pace of 8:50 per mile. Then I got wicked sick with mono, bed ridden, hospital, etc etc ( I Swear worst medical luck EVER) anyway, because of that and other medical reasons I pretty much didn't work out for the entire winter.

I am just starting to get back into it now. I am running about 25 miles a week with an average run being 5 miles & a longer run being 12 miles. Even after a few months off I was actually able to get back in shape pretty easily & knew from C25K the general way to work myself up in mileage. It really is a great program especially just starting out.

It's seriously because of that App (and this one) that I've become a runner and I am soooooo thankful for it, because it's ceased to be about weight loss and it's really become like my salvation. Running makes you feel amazing, it's a time to be on your own & you set and accomplish your own goals & its something that's just about you.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing C25K but back at the start of April I couldn't run 2 mins without thinking I was dying. I was around 260lbs I think (without checking, I'm 254 now) I could walk 10km at a decent pace but running was hard! I started off with intervals - walk 2 mins run 90 seconds for 15 mins. I started running 4 days per week, gradually increasing the running time and decreasing the walking time. Last week I ran 25 minutes straight. I was running at 7.5km/hr which is somewhere around 4.7mph. This week instead of increasing my time, I've increased speed so I sit at 8km/hr 5 mph pace, or 12 min mile. It's not fast, but I am running. I'm close to doing a 5k. I could do it, but I'd like to increase my speed a little bit first. Basically I've just pushed myself as I felt able to, I wasn't going for a certain goal, just to run is enough for me!
  • grau62000ameze
    Options
    It took me less than 6months to train.scary as I am!!
    I started in Oct '12 with just 2mins&increased every 2days by 1min or 2(if I dare)
    By the end of dec'12,I could run for 16mins straight.(This was at my pace)
    U need your body to rest before embarking on a run.by feb ending,I did my 1st. 34mins non-stop
  • Cat_Lifts
    Options
    So many reponses! I love it! Thanks so much guys and gals, some very inspiring info and stories here to get back into it. :) I appreciate it!
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been ready fora while, but I've never done one, because I can go run those miles for free. I don't like the "pay-for-it" part of the race.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 weeks but doing a 1min run, 30 second walk interval. After another 10 weeks, built up to a 3 minute run, 30 second walk. I had intended to move to running, but my body really appreciates that 30 second walk! I had to get over that my body just isn't ready for running only & I don't want to risk injury. Still doing 3 miles or a bit more, but my goal was to improve on my run interval, not go a farther distance. I was not exercising before- at all other than the occasional dog walk.
    Fleet Feet has a wonderful training program called No Boundaries in case you have a Fleet Feet near you.
    It worked well for me as I discovered having a group of people to meet and exercise with kept me committed. :)
  • Cat_Lifts
    Options
    Just a bump update - so many of you inspired me to go out jogging today and use C25k! I completed day 1 of week 1 and found it easier this time than the first, considering how much I hate running. After I finished the session, for the hell of it I decided to just run with no stopping and only ended up stopping when my shins felt uncomfortable, but to my surprise, I ran 8 minutes straight at one point! I was so stoked! Really looking forward to training more with it and maybe even jumping to week 2 or 3. :P My lungs could handle it but I noticed my knees/shins felt a little wobbly. I believe I need to practice striking the ground properly, although I don't run on the balls of my feet or my heels. Should it be more of a rolling motion, or a "stomp"? :laugh: