Elliptical Trainer Question - Moving Forward

Options
goldiejoe
goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
I don't like the elliptical trainer because the motion is unfamiliar and the workout is hard so I avoid it. However, I have decided to add it to my fitness routine because I hear such great things about how well it burns calories so much faster than any other cardio equipment in the gym.

So...I get on the elliptical and get going, put the resistance to about 5 (because any lower is too hard to do because you have to go too fast). I'm going along great and getting used to the motion when WHAM! The crazy machine directs me to stop, and now go backwards. I found the backwards motion so awkward and unsettling that it almost caused me to have a panic attack. Seriously, this is not some attempt at humor. It was horrible.

My question is: Is there a workout on the elliptical trainer which I can choose to do that does not require me to do any backwards peddling. I'm not saying I'd never learn to do it, but I seriously need to get comfortable with the forward motion first.

Replies

• 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have just started using it and it never has me go backwards. Maybe it is the setting you are selecting?

I do find I feel very uncoordinated on it and have to really focus to have a sip of my drink :)
    on the plus side however can go flat out for 30minutes without hurting knees or shins unlike the treadmill.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what setting it is, maybe quick start? I am totally intimidated by that machine. I'm even afraid of asking a gym employee about the settings. Guess I should just suck it up and ask, but I thought I would ask the friendly anonymous folks here at MFP first.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    my elliptical at home and at the gym doesn't ask me to go backwards. i usually just hop on and start moving and the machine will turn on and go. no unnecessary button pushing other than upping or lowering resistance but maybe the machines im using are older.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It might depend on the brand, but on the Precor machines I've used if you press Quick Start it will allow you to choose your resistance and then you just go. It might be one of the pre-programmed routines that does that.

Maybe you can get the make and model of it and search for a user manual at home? I would hope the staff at the gym wouldn't make you feel bad for asking a question. If they do, then they are doing it wrong! :flowerforyou:
  • NebrGuy1969
    NebrGuy1969 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ask the staff at the gym. That's what they're there for. They would rather you ask and get the best workout possible than to go at it without knowing what you are doing or worse yet not trying it at all. I was so intimidated by the gym, but I hired a trainer and he has walked me through most of the equipment...that was 17 months ago and I still use him.

As for the elliptical, there should be a way to NOT go backwards. I've never used a setting that required it. I love that machine and hate the treadmill.