Gaining Weight at College

Options
I'm a freshman in college that dreaded the infamous freshman 15. But instead, I gained the freshman 5. I just really want to lose that 5 lbs and go back to my normal weight, but I fear my body has made it my new "normal weight" since I've been holding on to it since about September.
I eat at the same TDEE as I did when I was 5 lbs lighter and I am maintaining. This is why I think it will be difficult to go back to my normal weight, because my body has adjusted to THIS being my normal weight.
Normally, 5 lbs doesn't seem like a very big deal. Unfortunately, I am petite and 5 lbs is extremely noticeable on my body because I carry it all in my belly. I just prefer myself 5 lbs lighter than what I am now.

Anyways, I have a few questions

1. Would it be possible to lose 5 lbs *without* extra physical activity if I primarily focus on my diet?
(There IS a fitness center here, but it's tiny and crowded and I'm extremely miserable there.
However, I WILL go there if it is absolutely essential to lose the 5 lbs, though.)

2. Does my diet actually need to change to acquire certain foods, or do I just need to cut back on calories for a while (I'm assuming I've been overeating as I've been here, because I live in the dorms and have a meal plan for the dining hall here.)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's just math...when you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quot then you have to dip into stored energy (aka your body fat) to make up the difference.

I would recommend some kind of regular exercise though...it is pretty much essential to your overall health and general well being...it doesn't have to be at the gym or fitness center...just go do something.

Eating more healthfully in general is also good for you and proper nutrition generally helps everything else work optimally, including your metabolism...but where weight loss is concerned, your energy consumption is going to be priority one.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been in college for the last four years and I hate the gym too ;3.

I'm petite as well, so I feel you XD. Stay away from a lot of salt, because it'll make you bloat and it'll show on the scale. Drink tons of water to help with the water retention. I know physical activity sucks, but it really does help. I take like an hour break just to walk around with headphones, sometimes even two hours if the weather is nice.

If the weather sucks where you live, here's something I do that's kind of dumb, but it definitely works for a shut-in and homebody like me XD. When I watch something like anime or a movie, I just stand up and jog in place for the entire duration of the show ;P.
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have it right.

"I eat at the same TDEE as I did when I was 5 lbs lighter and I am maintaining. This is why I think it will be difficult to go back to my normal weight" - If you are eating at your daily expenditure, your body has no need to shed weight. You don't lose weight by eating at your previous maintenance. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

To answer both questions, yes and no. It's all about calories; eat at a deficit and you'll lose 5lbs. Exercise and protein just make that process faster and easier, and ensures you lose more fat than muscle.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    You're posting in the wrong section.

This is for folks who have already reached goal & is maintaining.

Maybe try to repost this to the 'losing' to get more replies
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    TheTiagooo wrote: »
    I don't think you have it right.

"I eat at the same TDEE as I did when I was 5 lbs lighter and I am maintaining. This is why I think it will be difficult to go back to my normal weight" - If you are eating at your daily expenditure, your body has no need to shed weight. You don't lose weight by eating at your previous maintenance. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

To answer both questions, yes and no. It's all about calories; eat at a deficit and you'll lose 5lbs. Exercise and protein just make that process faster and easier, and ensures you lose more fat than muscle.

+1
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You should have lots of opportunities for physical activity on a college campus. You don't need the gym. Maybe a running or walking club, or an intramural sport? There are also private gyms if that's affordable.