BMR question

Options
So I am 5' 3 and I just got down to 303.4 (was 329) and I calculated my BMR and it said 2084 calories and I've been doing just fine on a 1200-1500 calorie diet. Am I harming myself? I've been doing this for about 33 days and have never felt better.

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    my BMR is 2200, i stick to 1800 calories 5 days a week, a bit oover on Saturday and Sunday.

I also train 2/12 hours a night and lift weights and will train twice a day twice a week.

Im fine, but i do need nutrient dense food. No empty calories

Ive been doing this for a few months now and will eat at maintenance for a month or so in the new year
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Online BRM cals are all a guess, you need to adjust till you start to loose weight. For months i was eating what the cals were telling me and i didn't loose a single kg

Just keep reducing till your loosing but you have done good already :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It depends on several factors. With more weight to lose and greater fat reserves, you have a little more leeway than somebody closer to goal weight. Your RMR is at 2500 if sedentary .. so eating 1500 calories per day is a 1000 calorie per day deficit ... enough to for about two pounds of fat under ideal circumstances. How much of your loss is fat compared to lean mass and water gets into exercise, nutrition, etc.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I assume you mean your TDEE. You are doing an extremely aggressive diet, which is not going to be sustainable in the long term, although ther eis a good chance you're eating up to a few hundred more calories than you assume unless you are weighing all your food and logging accurately.

You may feel fine now but I personally would recommend switching to a much less aggressive goal. 1.5lb/week is even just fine. To have lost like, 25lbs in 33 days is ovevrkill, although of course some of that will have just been water and thus your weight loss will probably slow down.

Looking at your diary, you are definitley averaging more than you think you are both when considering you frequently log above your goal and you are not weighing your food or measuring most of it.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you've lost 26 lbs in 33 days? Or over a longer time period than that?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You might end up lowering your metabolism a bit. So as you lose weight, your BMR could end up being 5% or so lower than the average person of whatever weight your at. However, if I understand it correctly, that could happen to even those of use who eat higher amounts.

As far as weight loss goes, I think you should try to eat as much as you can while still losing weight at a reasonable rate. For the last 30 days or so my intake has averaged out to be 1821 (my average NET falls somewhere between 1200-1400) and my average loss has been around 1.9lbs per week (eek!! :astonished: I need to eat more...no wonder I feel like crap). I'm 5'4.5" and my average weight is 169.4 (with my last weigh in being 166.8 and a low weight a few days ago of 166.2). If I ever need to adjust down for any reason, I have plenty of room to make adjustments. If I started lower, than say when I drop my activity level, I won't have much room to adjust my calories to take that into account. Well that and eating around 1400 calories or less with my roughly 6hrs of exercise a week wouldn't really cut it. I'd be one very hangry mama. My goals also involve maintaining as much muscle as possible while reducing my BF%, so for me it's not all about the scale.

Don't be afraid to try multiple approaches. Eventually, you will find something that works for you.

Goodluck :flowerforyou:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A quick look at your diet makes your claim of 1200-1500 a bit tenuous. Those 900 and 700 calorie days don't fit your initial story.