Foods that Fill you Up?

Options
twinkiemon
twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
Any suggestions on foods that are not too high calorie but will keep me full longer? I find the 1210 calories that MFP gives me to eat is just not enough and I end up starving on days I don't exercise. Although this does then force me to exercise at least 6 days a week because I like to eat, but I know rest days are important. I try to ask myself if I'm really hungry or just bored - sometimes I am just bored and find something to do but like last night about 1:30 I'm trying to convince myself "No, I'm just bored because it's late" then my stomach let out the loudest growl it's ever produced so I grabbed a couple of turkey slices and some carrots and that shut it up.

But to be honest, even some days when I do exercise I find I'm really hungry - I'm guessing that maybe the machines at the gym aren't accurate and maybe I'm burning more than I say (both MFP and the other program at the Y - Activtrax - usually estimate I burn more than what the machine says) - though the machines have heart monitors they monitor it through your hands so I guess it's not that accurate. And, for those going to suggest an actual heart monitor - I've looked into it and there is NO way I can afford it right now - I've got too much going on this summer - possibly in September or October I might have a little extra to spend on this but right now it's just possible.

So I'm trying to look for suggestions of things I can eat (even things to snack on at work) that might help with this so I don't feel hungry so often.

Replies

• fitwithcurves
    fitwithcurves Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Soba Noodles are super filling, healthy, AND yummy. You can make a bunch of different recipes with them too!

Carrots/Celery and Hummus make a good snack. Or even just fruit with some almonds.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Any type of granola or protein bar with a bottle of water. :)

Protein shake.
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was looking at heart monitors online, and the prices were WAY out of my budget. But, I took a trip to Walgreens the other day, and they had a HM for $35.00. There were several different kinds available, but I opted for the one that you wear as a watch.

If you don't have Walgreens around, you could always go to CVS, Rite-Aid, perhaps even Walmart.

I've noticed, since using my new HM, that I burn a fair amount more calories than the treadmill, and elliptical say I do. If you're able to put a little cash away, and save for a Heart Monitor like the one I just bought, it is definitely worth it!

14 foods under 40 calories:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/01/14-foods-under-40-calories/
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup!! Ridiculously low cal, and it makes you so full that you wanna curl up under a blanket and sleep :) haha
  • sash3619
    sash3619 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I noticed food with high protein and fiber fills me up fast.
    Any fibrous veggies (celery, greens etc)
    chicken
    oatmeal
    grains
    protein shake (if it's not too sweet)
    Fruits actually make me more hungry. I am trying to eat them less. But with high protein diet I almost have to force myself to eat more for my daily calorie target. As long as I eat clean I don't need to worry about overeating.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Food that contains protein : lean meats, fish, Greek yogurt & cottage cheese.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions guys - a lot of these are easy to pack in my lunch bag for snacks at work. :)
    Veggie soup!! Ridiculously low cal, and it makes you so full that you wanna curl up under a blanket and sleep :) haha

This one I'll have to save for home because if I curl up and fall asleep at work I'm probably going get fired lol. But I do love soup.
  • juliesara1994
    Options
    ALMOND BUTTER! It's amazing! BUT, do not buy it pre-canned because it has too many additives and too much sugar. I go to my local market or grocery store and grind fresh raw almond butter from the machines. (Usually right by the peanut grinder). Then, at home, add about half a teaspoon of honey and mix it in with about 2 tablespoons of raw almond butter. I say two tablespoons because yes, it FILLS YOU UP. I usually eat some, and don't ever crave lunch or dinner unless it's hours and hours past the snack. I know it's high in calories (About 180 for two tablespoons), but it lowers cholesterol levels, and it has many, many health benefits. I made all of my friends obsessed with almond butter, and they love it.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Protein shake.

Trust me. I usually have one for breakfast but felt like oats today, so I ade myself some oatmeal w almond butter and a plum... Was still hungry afterwards. Decided to make my shake as well and BOOM. After a few sips, hunger gone! Then I remember WHY I have it for breakfast.

Also Greek yogurt, boiled eggs, almonds, veggies an hummus. Fruit leaves me hungry so I try and eat some protein with it like nut butter, cheese etc
  • bluesawyer
    bluesawyer Posts: 2
    Options
    I like vegetable sushi rolls and I take both chlorella & spirulina alternating months and find they kill most sweet/salty cravings. Don't take spirulina if you're subject to kidney stones as it is the family that can lead to to them. Chlorella is far superior anyway.
  • Giget
    Giget Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My go to snack is sliced apple and the PB2 ( powdered peanut butter) prepared with a 1/2 teas honey...... Or the Dannon light & fit Greek yogurt ( has fruit) with a few walnuts crumbled on top...yummy...