How is this possible?

Options

Replies

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm sorry I took so long to reply. I know you all recommend that I should log. Keep in mind that I am, just not everyday because I eat the same things. When I create the recipes I log one day as a sample menu to check my macros and stuff that's how I know how much I eat.

I'm sure my maintenance is 1670 as I have maintained on that number for 6 months before attempting to lose again. I'm 21, 5'2 and small framed.

if you do not log everyday, then how do you know that you are in a surplus, deficit, or at maintenance...???

It always blows my mind when people say "help, I need to lose the last 15 pounds and can't" then upon further review they admit to not logging all the time; then when told to log all the time to determine actual calorie intake they come back and say "no, I do not need to do that because I know how much I am consuming" ...If you know how much you are consuming, then why cant you lose the last 15 pounds???!!

I can't lose because I KNOW that I eat up to maintenance or over...how do I know? Because my weight has been stable for 2 months. I can't lose because I get hungry at eat away my deficit.

The issue is not that I don't know how much I eat, the issue is that I am hungry even though I know I hit macros.

How do I know how much I eat? Because I eat the same meals every week. For example if I have a breakfast of 300 calories and a dinner of 500, I eat the same thing the whole weak, that leaves 500 for lunch (to keep a deficit). Lunch varies, but the calorie count for the meal remains the same...so basically I eat the same amount every day of the week. Because I eat the same meals roughly everyday.

I would suggest the following..

for two weeks log every single thing that you eat and use a food scale and weight all your portions and see how much you are actually eating..

Unless you are already weighing all your portions there is no way that every single meal is the exact same portion size...

I don't think you realise what I'm saying. I DO weigh everything. ONCE. I buy 6 steaks for the week, take the total weight of the 6, and add it to a recipe. Let's say I eat steak with a potato. I then take the 6 potatoes and weigh them all at once. I then add the weight of all the potatoes and add it to the steak in the recipe...the serving size for this recipe is 6, so the recipe is divided into individual portions.

The amount of actual weight per steak does not matter. Only the total matters as that's what I eat over a week.

• ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think I know why you're hungry - you're bored to tears with your food?! I know everyone is different, but perhaps eating the exact same dinner for 5 days in a row or the same breakfast, etc is the issue. Of course this is not about weight loss, but you pointed out yourself that your real issue for which you need advice is satiety/hunger. Try mixing it up every day. Will that mean that you have to weigh and log every day because what you eat changes? Yes. But if it helps with the hunger issue and you get a wider variety of food while staying within your cal and macros, isn't that a win?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    A few sample menus...

Breakfast - 2 large eggs and normal full fat bacon OR oatmeal with almonds and a banana OR cottage cheese with muesli and a fruit sliced on top.

Lunch - some form of meat, usually with the fat eaten, and mixed vegetables with cheese melted over or/and with a baked potato with butter.

Dinner - usually the same as lunch but a different meat with different veg.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A few sample menus...

Breakfast - 2 large eggs and normal full fat bacon OR oatmeal with almonds and a banana OR cottage cheese with muesli and a fruit sliced on top.

Lunch - some form of meat, usually with the fat eaten, and mixed vegetables with cheese melted over or/and with a baked potato with butter.

I know you said you didn't want to snack, but if you are only eating 3 meals a day and are eating decent food and staying in your calories. Then trying healthy snacking. My favorites are: cheese and grapes, carrots and hummus, raw granola bars, honey or fruit with greek yogurt, etc. You will have to decrease your meals a little to fit 1-2 snacks of 100-150 calories in.

I eat around 7am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 3pm and 5:30pm. And if I hit the gym in the evening I usually have a snack after that. I rarely find myself hungry and am losing weight.

Also - spinach and veggies in general are GREAT at keeping you full.

Any way you look at it - if what you are doing isn't working, you are going to have to try something different ;)
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    From what you give as your sample meals, you need to add more salad and fruit and vegetables to your diet. This are bulky with lots of fiber and will help both with nutrition and the "full factor." Good luck. And I agree with those who say if what you're doing is not working - you have to try something different. Try eating a HUGE salad with just vinegar and lemon with lunch and dinner. You won't be hungry.
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm sorry I took so long to reply. I know you all recommend that I should log. Keep in mind that I am, just not everyday because I eat the same things. When I create the recipes I log one day as a sample menu to check my macros and stuff that's how I know how much I eat.

I'm sure my maintenance is 1670 as I have maintained on that number for 6 months before attempting to lose again. I'm 21, 5'2 and small framed.

if you do not log everyday, then how do you know that you are in a surplus, deficit, or at maintenance...???

It always blows my mind when people say "help, I need to lose the last 15 pounds and can't" then upon further review they admit to not logging all the time; then when told to log all the time to determine actual calorie intake they come back and say "no, I do not need to do that because I know how much I am consuming" ...If you know how much you are consuming, then why cant you lose the last 15 pounds???!!

could not agree more. you need to find out what your actual calorie intake needs to be and not just assume because thats what it was 6 months ago. If I ate what my calorie intake was supposed to be 6 months ago, I would start gaining weight.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat about 5 times a day. I used to eat 3 times but I got very hungry before lunch and after lunch I got very sleepy so I drank energy drinks. And before I started dieting I know that when I ate a big lunch, like a double amount I still became hungry after about 3 hours. Now I eat at 7:45, 10:30, 13:00, 16:45 and 20:10, small meals and a 300gr lunch. I have been eating/drinking protein shakes for dinner for about 4 months because it somehow is only 150 cal and I am not hungry afterwards.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A few sample menus...

Are you weighing the almonds, banana, and oatmeal? What about the cottage cheese with muesli?

I get what you're saying about your lunch and/or dinner... that you cook the stuff once and divvy it up into 6 portions, but you don't seem to be doing that with breakfast based on the types of things you're eating. 28g of almonds doesn't seem that different from what 48g of almonds looks like... hard to know without weighing and logging. I've eaten some bananas that were 87g on my food scale, others that were 143g. Big difference.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I eat 85g of protein and 45g of fat a day. On 1470 calories.

Maybe you should change your macros? It sounds like you're at a higher amount of carbs. Could you be insulin resistant or sensitive? My macros are set 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 or actually 30% carb, 35% fats, and 35% protein. The key is trying to balance protein and carbs in each meal or snack.

I'm on a 1400 calorie diet and my protein is well over 100 g. Maybe your blood sugar is sending those hunger signals incorrectly because of the higher carbs that you're eating.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Fruitylicious03 Posts: 301
    edited November 2014
    Options

I do weigh out the oatmeal. And I don't weigh the almonds, I kind of buy 300grams of them and just divide the packet into 6. It evens out over the week. I weigh one banana and use that weight for the rest as their all about the same size in length and width. The caloric difference between them can't really be more than 10-20.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I still do not understand how you know you are eating 1670 a day when you do not log every day ...

but whatevs...

OP you have received good advice, whether or not you want to follow it is up to you ..

good luck in your journey ...
  • willrun4bagels
    Options

I do weigh out the oatmeal. And I don't weigh the almonds, I kind of buy 300grams of them and just divide the packet into 6. It evens out over the week. I weigh one banana and use that weight for the rest as their all about the same size in length and width. The caloric difference between them can't really be more than 10-20.

300g almonds / 6 = 50g per serving = 293 calories per 50g. Plus ~90-120 calories for a banana. Plus however many calories are in your oatmeal, maybe 120-150 calories depending on flavors etc.

That's 503 calories with low estimates, 563 with the higher estimates.

Not 300 calories like you thought you were eating every day.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

300g almonds / 6 = 50g per serving = 293 calories per 50g. Plus ~90-120 calories for a banana. Plus however many calories are in your oatmeal, maybe 120-150 calories depending on flavors etc.

It was an example...but thanks.
  • willrun4bagels
    Options

Well since you have it all figured out... I'll just quote the poster above me:
    I still do not understand how you know you are eating 1670 a day when you do not log every day ...

but whatevs...

OP you have received good advice, whether or not you want to follow it is up to you ..

good luck in your journey ...

• Fruitylicious03
    Options

I mean, not to be rude. But the problem is not my calories. The problem is the fact that I'm hungry. Just keep in mind I'm also exercising so any excess is cushioned. I don't know why some people on here get so worked up or "do not understand" how I know how much I'm eating if I don't weigh everyday. Simple. I weigh everything I'm going to eat in the week...once. and divide the total. It's the same as if you would weigh individually, just less work.

I know when I'm overeating on calories. I've been counting for a year and a half. It's ingrained in my head.

I stated in my OP that I KNOW why I'm not losing. Because I eat up to or over maintenance because of hunger. I know I'm not losing because I eat too many calories. That's not what I was asking. I was asking why I'm still hungry even having eaten enough. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I would echo some of the other posters who suggest upping your fat and/ or protein and see if that helps keep you satiated.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Like I said earlier, if you exercise more you'll be allowed to eat more and still stay at a deficit. That's the only way I can do it and not be a hangry *kitten*.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I mean, not to be rude. But the problem is not my calories. The problem is the fact that I'm hungry. Just keep in mind I'm also exercising so any excess is cushioned. I don't know why some people on here get so worked up or "do not understand" how I know how much I'm eating if I don't weigh everyday. Simple. I weigh everything I'm going to eat in the week...once. and divide the total. It's the same as if you would weigh individually, just less work.

I know when I'm overeating on calories. I've been counting for a year and a half. It's ingrained in my head.

I stated in my OP that I KNOW why I'm not losing. Because I eat up to or over maintenance because of hunger. I know I'm not losing because I eat too many calories. That's not what I was asking. I was asking why I'm still hungry even having eaten enough. :)

There are some posts hidden in here identifying it.

You need to figure out what's satiating to you, and therefore makes you feel fuller longer. For some people it's protein, others it's fats, some it's fiber.

The recommendations to add a salad or RAW leafy vegetable to your meals are smart ones. Volume wise they take up more room in your stomach as you digest them, making you feel fuller. It seems like the majority of the vegetables you're eating, like baked potatoes, are starchy. If a medium baked potato is going to run you around 130 cals before the margarine/butter, that means you could eat 18.5 cups of spinach instead. Obviously, not realistic, but what people are suggesting is that you make tweaks to incorporate low cal, high volume foods.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you really feel you are doing everything right in terms of nutrition and calories then maybe it is time to see your doctor to see if you have a medical condition causing your excessive hunger.
    A quick search on the internet suggests that increased appetite or hunger could be a symptom of various diseases or disorders. I would get it checked out.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    If you are 100% convinced you do not have a calorie problem, and you feel like you are making choices that are satiating for you, then you're left with a pair of options. Option 1: deal with being hungry. It won't kill you to be hungry, it won't harm you to be hungry. Just deal with it. Option 2, adjust your goal to something less extreme that will allow you to eat more. Either lose the weight slower, or set a higher goal weight. If your calories, food choices, and your tracking are 100% spot on then those options are really all that's left.