New and confused

Options
2»

Replies

• Daisy253
    Daisy253 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have booked a session with a personal trainer who is also a bikini competitor just to check my form and give me a better plan to work with. Depending how the first session goes I will probably continue once a month or when else I can afford it.

Have taken some more photos so will update with pics and progress in the new year.

I appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How did you go with the heavier weight? Did you get the 37.5?

If so, do 40!

Good luck with the trainer :)
  • Daisy253
    Options
    Ok!! Not as many reps but not far off. Will do another session at 37 then up to 40 after the pt session.

Thanks for asking :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity - what's you're rep range?

I ask as it'll be relevant to your goals. If you're looking to build muscle 6-12 (I think) is the way to go but you'd really need to be eating at surplus to achieve that. 15+ is more an endurance/cardio deal.

If you want to gain strength (while at maintenance or deficit) 5 or 6 reps is the way to go. I do a mixture of both so, obviously, when I'm doing more reps I use a lower weight.
  • Daisy253
    Options
    I usually mix it up a bit but mostly in the 6 to 12 rep range with 3 to 5 sets of each lift. Once I can easily do 12x5 that's when I add more weight.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you are finding the bar is slipping through your fingers because of the weight, get some wrist straps. They loop around your wrist and then you wind the stars around the bar, best for assisting you in lifting heavier when your grip just cannot hold.