Aqua fitness!

Options
I'm so excited to have gotten involved with working out in the water. I haven't seen anyone post about aqua exercise, so I thought I'd the topic. I broke my leg about six weeks ago and am finally in a hinged compression support reintroducing ROM to my knee. I've been cleared for water exercise and will be starting on Saturday.

Aqua exercise is a great complement to physical therapy. It lets you begin retraining and recovering lost strength faster than working on land. There's no impact, so with a protective compression brace, I can perform most of the moves I would not be able to do on land.

I've only done Aqua Zumba before this so I'll post more details on Saturday. If anyone has questions, feel free to message me.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have no questions, since I've been doing "acquagym" as it's called here in Italy for 20 years. I swim laps for 40 mins and then acquagym for 30 mins 4 times a week. I love it. Welcome to the club. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was told that Europeans are way more advanced in doing aqua exercising. I'm a beginning Aqua Zumba instructor still looking for a pool.
  • pkscm
    pkscm Posts: 1
    Options
    I jog for 20 mins using water weights. 5 mins forward then 5 backwards. with a 30 second fast jog in place in between. Then jumping jacks, twists leg lifts and stretching. and some yoga style leg lifts for balance. I try to go 4-6 times a week. The whole thing takes about 50 mins. I really love it. I can tell when I have missed to many days in a row. My old Knees start getting sore. It's also fun to have someone else do this with you.
    Good luck
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I'm studying to take the aqua fitness certification test next week and need some practical experience. I'm just curious as to who might be familiar with this on MFP.

Since I posted this at 5AM and it's now almost 3PM, I can see the response is underwhelming. People are really missing the boat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I answered before, but I'm 60 (almost) and have OA. I wakeup very stiff and sore,and usually do 45 mins of stretching early in the morning to loosen up. The pool is a godsend for me. We have different instructors almost everytime, and they all have different routines..so different muscles used. We started out 20 yrs ago in the kiddie pool. It is alot warmer and has a ramp, so those of us in deeper water were OK, those on the ramp were sliding and off ballance--however it was quite exhausting jumping up and down in the water. After about 5 yrs they moved us to the regular pool and we have floaters strapped on around our waists. The excersises that we do are so many and so varied that it would take a long time to describe them. We have ankle weights to strap on, or use a noodle to push down with our arms, or put 2 under our feet---that's a great time since the noobies can't keep them under the arch of their foot and we have noodles shooting up out of the water. As I said, I love it and have had great results. Have fun as an instructor. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I just got my AEA certification in the mail yesterday, which meant I passed the training. So a little while after I posted a picture on Facebook, I got an e-mail with a referral to sub for a class.

The club's manager called this morning and I'm booked to teach tomorrow at 11am! I am so psyched - going to my gym's pool today to practice some moves in the water.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I did this almost 20 years ago when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. Didn't pick it up again until late August when I was sidelined due to Plantar Fasciitis. It's been a godsend. I prefer the deep water class, but there is an instructor who does the shallow class who really works us. We do our intervals, and when we reach the halfway point, we do Tabata, then back down the interval ladder. Awesome workout.

Have fun teaching your first class! That's so cool! :)
    ~Curly
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I got asked to teach the Sunday class too! I spent all day creating my 1 hour class (I thought about Tabata, but went with boot camp cardio). This class is all shallow water, which simplifies things. ;-)