Men Eat Less, and Women Eat More

Options
I saw an article that says that, following intense exercise, men have more of the protein CCK while women have less of this protein. Since increased amounts of CCK reduces feelings of hunger, the belief is that men will tend to eat less after exercise, but women will eat more. Thoughts? Has anyone found this to be true? False?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't have a clue about the science of it (I know, very helpful). Anecdotally speaking, running makes me less hungry in the short term once I've finished, but any kind of resistance-based exercise makes me RAVENOUS.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I think it's maybe one of those things that is technically true, but the margin is so microscopic or it's so hard to measure objectively that it really doesn't make any difference to everyday life.
  • onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options
    My wife eats less than me always and after gym gap is bigger (we are same height and i am 25 pounds heavier). So in my own experience false.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I don't have a clue about the science of it (I know, very helpful). Anecdotally speaking, running makes me less hungry in the short term once I've finished, but any kind of resistance-based exercise makes me RAVENOUS.

I find the same for me - anecdotally, of course. I'm currently dealing with a hyperactive thyroid so I know I'm an outlier though and my experience is probably far from the normal. But it's still my experience! I've always found running or other aerobic exercise to kill my appetite, for as long as I can remember (even in high school, my elective PE class was Aerobics at 8am and I wouldn't be hungry after until close to 2pm). Now, I run in the early hours of the morning (around 4:30) and then don't eat for several hours because it kills my appetite. But when I was lifting regularly several years ago, I could eat the entire neighborhood.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I see on the forums that for many people exercise makes them hungry. It doesnt make me hungry, so am a bit bemused by it. I do have some quick carbs before and drink water and maybe if I didnt, then I would be hungrier.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    workouts make me less hungry and I have to force myself to eat - but once I've had the first couple of mouthfuls I feel hungry again

I think it's the post-exercise high tbh
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My own experience has been that I feel less hungry after exercise. Last night, after a bike ride, I ate a piece of pork and had intended to eat more, but I got busy and forgot about eating until it was near my bedtime. I downed some yogurt, but my calorie intake for the day was still less than 900. So, I got the nasty gram from MFP about eating too little.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    After exercise I am normally not hungry, even if I am starving before the exercise. I find the hunger kicks in the next day.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I saw an article that says that, following intense exercise, men have more of the protein CCK while women have less of this protein. Since increased amounts of CCK reduces feelings of hunger, the belief is that men will tend to eat less after exercise, but women will eat more. Thoughts? Has anyone found this to be true? False?

Is it saying women will eat more after exercise than men, or more than they would if they hadn't exercised? ;)

I don't find any significant change in physical appetite from it. But I think women might be more likely to feel entitled to more food after exercise, because they're more likely to have been exercising in order to eat more and to be keeping some running scorecard in their head (if not in an app, of course).

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    different exercise has different effects for me, with running and lifting I am less hungry after, swimming however makes me RAVENOUS
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    weight training I am not hungry after. Cardio I get heavy hunger signs after.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I always eat more after Deadlift day
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This was true for me when I was 17 and convinced that I had to eat as little fat as possible to lose fat, even though I didn't really even need to. Today, I find that I'm even less hungry after working out. The difference, I think, is a conscious effort to fill my macros and eat a balanced diet. And more specifically, more protein. (The article may have stated that, but I didn't read it.)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Is it saying women will eat more after exercise than men, or more than they would if they hadn't exercised? ;)

I don't find any significant change in physical appetite from it. But I think women might be more likely to feel entitled to more food after exercise, because they're more likely to have been exercising in order to eat more and to be keeping some running scorecard in their head (if not in an app, of course).

The article was about why people who exercise more lose weight more slowly than people who exercise less. They were looking at the CCK thing as one possible answer, but pointed out the differences between men and women and how that might reveal itself.

However, the writer of the article was of the opinion that the primary reason why people who exercise a lot don't lose weight is because they feel like they are exercising enough that they can eat whatever they want.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That would've been my first guess, too.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    NO ONE eats more than I do. (So I say that story is false)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

The article was about why people who exercise more lose weight more slowly than people who exercise less. They were looking at the CCK thing as one possible answer, but pointed out the differences between men and women and how that might reveal itself.

However, the writer of the article was of the opinion that the primary reason why people who exercise a lot don't lose weight is because they feel like they are exercising enough that they can eat whatever they want.

The writers opinion probably doesn't hold true for me and many others that I have seen posting. I eat less when I do exercise. Some days I have to force myself to eat to even net 500 calories. But then again, I do lose weight. So maybe his phrasing is just wrong.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I think psychologically some people write off having cheat meals or days because they "exercised" that day, etc. I see that a lot, and used to do it myself.

As far as the CCK thing - I am not a male, nor have I ever been one to compare my post-exercise food cravings to. However some days I don't feel like eating much after exercise and others I am pretty sure I could eat an entire cow by myself afterwards.

I think what would be more significant is the kind of exercise you are doing, and your nutrition before, during and after. As well as your exercise and nutrition consistency overall.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Unless I'm hungry before a workout, I'm not hungry after a workout. I usually have a protein bar or something because my brain is not communicating with my stomach.

Which I think I'll do now.