The Calorie Deficit

Options
2»

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    while starvation mode may be a myth, you will more than likely hit a plateau if you don't eat enough, and then have to spend MONTHS and MONTHS trying to fix your metabolism in order to start losing weight again. I know this, because it happened to me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    Okay so can someone answer the question instead of debating starvation mode lol?

I will pose it differently. My BMR is 1200 - in theory my diet is already 500 deficit if I was to make it another 500 Deficit (1,000) Do I need to eat back any calories?
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Okay so can someone answer the question instead of debating starvation mode lol?

I will pose it differently. My BMR is 1200 - in theory my diet is already 500 deficit if I was to make it another 500 Deficit (1,000) Do I need to eat back any calories?

are you saying that 1200 is a 500 calorie deficit for you ..? So you maintain at 1700? Your question is not t hat clear..

If you reduce another 500 then you would only be eating 700 calories a day and that is not considered safe and you will definitely damage your metabolism...

Agreed, need clarification on the bolded.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    starvation mode as espoused on certain MFP threads is a myth ..starvation mode in the real world is a real thing..

for example - someone says " I skipped breakfast, now I am in starvation mode" = myth; or, "I only ate 1000 calorie today I am in starvation mode" = myth ..

in the real world, you would have to eat nothing for at least a week to go into starvation mode and even then you still might not be in it; or, you would have to chronically under eat like 500 calories a day for a long time and then you would be in starvation mode. Think starving people in Africa or holocaust survivors…..

In reality, what most people will suffer is metabolic adaptation where you chronically understand it lowers your metabolism. So if you lose on say 1500 a day, but for some dumb reason only eat 500 a day for six months or something, then your metabolism will slow down to where you would lose at 1000 a day or something like that...

But in the case you're talking about - isn't that survival mode? Like holocaust survivors, when they were liberated the pictures of them looked like pretty much thinly veiled skeletons. I don't think that shut down function and this one the OP is talking about are both starvation mode. Or is (genuine)starvation mode and survival mode the same thing? I don't know a lot about it, so I'm just asking.

My understanding of starvation mode is when your body starts canabalizing muscle for energy ..so if you do not eat for a pro-longed amount of time then your body will start turning on itself for energy ..

Oh not what I was thinking of . . . I remember hearing about survival mode a while back but didn't do any further reading into it. It's completely unrelated to this, read it somewhere else. Just thought maybe the genuine starvation mode was an interchangeable term with survival mode.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

are you saying that 1200 is a 500 calorie deficit for you ..? So you maintain at 1700? Your question is not t hat clear..

If you reduce another 500 then you would only be eating 700 calories a day and that is not considered safe and you will definitely damage your metabolism...

It was all in theory. I know my BMR is 1200, I am not sure what MFP's deficit is to begin with.

I am saying in theory if my deficit was 500 to begin with and I burn a further 500. I am now 1,000 in deficit. Do I need to eat back 500 Calories?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

It was all in theory. I know my BMR is 1200, I am not sure what MFP's deficit is to begin with.

I am saying in theory if my deficit was 500 to begin with and I burn a further 500. I am now 1,000 in deficit. Do I need to eat back 500 Calories?

How do you know this? You can't lose if you are just guessing at your numbers.

Also - as the calculator showed, it's very unlikely that if you have 56KG to lose that your BMR is 1200
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

In theory, yes you should. It may be putting you in a 1000 calorie deficit, but at a pretty low net number. It can be hard to meet nutritional needs at a number that low. It's the whole car/gas tank analogy. Now, this is all dependent upon size, age, etc....

Someone with a lot of weight to lose can afford larger deficits where as those with less cannot....without sacrificing LBM.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

In theory, yes you should. It may be putting you in a 1000 calorie deficit, but at a pretty low net number. It can be hard to meet nutritional needs at a number that low. It's the whole car/gas tank analogy. Now, this is all dependent upon size, age, etc....

Someone with a lot of weight to lose can afford larger deficits where as those with less cannot....without sacrificing LBM.

wouldn't 1000 off of 1200 put her at 200 net?????

or am I missing something ...

• EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    I love the thermodynamics people, they are the more brainwashed no-senses out there. The human body is not as simple as that, any hormonal imbalance, illness, excess stress and other aspects completely disrupt your body's ability to function properly and, therefore, your law is useless until you have a normal functioning body.

The "starvation mode" is not a myth, is genetic and human, we all have it for periods of starvation because we have evolved like that, but is not as simple as said here.

You might have adrenal fatigue or other problems and you are basically eating your own muscle to make fat, may be another reason, nevertheless just cut grains, dairy and sugar of your diet for at least 30 days and then check the results.