How to eat out without gaining weight?

Options
Hello, i travel a lot and i was wondering if you all have hints and tips for eating healthy while eating out... So that you don't gain?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If the restaurants have on-line menus there's a good chance there's nutritional information available. At the very least you can check out what's offered and read descriptions. Look for grilled and broiled or poached over fried for (generally) lower calories. Don't be afraid to ask your server how the dish is prepared. If they don't know they can ask in the kitchen. If you're reasonable and polite you might even be able to get things made slightly different, especially if the kitchen isn't busy. Ask for sauces/dressings to be served on the side or see if you can substitute a different side item that will fit your calorie goals better. You're paying for the service. The worst that can happen is something you request isn't possible at the time.

I usually try to decide in advance what I want and just work it into my day. If you're eating out three times a day it can be harder, but not impossible.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Get the salad instead of the burger lol Get a diet soda or water. And or get a low cal menu item, if you know the cal amount. And try to get in some exercise when you can. Well hope this helped. And good luck on your journey.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow traveler!! :)

I have been all over the world, and firstly would like to point out that weight gain has been minimal, because of all of the walking you do sight seeing and such!

These are my two pieces of advice I have picked up along the way:

1) allow yourself to appreciate some of the naughty things! If you're in Italy, don't you DARE say no to Gelato!! You'll regret it later! Everything in moderation, so even if it means sharing a traditional dish that is high in cal, or having an appetiser-sized portion of it. Food is a HUGE part of appreciating a new culture!

2) Be smart about it. Remember that you can never go wrong with a salad with the dressing on the side (as long as it doesn't have bacon, cheese, croutons, of course!) Also simple dishes like grilled chicken, fish fillet or a small steak is great. Otherwise just try to replace those naughty, high cal side dishes with a green salad

I hope this helps :)
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your situation. Are you controlling where you eat? Or are you tagging along with others that want to go to the worst possible places?

I travel alot too, and I will tell people that I'm going to my room to get some extra work done, instead of the sports bar they want to go to, as I know nothing there is going to "fit" my goals.

If you do fast food alot on travel, almost all of them have some sort of "low cal" menu.

Never get things like the fries...I know they are delicious, but most places will substitute a fruit bowl or veggies or some other such, even at the "bad" places.

Whenever I have to go to a bbq place, I'll opt for the pulled pork (carolina style if available) and forego the bun, and eat it with a fork. You do have a fork in your purse right? Green beans or side salad etc.. instead of the usually crazy baked beans, or loaded mashed potatoes, etc....

There are ways to "limit" it, but it is very difficult if you eat out a lot to stay in your calorie range.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stick to steamed vegetables and grilled chicken. Keep in mind that sometimes restaurants add things like butter to their 'light' items to make them taste better, so you aren't totally safe, but it still seems to be the best bet. Salads are good too as long as they're not loaded down with croutons, cheese and dressing. If I do eat a carb, like rice, I only eat a small amount (1/2 cup at most). Just watch your portion sizes and try to know ahead of time which foods are high in calories and you should be okay.
  • cjeanthiele
    cjeanthiele Posts: 18
    Options
    I find it helpful to avoid bread/ buns/ rolls. Stick to smaller portions of meat and see if you can find any vegetables that aren't drowned in butter or fried. Desserts should be considered only after you've logged the days food and made sure you can fit them in.. For breakfasts, try to find unsweetened fruit, and a lower calorie protein (yogurt, egg whites, lean meat). Remember that restaurants try to make their food taste extra good, often by adding extra fat, salt or sugar. Basically, get as close to what you'd fix for yourself as possible and watch the portion sizes ( restaurants can charge more for bigger portions, and the raw ingredients are less expensive then the labor, so there's an incentive for them to make bigger meals)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I have two meals rather than three to save $/£. I enjoy the yummy eats of the city / country I'm visiting. I walk ALOT, and I've never gained while traveling.
  • devinberglundjoubert
    devinberglundjoubert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump!