Thanksgiving Cheat Sheet

Options

Replies

• kittykat22459
    kittykat22459 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i appreciate this greatly! i am also trying to still stay on track for thanksgiving and have been trying to do research to help but this is great! thank you!
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get exactly what you were doing, and I appreciate the effort you went in to do it. It is a very helpful way to work your way down that buffet line and make choices. This year I will choose a bit more mashed potatoes and gravy and skip the pie. My usual Thanksgiving/feast technique is to make an amazing "spa plate" which is tiny portions of absolutely everything that I want. It fills the whole plate. OH and no seconds. Good luck and thanks for making this chart!
  • GinaSmash
    GinaSmash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I actually typed Thanksgiving into the search field on purpose. I think it is very helpful. Thanksgiving DAY is not a problem for me, it's the leftovers. I usually have food left over at my house as well. So, in order to combat the leftover issue, I purchased a package of to go containers and to go boxes for my family and friends to take food with them. If it is not in my house, I won't be tempted. With adding that, and sticking to my workout schedule, all should go as planned.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm probably eating a couple foot long subs and a case a beer so I'll be around 3500 calories. I just run for a few hours in the morning and I'm good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    Yes, I get exactly what you were doing, and I appreciate the effort you went in to do it. It is a very helpful way to work your way down that buffet line and make choices. This year I will choose a bit more mashed potatoes and gravy and skip the pie. My usual Thanksgiving/feast technique is to make an amazing "spa plate" which is tiny portions of absolutely everything that I want. It fills the whole plate. OH and no seconds. Good luck and thanks for making this chart!

skipping pie is a felony on thanksgiving...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice to see what's a good route to pick generically- Like I know I"m going in mostly for meat- and veggies- and potatoes and pie- and wine.
    - lots of wine.
    - and lots of pie.

But meat and veggies are my go to.

I think sweating how much of this or that is just too much.

Honestly most people agonize over the days from Nov 25- January 1st... and they really should be more concerned with what happens between January 2nd and November 24th.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    DavePFJ wrote: »
    I'm probably eating a couple foot long subs and a case a beer so I'll be around 3500 calories. I just run for a few hours in the morning and I'm good.

:huh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think it's nice to see what's a good route to pick generically- Like I know I"m going in mostly for meat- and veggies- and potatoes and pie- and wine.
    - lots of wine.
    - and lots of pie.

Honestly most people agonize over the days from Nov 25- January 1st... and they really should be more concerned with what happens between January 2nd and November 24th.

AMEN

end thread/
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Does this account for all the REAL BUTTER i'm going to lather everything in?
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This is depressing. But thank you! It will help remind me to keep myself in check. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Let's say you celebrate a few birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas day and eve, New Years, Mardi Gras, Easter, 4th of July and Labor Day. That's 10 days or just under 3% of the entire year. Enjoy those days! Nothing wrong with focusing on meats and vegetables to keep from going super crazy, but you can be in great shape (or get in great shape) while enjoying a few special days of the year.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, look at the calories on pie. OK, that does it, I'll have a cup of coffee after dinner instead and pretend I'm "too full for dessert." Then they can send it home with me, and then my husband will eat it instead. aint touching it. Not after all this hard work. Aint nothin' taste good enough to be worth that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well since all i really care about is the pumpkin pie and the stuffing i can get out of there with under 500 cals and still have room for a glass of wine. Soemtimes i aim for 500 cal dinners and since i cant count on my appetite lately its good toknow i should at least be able to pull that off...in case i have one of those weird not hungry or upset tummy days I've been having lately.
  • JoRocka
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Aint nothin' taste good enough to be worth that.

Oh yes. I'll just probably have 1/16th of everything instead of 1/8th of everything.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    - lots of wine.
    - and lots of pie.

Wrong. January 5 to Nov 24 (My bday is Jan 4 ;) )
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I am dually corrected.

I suppose I should really say Oct 31st to Jan 4th and Jan 5th to Oct 30th... because- how can we leave out halloween- but really- the gist of the point has thusly been made.
    -
    Also yay for holiday birthdays- that's easier to deal with food wise- just kind of lump it all together!
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Green bean casserole is only 71 calories per half cup?! Compared to everything else that is like diet food. I know what my plate will look like on Thursday. Thanks OP!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    rgrady33 wrote: »
    Green bean casserole is only 71 calories per half cup?! Compared to everything else that is like diet food. I know what my plate will look like on Thursday. Thanks OP!
    That and dinner rolls. Lots and lots of rolls.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    fauxfox66 wrote: »
    Oh, I think I'm seeing why this might seem neurotic- I'm not actually going to carry around a scale or a cup measure! I'm just going to eyeball stuff, I'm not going to have a calculator out, I'm not THAT neurotic. I just want to know what's on my plate so I can sort of balance stuff out- if I want a piece of pecan pie, I'll skip out on the cranberry sauce or only have a teeny bit, or if I eat a lot of carrots instead of stuffing then I've earned two lemon squares instead of just one.

I'm definitely not going to be actually using a cup measure or scale when I'm loading up my plate. I'm definitely not going to eat like a bird on thanksgiving. I'm just going to be aware of what I'm putting in my body.

Ahhh, so you actually have no idea how much of everything you'll be eating. Got it.