Losing weight on meds

What are your thoughts on this and do you believe that certain prescription meds might hinder your weight loss? I did my own experiment but would like to hear from others.

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Depends on what the meds are...
  • My husband is on 3 different pain meds for chronic pain and struggles losing weight. His doctor said part of that is due to the pain meds he is on. They slow down his metabolism.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Yes. I believe health and medications both play a role in weight loss/gain. So does one's outlook.
  • What are your thoughts on this and do you believe that certain prescription meds might hinder your weight loss? I did my own experiment but would like to hear from others.

Absolutely! Meds which affect serotonin / dopamine WILL impact weight.

People crave sugary, simple carbs, 'comfort food' because it produces the combination of serotonin / dopamine in the brain - makes us feel all warm & fuzzy.

So meds impacting those two brain chemicals may potentially increase that craving for foods which will sustain that - vicious cycle but not helpless.

Simply by being aware of those cravings can help one to be more selective in food choice.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    It really depends on the medicines. There are some that slow down your metabolism, some that cause you to retain water. You have to find a way to get around the side effects of the meds, if they slow your metabolism you have to find ways to burn more calories at the same time you need to cut the calories your consuming until you hit a deficit.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I take seven different medications a day. I've lost 58 pounds so far.

It *very* much depends on the type of medication you're taking and the side effects of said medication(s).

There's no "yes" or "no".
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited November 2014
    w
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Citalopram can seriously stand in the way for some people.