was this considered a binge?

Hi, I've never posted on the forums but have been using MFP for a while. I'm 23, female, weigh 130, and am 5'4". I'm recovering from an eating disorder and have recently gained a few pounds because I have been eating more. Today I ate 2 Luna bars, 2 veggie burgers, a lean cuisine salad, a Luna protein bar, and 250 calories of edamame with sea salt- a total of 1300 calories. Any way to minimize gain from this? I only did about 30 min of exercise today.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    In a day, no that's not a binge.

In half an hour, that's a binge.

You've had an eating disorder, so I assume you have gotten professional help. You should talk to them. Even if you're wondering, you should talk to them. It takes a long time to recover.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    What's your calorie goal normally? Personally I wouldn't consider that a binge. 1300 calories is still a fairly low calorie goal.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Hi, I've never posted on the forums but have been using MFP for a while. I'm 23, female, weigh 130, and am 5'4". I'm recovering from an eating disorder and have recently gained a few pounds because I have been eating more. Today I ate 2 Luna bars, 2 veggie burgers, a lean cuisine salad, a Luna protein bar, and 250 calories of edamame with sea salt- a total of 1300 calories. Any way to minimize gain from this? I only did about 30 min of exercise today.

Do YOU consider it a binge? did you eat because you were hungry? Did you eat for some other reason?

I wouldn't really sweat it too bad. Today is done. Don't do it again tomorrow. Easy-peasy. The way to "minimize gain" from this is just to add an extra 5 minutes to your workouts for the rest of the week, and stick to your calorie goals.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    1300 cals in a day is low. I eat 1800 to lose weight and I am same height as you and weigh only 7 pounds more and slightly older.
  • What's your calorie goal normally? Personally I wouldn't consider that a binge. 1300 calories is still a fairly low calorie goal.

usually I aim for 800.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    In a day, no that's not a binge.

In half an hour, that's a binge.

This
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    What's your calorie goal normally? Personally I wouldn't consider that a binge. 1300 calories is still a fairly low calorie goal.

usually I aim for 800.

You haven't unfortunately recovered from your eating disorder yet. Please get professional help
  • pmakretsew
    pmakretsew Posts: 12
    That's probably HALF of what you should be eating. Please go see a qualified professional if you haven't done so already. MFP can't help or fix this problem.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    From my understanding on what I have read your minimum should be 1200 not 800. 800 is way to low.
  • lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    800 calories in a day and you exercise? That is not enough. My 7 month old baby takes in roughly 900 calories per day. I think you should seek out professional help.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member

usually I aim for 800.

..then yes, that was probably a binge for you, but I don't think it was an unhealthy thing. 1300 calories for a young woman isn't incredibly high. There are many women your age or close who eat that much or more. I hope you continue to recover. Perhaps you could bring this up with your therapist or support.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member

usually I aim for 800.

You might want to talk to whoever you see for your ED, 800 calories is still incredibly low, when I was in recovery I had to eat 1500 calories a day, at the beginning, it was increased as my recovery went on and I had less anxiety about calories.

People keep saying 1300 calories isn't "incredibly/very" high for a young woman, it isn't high enough for most people, young women included. I went from anorexia to a binge/purge disorder then into recovery. When I would binge it was multiple thousands of calories in a sitting, I would feel sick and continue to eat because I couldn't stop myself from eating until beyond the point of pain, it was a compulsion and I was, at the time, helpless to stop it, or so it seemed. 1300 calories is not sustainable for long, especially if you aren't eating back exercise calories.

tl;dr Not a binge, you need to eat more and talk to your therapist about your recovery.
  • Seek professional help again please
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    The amount that you have eaten today is not a binge, though I can understand why you would feel this way if you are recovering from an eating disorder (I've been there). I personally think what you've described is a good day, though a little more variety might be nice (i.e. replacing one of those luna bars with some yogurt or a banana).

Please, and I know it's difficult at first for someone in your situation, but please try to eat at least 1,200 calories a day.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member

Hey there,

I'm sure this is difficult for you. The first step, as you know, is to recognize the problem. Feel free to add me and check out my diary. (I'm pretty sure you can view it.)

I'm not a professional, however, my best guess is that your body is just adjusting. You might gain a little weight, but once you get *healthy* and your body regains what it's lost from your eating disorder, you will even out.

What you ate today seems so yummy! 1300 calories, though, seems like it's about where you should be. What weight did your doctors recommend you aim for? How is that different from where you think you should be?

Ultimately, you need to be listening to the professionals, not us. BUT, I know sometimes they just sound so unreasonable and they don't seem very relatable. I've never had an eating disorder, but I'll still lend an ear and a little life experience if you want.

PS- Do not take other posters harsh words to heart. Some people have a very difficult time understanding that what is "normal" or "healthy" or "right" to them is NOT true for everyone.
  • hollyscofield7
    hollyscofield7 Posts: 11 Member
    If that's over the course of the day, I'd say you're good. But I understand if you are freaking out about it. I just have a salad each day and that's it and over the holiday weekend I had a "normal" dinner and was really uncomfortable doing so. Don't sweat it though and for your height your weight is good. Take it one day at a time!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member

usually I aim for 800.

You're not recovered from the eating disorder - you're still very actively involved with it. Hope you're still getting help for it! Good luck!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member

Do YOU consider it a binge? did you eat because you were hungry? Did you eat for some other reason?

I wouldn't really sweat it too bad. Today is done. Don't do it again tomorrow. Easy-peasy. The way to "minimize gain" from this is just to add an extra 5 minutes to your workouts for the rest of the week, and stick to your calorie goals.

Ignorant response is ignorant response. Did you even read the original post ?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    If that was your binge then you should binge everday!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    1300 cals in a day is low. I eat 1800 to lose weight and I am same height as you and weigh only 7 pounds more and slightly older.

I'm the exact same weight as the OP and my MAINTENANCE is 1680 plus exercise cals, which I always eat. At 1800, I begin to put on a little weight, personally.

OP, 1380 is about what I used to eat to LOSE weight, so I don't think you are in danger of gaining weight on 1300 unless your metabolism is severely damaged by the eating disorder. I'm hoping you're in treatment right now and that the reason you're only eating 800 cals is because you are working on raising your calories slowly over time to help make the adjustment to a healthier, higher calorie intake...:flowerforyou: