greetings and salutations....

Options
My Name is Mat, and I weighed 355 lbs.
My name is mat, and I am a Bad Finisher. (this feels like an AA meeting)
I started 2014 at 355 lbs. I decided it was time to do something for myself that didn't include a hot fudge sundae. I got a gym membership and started working out. I don't have a history of athletics, not a former anything, just fat. I got a trainer who helped me get started and answered all of my inane questions. and then I quit going to the gym. Life, schedule, kids, it all took it's toll. But hey I had made progress in my time there, I lost 28# in my 5 months in the gym and I was happy with that. Except I wasn't happy with just that. I really wanted to achieve my goal of getting down to 25
I should explain that I am a great starter. I dive headfirst into everything I try. I research the crap out of what I'm about to get into and then bail in 6 months when I get bored. I am a terrible finisher. I realized I had fallen right back into the habits that got me fat (regained 15 lbs) and decided I needed a change. something that still kept me on the weight loss track, but was a new challenge, new scenery, just... new. So I started to run (ok walk/jog).
I would love to tell you that I've discovered a love of running that makes me now want to run a marathon... but I detest running. I hate it with the intensity of a dying sun. but yet 3 times a week, I go and run. I found that by scheduling events 1 time a month, it motivates me to keep training. to keep going and not give up.
My name is Mat, and I do 5k's. By paying for an event, it keeps me motivated. I refuse to be "that guy who puked in the first mile", I refuse to be just another overweight guy. I maybe that now, but I refuse to be defined by that. over time I hope to extend to 10ks and half marathons. I hope to learn to love to run. I know that I will learn to love the benefits of running.
327 and dropping.

Replies