Vegemite to be the new superfood?? (/s)

Options
ducati45
ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Had a vegemite sandwich this morning, because I'm Australian as all hell. Noticed when tracking it's low in calories and has nearly 2 twice as much protein as carbs, and negligible fat, as well as containing heaps of B vitamins and folate!
Move over Acai Berries,Wheatgrass and Green Tea!!
Chuck that in your smoothie!*

Unfortunately no-one without Aussie citizenship can really stand the stuff, due to exposure as a child but hey, it's about health not taste am I right?
Do you want to have these results???
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Aix0cEp0N_0/

*do not for the love of God do this

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Never seen it here, But we have something called sandwich spread...Wonder if its the same? I will have to investigate!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a jar in my desk drawer. I'm sometimes guilty of eating it straight out of the jar in the afternoon.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat vegemite :( stupid coeliacs
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Marmite is similar, we have that in the UK... but I find it to be pretty disgusting :P
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Marmite is similar, we have that in the UK... but I find it to be pretty disgusting :P

Marmite *is* disgusting!
  • bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i eat Vegemite quite a bit.. i don't eat bread so i smother it rather thickly onto Rice Thins
    Love the stuff..
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ugh. My SO is from New Zealand (I'm from the USA), and he fairly regularly eats this stuff. I've tried to like it but it's like him with root beer - it just tastes disgusting. You just have to grow up with it.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Does it taste anything like Fosters?
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Only the sodium is through the roof...
  • ducati45
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've only heard nothing but terrible things from anyone outside of New Zealand. What does it actually taste like? Compare it to something?
    Nothing really compares...I do like watching the video of Americans on youtube eating it as a "challenge". Soft!

• ducati45
    Options
    Rerun201 wrote: »
    Does it taste anything like Fosters?
    Nope! (btw no-one actually drinks fosters here :P )

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've only heard nothing but terrible things from anyone outside of New Zealand. What does it actually taste like? Compare it to something?

To me, it tastes like yeasty, thick soy sauce. I think most people outside of Australia, NZ and the UK try to put too much on their bread. You're only supposed to use just a little. Use too much and it's overpowering.

• ducati45
    Options
    Only the sodium is through the roof...
    If I ever get high blood pressure and have to give up the stuff, I will not be a happy little vegemite :(
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like it in small amounts. It's excellent for certain cravings. But I can't imagine just eating a spoonful :s It's definitely a challenge to find in the states though.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a jar in my desk drawer. I'm sometimes guilty of eating it straight out of the jar in the afternoon.
    OMG, YES!!!
    I don't have it in my drawer at work but, I'll be starting my Vegemite stash today (actually can't believe that hasn't occurred to me until now).

• summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who brought some when she visited from Australia. To me it tasted much like a beef bouillon cube or miso paste. Definitely could not eat much of it!
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Yesss!! I LOVE vegemite, I eat it from the jar too :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I sat next to this tall, thin girl on a train going up the coast of California once. She ate 4 HUGE peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches in one sitting. It was amazing. I hope I didn't stare too much. ;)
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have never had Marmite (the UK version) or peanut butter - the sight and smell of both are gross. The same with Nutella here in Germany - just looking at it is enough to put you off. Guess that is my body telling me... erm, something!!