It's fun seeing how much weight I can gain in 24 hours

Options
One time I put on more than 10 pounds in a single day, just to play around and see how much variation is possible in body weight in a short time period.

I started out that morning pretty light, having used the bathroom and not eaten much the day before. I ate a normal amount of calories, going to about 2,500 which was my TDEE. Then, over the course of a couple of hours, I drank as much water as I possibly could. It was really uncomfortable near the end, but I stuck through with it and kept drinking...I went up from 147 pounds to 161 pounds in one day. I was pretty proud, haha. I didn't really do it to prove anything, just to see how much I could gain.

Anyway, in retrospect, it did make me realize that your body can change weight very quickly without any lasting effects. Obviously my weight went back down very quickly because all that excess water left my body soon enough. Everyone knows that--it just feels much more concrete when you try something like this for yourself.

In the short term, gaining weight is not always the result of consuming calories. Often, most of those extra pounds you see on the scale are because you might have eaten something heavy in weight but light in calories. In the short term, weight gain =/= fat gain, so don't panic if you gained five pounds on Thanksgiving. You can't gain that much fat even if you eat 2,000 calories above your TDEE. Long term trends in weight are important. Short term changes are most likely fleeting.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but which weighs more, a pound of turkey or a pound of stuffing?
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself at night and was 4lbs heavier than in the morning. The body is a strange beast.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Yeah, but which weighs more, a pound of turkey or a pound of stuffing?

I know that this is in jest but it used to drive me crazy when my weight would fluctuate like mad. "If I only ate about 2 pounds of food, how could I possibly have gained 5 pounds?" I'd wonder.

In your example, a pound of stuffing weighs more once it's in your body than a pound of turkey. The stuffing has more carbs and salt than the meat does, so you retain more water with it!

The point of this post is not to be a smart *kitten*, just to remind people to not worry about the daily fluctuations as much.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    While it's great that you are experimenting to see how your body works, I would caution against drinking enough water that you have added 10+ lbs. Water intoxication is very real and can be fatal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I point this out frequently when people fret that they have 'gained' weight since weighing that morning. A litre of water weighs a kilo whether it is inside your stomach or in the bottle you're holding. Some foods make your retain water. Some foods hang around in your degestive tract a bit longer.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would totally suggest, for the great lulz, spend a day or so getting as dehydrated as you can get, then weigh, then see how much you can put on in a single day.

That should be wild.
    Have your doctor on speed dial, yo.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I would totally suggest, for the great lulz, spend a day or so getting as dehydrated as you can get, then weigh, then see how much you can put on in a single day.

That should be wild.

Actually (and I don't recommend this) I've swung almost 13lbs in a 24 hour period with the first weight being the morning after a big night, with a RAGING hangover (so totally dehydrated) and the weight 24 hours later after killing the hangover with soooo much water, pizza, salty food, you name it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many of us have been there...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

That should be wild.

which is what bodybuilders before competitions
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    OP - How long did it take for the water weight to come off?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    This is actually quite a good read - Thanks for posting & making us realise that the number on the scales can change ALOT!!

As we all know, its 3,500 calories over your maintenance calories = 1lb of fat
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    While it's great that you are experimenting to see how your body works, I would caution against drinking enough water that you have added 10+ lbs. Water intoxication is very real and can be fatal.

10 pounds of water is 10 pints. thats not an outrageous amount of water to drink.