What do you think? Silly question . . .

Options
I was just glancing thru some of the recent posts, and each time I would go to a new post, a giant Dominoes Pizza ad would pop up on the right side of the screen. It was so huge, and so obviously calling my name. Lots of pics of pizzas and sandwiches and garlic bread, and great deals and coupons, and they even deliver. I can even order on line, wouldn't even have to get up from my desk.

Is it just me, or is that a terrible way to sabotage someone's day, by advertising pizza and garlic bread (with extra cheese:wink: ), on a weight-loss/fitness site??!!

And, for those of you out there that want to preach to me, I know, I know, I should have enough will power not to order a pizza, which I do. I have no intention of calling them, but not everyone may be in that place today . . . just a thought . . . what do you guys think??? Just curious - obviously this is not critical in the big picture, but it's now 10:00 pm in So California and that has been the only advertisement I have seen all day, each time I signed on to the site . . .

Replies

• pmakretsew
    pmakretsew Posts: 12
    Options
    I think you should install the browser extension Adblock/Adblock Plus ;) The ads are just targeted to certain terms, MFP tracks food, a food ad makes perfect sense. However, install adblock and you'll never be tempted again... ever. I promise.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I typically ignore the ads, but sometimes notice ones for the HGC diet, which is banned from being promoted via discussion on this forum due to the dangerous nature of it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I use an Ad blocker so I avoid seeing the ads.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were ads on this site. I guess I can thank my adblocker for that. I would have the pizza, because I like pizza and allow myself to eat pizza. I might have some this weekend.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    The ads come up based on your searches - eg mine comes up with ebay, weight loss sites, lite n easy (a food delivery service here in Australia) from your search engine.

So at some point, you must have searched for pizza....
  • Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm getting ads for The Colour Me Rad run, and People's Jewelery. I guess they know I want to get engaged, and want to do the run.

I think that some of the ads come up from what was viewed previously, like mine are right now, but there have been some for the postal service and diet pills. Bleh!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you use firefox, you can get an addon called "Adblock Plus", which removes any and all ads from webpages. I absolutely love it!
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't see the ads because I have Ad Blocker Plus installed on my web browsers. You should check it out. It also blocks YouTube ads and stuff most of the time.

I work in IT. This is a simple install and won't slow your computer down at all - in fact, due to the lack of ads, it'll speed up a lot!

http://adblockplus.org
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    There was another thread about this a few days ago. Someone suggested a browser plugin (which I installed) which blocks all ads and website data tracking software. It's called Ghostery. And it's freaking AWESOME. I no longer have any food ads. Or any ads at all. :happy:
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There was another thread about this a few days ago. Someone suggested a browser plugin (which I installed) which blocks all ads and website data tracking software. It's called Ghostery. And it's freaking AWESOME. I no longer have any food ads. Or any ads at all. :happy:

niiice imma try that. thanks!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I started to pay attention to the pop-ups on my screen and they are for all kind of Purina " Pro Plan " dog food...lol.
    No temptation for me....at all.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Strange. I'm not getting any adverts at all! Neither at home (Chrome) or at work (Firefox). One thing I do when I don't want to see certain things (e.g. on Facebook): I do not maximize the screen. Instead, I make it smaller and adjust the window so I can see the main part of the page, but don't see anything on the sides. Maybe that'll work for you too?
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The ads displayed on the screen are generated from your most common searches...
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    ^ this is true. I don't get those ads people complain about. I get other kinds.
  • katiebiotch
    katiebiotch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always see adds for hair extensions or my gym. It really makes me want to drag my *kitten* to the gym. I think it's trying to tell me something...
  • booty4dookie
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL STORY!!! IT MADE ME CRY!!!!!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Just remember when using ad blockers, the ads pay MFP and keep MFP free to use. Block them if you must but I'd rather ignore tham and let ad placement on MFP generate cash for them than to have to pay a subscription fee sometime later.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The ads come up based on your searches - eg mine comes up with ebay, weight loss sites, lite n easy (a food delivery service here in Australia) from your search engine.

You're right, I forgot about that . . . that's funny . . . my daughter did order pizza on line last week . . . BUT, you would think different ads would come up occasionally - I am on my computer all the time, searching all kinds of stuff . . . oh well . . . tonight I'm going to search "gym equipment" and hopefully that will be the end of my pizza temptations . . . :laugh: :tongue:
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

I disagree, atm im gettin ads for tooway (something to do with internet speeds)
    Zero dark thirty (gonna say its a film.. as its on blu ray an dvd...)

and Vodafone, this one.. yes i did go on vodafones website last night.... the other 2 though, i have no idea?

And im the only one with access to my laptop
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I am getting adds for a quest bar and zulily clothing. No temptation there.