Questions on Food daily goals - Calories

When I enter in my info for my profile it says I should eat 1200 per day however when I go to the food tab the total on my daily goal is 1523? Shouldn't that say 1200? Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    If you log exercise, it will add the calories from your exercise to your daily total. 1200 is your pre-exercise "base" goal, and then the idea is to "eat back" those exercise calories on top of that. Though most MFP members find that the site tends to overestimate calories burned from exercise, so you may want to experiment with only eating back a portion of those (say, half).

Worth noting: 1200 calories is the minimum that the calculator will give you as a "base" goal. That's usually because either you're quite small/petite, or because you've entered a very aggressive weight loss goal of more than 1lb/week. What is your height and weight? What's your goal? You may want to slow the pace to get a more realistic daily calorie goal.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Did you add in your exercise today of 323 calories? If so, it's prompting you to eat some or most of that back.
  • Okay, so, let me get this straight. I exercise for two hours per day (one in the morning, and another hour before I go to be). My goal is to lose 2 lbs per week. Now, with my weight being 315 lbs right now, I calculate the calorie intake to be 2800 (correct me if I am incorrect). So, my question is this: as a male, should I consume no more than 2800 calories per day? And, if so, I should I structure my eating habit, especially in the morning, after I wake up? For reason, I do feel that I am getting stronger, but I haven't lost any weight lately. I don't know if it's what I eat, or if I am consuming more calories in general. I will say that, before actually looking into what MyFitnessPal has to offer, I merely exercised off whatever I consumed (ex: I eat 100 cal, I burn off 100 cal). Since I did this two weeks ago, I haven't seen any results. I thought I might have to wait a while before my eating habits stabilize to the point of trying out the methods used by MyFitnessPal, which is why I am posting right now. Any help will be really appreciated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    dswynne wrote: »
    Okay, so, let me get this straight. I exercise for two hours per day (one in the morning, and another hour before I go to be). My goal is to lose 2 lbs per week. Now, with my weight being 315 lbs right now, I calculate the calorie intake to be 2800 (correct me if I am incorrect). So, my question is this: as a male, should I consume no more than 2800 calories per day? And, if so, I should I structure my eating habit, especially in the morning, after I wake up? For reason, I do feel that I am getting stronger, but I haven't lost any weight lately. I don't know if it's what I eat, or if I am consuming more calories in general. I will say that, before actually looking into what MyFitnessPal has to offer, I merely exercised off whatever I consumed (ex: I eat 100 cal, I burn off 100 cal). Since I did this two weeks ago, I haven't seen any results. I thought I might have to wait a while before my eating habits stabilize to the point of trying out the methods used by MyFitnessPal, which is why I am posting right now. Any help will be really appreciated.

start your own thread!