Ideal Weight?

Options
StuAblett
StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
Yes, I'm back on the wagon again and working hard at getting my fat *kitten* into shape.
A few years ago I was at 136Kg/300lbs, a year ago I got down to 108Kg/238lbs. My wife was very sick, I was working both of our jobs and taking care of her, yes I've got lots of excuses. A couple of weeks ago I was 127Kg/280lbs and today I'm 124Kg/273lbs, so I'm moving in the right direction. I use MFP and I log everything I eat. I'm mostly off of wheat, and I'm trying to move a lot more. I've got a FitBit One on the way so I hope that can keep me moving too. I can't cycle at the moment as I hurt my back and while its healing I cannot stand to ride the bike, so I'm walking.
I want to get into good shape, healthy be able to do most things I want to do, I'm not interested in slabbing on a bunch of muscle, I did that in my 20's and I have no need to do it now. I want to be lean and healthy, hows that? I don't think I want to be super racing cyclist lean, that may very well be a bridge too far.

OK enough background?

My question is what should I weigh? I'm a 49 year old guy, I'm 180cm\6' tall, is there an ideal weight for me? According to various sites on line by measuring my wrist I am just below the Large Frame size, so I'd be Medium Large I guess, if that helps.

When I came to Japan 23+ years ago I was at 84 Kg, I was not exactly lean and I was carrying more upper body muscle, can we say bench press. I think I should be able to hit 80Kg/175lbs or there about. My problem is that my wife and a few other friends that I talk to do NOT think it's possible,they tell me that I should be happy with just getting near 100Kg/220lbs, that I'm not as young as I once was etc.

Is this an impossible long term goal?

What would you all say is a good weight for a 49 year old guy who is lets say an active cyclist, not someone in training or racing trim, but someone who can do long days in the saddle and handle some good climbs?

I'm expecting this to take two or three years, no fast fix for me. I am hoping to be below 100Kg/220lbs by January 1st 2014

I thank you all in advance for your input.
Cheers!

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Congratulations first of all. 220 could be your goal, and then if you want to change it you can! You might just continue because of the lifestyle Change and momentum! Good for you, and have a fantastic 2013!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Stu, forget about the 80 kg stuff. It's unrealistic. Not to mention that you will look like ****. IMO a reasonable goal to shoot for 2013 would be 110 kg. 100 kg or less could be your longer term goal. A goal has to be achievable otherwise it becomes demotivating.

A little strength training wouldn't do you any harm. I'm not talking about bench pressing 100+ kgs or squatting 200 kgs, I'm talking lighter weights/ 2-3 sets of 15 reps. I spent the last few years doing almost exclusively cardio. In the process I managed to herniate a neck disk, lose upper body strength and hit a wall where I wasn't making any more progress.