Could use some opinions

Options
So 10 days ago I weighed in at 119.2kg, however every day since then I've hovered at around 119.5kg except for today where I came in at 119.9kg. I have quite a lot of weight to lose, so I've set my deficit to 1kg/week which puts me at 1720kcal/day. I've been doing pretty well staying around that goal since i started dieting about a month ago. Weighing my food and all that jazz. I also do full-body weightlifting 3 days a week(started Monday last week).

I'm hoping it's just my body keeping a lot of water due to the kinda harsh calorie deficit, new training regiment and the fact that I might not be drinking as much water as I should during a day (need to work on that lol).

So do you think I'm doing fine and worrying about nothing, or is there something I've just missed? Any insight is much appreciated :smile:

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    keep at it a little longer and see what happens...
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i did a lot of cardio,mainly swimming, to lose 20kg from 105 kg.
    now combine strength training to for body composition.
    add some cardio.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Early days, as redfisher1974 says give it a bit more time. Also, and I may have picked this up wrong so apologies if I have, only weigh yourself once a week, your body will retain / lose water at varying degrees over a week so you'll get flucuations. I weigh myself every Wednesday morning so all i'm weighing is my body weight not what I had to eat and drink that day. Best of luck to you on your weight loss!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I agree with what gothomson said. Most of us are creatures of habit, so what we did and ate on a particular day this week is likely to be very similar to what we did and ate on the same day a week earlier. By weighing on the same day at the same time each week, you are less likely to see fluctuations because the events leading up to the weigh-in are similar to the week before. But from day to day, there will be fluctuations.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    As the other posts have mentioned, try weighing yourself at the same time on the same day each week. For me, it's straight out of bed on Sunday morning, before I have eaten or drank anything (and of course after I've been to the loo), and you should begin to see more consistent and accurate results.
  • stew46
    stew46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do some cardio (run, walk, swim). Do whatever you are comfortable with and able to do for an extended period of time, 15 minutes or more. Weight training will do little to burn weight. In a lot of cases it will add weight as it burns fat and adds muscle mass.
    If you are only doing weight training, then don't worry about the weight, take body measurements and watch as the inches more around.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is more then likely happening is that you are building miscle as you loose fat. You did not say if you just started working out or if you have been doin it for a while. In the beginning I added muscle fast because it went from none to some. After you lay the base of muscle it goes on much slower. I weigh myself every day but do not let the fluctuation bother me. As long as I see a downward trend and a loss from week to week all is good. Measure around your mid section at its biggest point. If this goes down but the weight stays the same you are doing good. Don, t get discouraged if the mid section goes up a little, sometimes as you lose fat it drops and gets softer. I always use three things, the scale the tape measure and the mirror. If you make progress in any of these all is good. I went from 318lbs to 225lbs , 56inches mid section to 44 inches and from fat slob in the mirror to normal looking. Hangbin ther and change will come
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    As others have said, stick it out a bit longer and only weigh in once a week (same day, time etc)

looking at your profile you have already lost 2kg from your start weight, so something IS working.
    the weight you are seeing atm will not be there forever and will go down too. its most likely water retention.

I had a week that i weighed in and had not lost, over the following 2 weeks my weight went up and down by 0.4-1.8kg.
    I was so upset that not only had I not lost anything but it was then going up again.
    but then on the 3red week when I weighed in I was down 2kg.

this seems to be my pattern, I have a few weeks of now sign of a loss and then BANG I have a sudden drop.
    Its pretty common to see weight loss like this (loads of people here see this kind of patern) so this is why you need to just keep going, even though it can be a bummer not seeing any change on the scale.

so on that note have you taken your measurements? (chest, waist, hips, arms, thighs etc)
    even when the scale is not going down the inchs usually still are moving in the rigt direction (this is how I knew I was still on track and just waited it out for the scale to catch up)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    sorry, soooo many typos' in that post
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    What is more then likely happening is that you are building miscle as you loose fat. You did not say if you just started working out or if you have been doin it for a while. In the beginning I added muscle fast because it went from none to some. After you lay the base of muscle it goes on much slower.

NOPE!
    You don't build muscle in a deficit (with the exception of newbie gains), let alone in 10 days. You can however be retaining water due to your new lifting routine, which is normal as your muscles repair.
    Be patient, it will come.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    tomsarno wrote: »
    What is more then likely happening is that you are building miscle as you loose fat. You did not say if you just started working out or if you have been doin it for a while. In the beginning I added muscle fast because it went from none to some. After you lay the base of muscle it goes on much slower.

NOPE!
    You don't build muscle in a deficit (with the exception of newbie gains), let alone in 10 days. You can however be retaining water due to your new lifting routine, which is normal as your muscles repair.
    Be patient, it will come.

^ Agreed. Starting a new lifting routine can definitely cause a temporary stall in scale weight loss. I was up about 3lbs after I started Stronglifts in June. It went back down after around 2 weeks. Give it another week or so.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Also, you say that you've been keeping 'around' your goal cals, but if you want to see results you should start weighing/measuring accurate calorie counts. You might be, but when I see 'around' I think you're guesstimating or eyeballing portions and that can lead to stalls and gains.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers guys! Been really helpful :smile:

I am going to start cardio at some point, but right now I simply don't have the time for it. Lots of pre-christmas stuff to be done! After new years I might have some spare time though.