Gained back all the weight I lost!

Options
antowhatever
antowhatever Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello there!
Finally made a decision and realized I couldn't go on like this. My weightloss started almost two years ago, at 57 kg (I'm 161 cm tall). With exercises and clean eating I managed to drop 2 sizes and last December I was 50 kg.
I knew that was too little for me 'cause my period stopped. I started to eat a bit more and got to a safe 52 kg and I felt comfortable.

In July my dad died and that caused a lot of stress which i took out on food and binged a lot...without really controlling my snacking.

I was used to eat around 1200 kcal a day or even less cause it was just veggies and I worked out loads ( I know it was too little, If only I could go back!), but after the summer I weighted 57 kg. Got all the weight back.
I decided, for once, to not restrict and go see a dietitian and follow her plan.
She said that i slowed my basal metabolism down and that's why I gained even if it wasn't a massive amount of food.
The thing is, I think that I'm eating too much with her plan and since I started two weeks ago, it looks like a gained another kg. Should I trust her? I logged her plan at it's still around the same calories a amount but with a lot more carbs ( Forgot to say that i'm italian!!) so I'm really confused.

From what I was told in the gym, My BMR is 1379, with 19% body fat.
So my question is...is this a natural process in order to get back to weight loss?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you weigh 125 at 5'3? Were you exercising during the summer? You can be retaining water from the new exercise. Two weeks is not enough time to make a determination, give it a couple more weeks and see where you're at.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A few things jump out at me...
    • At some point you have to trust a method (MFP, dietitian, something) and go with it long enough to see meaningful results. That means a least a couple of months.
    • 19% body fat is pretty good. If my conversions are correct, you're 5' 3" tall and somewhere around 121lbs (55kg). Those are all good, reasonable numbers. Make sure you have healthy, appropriate expectations for yourself.
    • If you do need to "rebuild your metabolism", eating more and gaining a bit of weight is the only way to do it. This is a matter of health, not about weight loss.
    • 1kg is just over 2lbs - well within the normal range of typical weight fluctuations. Give it more time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    Finally made a decision and realized I couldn't go on like this. My weightloss started almost two years ago, at 57 kg (I'm 161 cm tall). With exercises and clean eating I managed to drop 2 sizes and last December I was 50 kg.
    I knew that was too little for me 'cause my period stopped. I started to eat a bit more and got to a safe 52 kg and I felt comfortable.

In July my dad died and that caused a lot of stress which i took out on food and binged a lot...without really controlling my snacking.

I was used to eat around 1200 kcal a day or even less cause it was just veggies and I worked out loads ( I know it was too little, If only I could go back!), but after the summer I weighted 57 kg. Got all the weight back.
    I decided, for once, to not restrict and go see a dietitian and follow her plan.
    She said that i slowed my basal metabolism down and that's why I gained even if it wasn't a massive amount of food.
    The thing is, I think that I'm eating too much with her plan and since I started two weeks ago, it looks like a gained another kg. Should I trust her? I logged her plan at it's still around the same calories a amount but with a lot more carbs ( Forgot to say that i'm italian!!) so I'm really confused.

From what I was told in the gym, My BMR is 1379, with 19% body fat.
    So my question is...is this a natural process in order to get back to weight loss?

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Sounds like your dietitian may be telling you right. The above link posted by a guy that does lot of lifting supports what your dietitian is telling you. The research paper above will tell you how your numbers can be expected to occur.

Ask your dietitian what your BMR really is. Once we screw up our metabolism having a dietitian involved to fix us can be very important.