recommended water?

Options
ok so everybody knows that doctors recommend 8 glasses of water a day right? well how many ounces is considered a glas? now a days there are all sorts of sizes in glasses, big ones, small ones, and medium ones, how are we to choose which one is considered one measured full glass? and for those people that drink bottled water, it usually comes in a 10fl ounces container, so would one bottle of water be considered one glass or would one bottle equal to maybe two glasses? can anyone help me with this information? thank u

Replies

• aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    1 cup of water is 8 ounces.

The recommended 8 cups of water equals 64 ounces.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i just assumed it was a half pint glass--not sure what ml that is!

i also wonder how much you should consume on exercise days when you sweat more??

i do also wonder why no one here ever talks in metric!! flozs mean nothing to most of the world!!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    8 ounces is a glass. So you need 64 ounces a day. I have a 32 ounce nalgene bottle that i make sure to drink at least two of each day.

Hope that helps!
  • JoJo_69
    JoJo_69 Posts: 47
    Options
    How are you supposed to measure water in ounces and grams?
    I have tumbler style glasses, and the water cups at work are a third of that size...............I am going to have to put my glass on the scales, weigh it and then fill it with water to see what the difference is hahhaha
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i just assumed it was a half pint glass--not sure what ml that is!

i also wonder how much you should consume on exercise days when you sweat more??

I've always been told that I need to consume at least 2 *extra* glasses of water for an hour of moderate-heavy exercise to replenish what you've lost during sweating. For me this equates to drinking an extra bottle (16.9fl oz) during my workouts. This bottle doesn't count in my regular 8(8oz) requirements.

However, although this *magic* number has been floating around about 64oz, just like with the amount of calories you need, is different for everyone! Some people feel fine with less and some people need more. 64oz is just a guideline to shoot for...

Hope this helps!
  • lTlasha
    lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink my water from water bottles and the ones I buy are 20 fl oz., that is 2.5 cups of water. Otherwise, an 8 oz glass of water, is usually the smaller glass that you would get when you buy cups. I hope this helps!
  • de1amo
    Options
    also you have to add tea and coffee to the hydration, it also is classed as hydrating by the docs
  • JoJo_69
    Options
    OMG I been drinking twice the amount I should................I am ok with my four at work (normal cup size glasses) then drinking another 4 tumbler type glasses which hold about 1/3 more or maybe even half haha...............no wonder i am peeing for england haha..................bottles for me:-)
  • JoJo_69
    Options
    161 grams is how many ounces?
  • de1amo
    Options
    how many fluid onces in half a pint or 250mls which are the glasses i use--i worked out there are 6 in my litre and a half bottle i consume at the gym
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    161 grams is how many ounces?

161g=161ml

161ml=5.4fl oz

Roughly, an ounce is equal to 30ml.

Here's a great website to use for conversions:

http://onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
  • JoJo_69
    Options
    Thanks for that studentRN xx
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The recommended is 64 ounces of water, but I follow the rules of drinking at least half my body weight in ounces which would be 74 ounces. I drink extra when working out (doing P90X yesterday I drank almost 6 extra cups) and when I go over on sodium I drink an extra cup for ever 500mg over.
    How are you supposed to measure water in ounces and grams?
    I have tumbler style glasses, and the water cups at work are a third of that size...............I am going to have to put my glass on the scales, weigh it and then fill it with water to see what the difference is hahhaha
    I have a camelback water bottle that's 750 ml (24 onces) and I drink at least 3 of those a day. You can find water bottles like that at Walmart and Target for under $10 or at your local camping/sporting goods store (they have 500 and 1000 ml bottles too).
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    how many fluid onces in half a pint or 250mls which are the glasses i use--i worked out there are 6 in my litre and a half bottle i consume at the gym
    250 ml is roughly equivalent to 8 fl oz. 500 ml = 16 oz, 750 ml = 24 oz, 1000 ml = 32 oz. All rough estimates of course.
  • JoJo_69
    Options
    Thanks I just looked in my fridge and I have a 500ml bottle, so on my adding up if i do 4 of those, thats 8 glasses there or thereabouts. Cheers everyone x
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Don't forget that if you are working out and consume a large amount more than 64 ounces of water you will need to replenish electrolytes too. :drinker:
  • de1amo
    Options
    how do you do that--no energy drinks where i live--i once used a weak solution of orange dilute and salt--is that electrolytes
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Electrolytes are mostly salt. I am not sure of what to use as an alternative; I use the clif shot blocks when I am working out alot and taking in alot of water. I typically don't use them unless I am working out for 50 minutes or more.
  • de1amo
    Options
    where i live people tend to bathe things in salt!! so i am sure i am getting my fill through the natural diet---disturbs me because they add more salt at the table before even tasting the well salted meal! i never used any salt in my cooking when i was single but cant avoid it as a married man!
  • JuDurand
    JuDurand Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi,

What I heard about coffee and tea, is that they shouldn't be counted in your daily water consommation, especially coffee, because it's dehydrating...

Personnally, I drink 4 x 500 mL per day at least...and more when it's hot or I workout. I use my Nalgene 1L bottle everyday, it's more ecofriendly!