Spinning Classes

Options
Morning all.

My local leisure centre offers spinning classes, I've wanted to give them a go fo a while but they are always fully booked - apart from the 7am classes which is impossible for me at the mo due to having to get my son up and ready for school. I know I can get in now for a class next week or maybe the week after, but I feel I won't be accepted favourably in the class as I will obviously have take one of the "regulars" spaces. I don't want to feel awkward. Does anyone else face this - what did you do?

TIA

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    So you are putting yourself second to strangers you never met?
  • RachelLM73
    RachelLM73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah it does sound silly doesn't it? I just don't want to feel awkward and as if I have taken one of their "friends" places. Which is effect I would have done lol
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    People know to book early to get a space anyway.. Often if there isn't a space you can get in on a cancellation.. Just make sure if you can't make it you cancel! ;)
  • RachelLM73
    Options
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what they think? How do you know that they will feel that way? I am sure not everyone who regularly takes the class gets to if it fills up early. No one is really going to care if you are new or not. If they didn't sign up in time, that isn't your problem. They should have known better.

Just go and enjoy yourself. Don't worry what other people maybe thinking because they probably aren't thinking it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Guess what? If you think you're going to feel awkward, then you will. But no one else will notice or care.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I recently started running and I'm pretty sure I look like I'm dying compared to the girl next me not even breaking a sweat running a 7 minute mile. I don't care - I keep going because someday I could run a 7 minute mile.

If you want to spin, spin your heart out. If you feel like you're not going to enjoy it because you'll be so self conscious then you need to get over that. Everyone started somewhere and that's a fact, although some of us may have started later than others. If you want to go, go. If not, then don't. It's your choice how you get your exercise and it's also your choice as to how you let others make you feel.
  • EALongbottom
    EALongbottom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a "regular" in a spin class I really couldn't care less :-) If someone else hasn't been quick enough to get a place that's up to them. Go and enjoy it! Excellent exercise
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It was the same at my leisure centre, every time I tried to book, it was fully booked, but if I asked to book for the next week, that booking sheet wouldn't be available yet. Eventually I managed to get in on a cancellation, and then booked for the next week immediately after the class. It was a small class, but I wasn't made to feel awkward at all, and the class members tended to change every few weeks, someone would drop out and someone new would appear. Just go for it. But, go at your own pace - don't try to keep up with the seasoned participants.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    people don't take spin classes for companionship.. there isn't much chit-chat going on when you push yourself the way they do in spin classes... SPIN is more about HIIT than taking a leisurely cycle down the bike path with your toddler... it's about pushing yourself... motivating yourself ... NO ONE cares who they are sweating beside
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's a public class not a private one so it's not 'their' spot but 'the person who sign's up for it's' spot.

Not being harsh but it almost sounds like you might be trying to find a reason not to go?....
  • RachelLM73
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You've all made me feel better about booking a place - if I manage to :) Veloman, I understand where you are coming from but it's not the case, I'll get my name down for a cancellation when I am at my class on Saturday morning :)
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Atta girl :-)
  • RachelLM73
    Options
    Thank you muchly :smiley: