Safe to eat rabbit that cat caught?

Options
Okay, I know this is a weird question, but is it safe to eat a rabbit that our cat caught? He caught a huge one today and my mom wanted to cook it, but we couldn't since the thought occurred to her a few hours after she threw it in the trash. If the next time our cat catches a rabbit, the rabbit is cleaned and cooked thoroughly, is it safe to eat it? Will any bacteria from the cat bite be killed in the cooking process?

Replies

• shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eughh !
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eughh !

Yeah, doesn't sound very appetizing, huh? My mom seems hellbent on it though.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    No! You have no idea whether it was healthy or not!
  • HereLieWe
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »

Isn't that the same with normal hunting though?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

If you go shoot it, you dont know that either so I don't see your point.

OP, I'd check with the game warden of your area. They should be aware of any diseases running through the rabbit population and could potentially give better insight.
  • HereLieWe
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

If you go shoot it, you dont know that either so I don't see your point.

OP, I'd check with the game warden of your area. They should be aware of any diseases running through the rabbit population and could potentially give better insight.
    Thanks, I'll do that.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    If a wild rabbit could not outrun a cat, it may be sickly or old; neither condition would portend a favorable outcome for cooking. The good news is that wild rabbit is rather nutritious and there already is a non-asterisked entry in the food database.
    n57pbtey1ijk.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    If a wild rabbit could not outrun a cat, it may be sickly or old; neither condition would portend a favorable outcome for cooking. The good news is that wild rabbit is rather nutritious and there already is a non-asterisked entry in the food database.
    n57pbtey1ijk.jpg

Hey, its a lean meat. Thats interesting... idk why but I wasn't expecting that lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    n57pbtey1ijk.jpg

Hey, its a lean meat. Thats interesting... idk why but I wasn't expecting that lol

Makes sense to me-- lots of running.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If a wild rabbit could not outrun a cat, it may be sickly or old; neither condition would portend a favorable outcome for cooking.

^^ This. And since the cat was the clear victor in this confrontation, I'd eat the cat. Someone needs to look up the macros on "cat" please.

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Give it a try and report back with your findings.
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    lol growing up we had cats that would hunt anything a cat is fully capable of taking down a rabbit. or squirrel or chipmunk
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Darryl Dixon approves
    3cfb1gsgi9kg.jpg
    0.jpg 33.4K
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    abcmommyx3 wrote: »
    lol growing up we had cats that would hunt anything a cat is fully capable of taking down a rabbit. or squirrel or chipmunk

I agree. We had a declawed cat and he would regularly bring home game. He brought me two chipmunks in once during the middle of the day, both live. Luckily, the dog caught and killed them or they'd still be in the house.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jade2112 wrote: »
    abcmommyx3 wrote: »

I agree. We had a declawed cat and he would regularly bring home game. He brought me two chipmunks in once during the middle of the day, both live. Luckily, the dog caught and killed them or they'd still be in the house.

This is why I don't have cats. :sick:
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Wild rabbits are a treat. But the term large that was used by the OP makes me suspect it was a domestic rabbit that someone may have lost or let go. They normally dont do well in the wild because they dont fear predators. Hence being caught by a cat.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The above post says "Rabbit - wild raw" I know that you can, t eat it raw, does the nutritional facts change on foods when they are cooked? If so, why do they list the values on it raw. If it does not change then why add the word raw to the title, why not add the word cooked?
  • HereLieWe
    edited November 2014
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    Wild rabbits are a treat. But the term large that was used by the OP makes me suspect it was a domestic rabbit that someone may have lost or let go. They normally dont do well in the wild because they dont fear predators. Hence being caught by a cat.
    I don't mean Flemish Giant large. More like a nice sized desert cottontail. (:
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    The above post says "Rabbit - wild raw" I know that you can, t eat it raw, does the nutritional facts change on foods when they are cooked? If so, why do they list the values on it raw. If it does not change then why add the word raw to the title, why not add the word cooked?

The values change when cooked, and they change depending on the way you cooked them. Meat loses water (and some fat) when cooked, but how much it will lose depends on whether you boiled, grilled, fried, etc. Weighing any and all types of meat raw is much more accurate than using their cooked weight.