How many sets/reps should I do?

Options
Hey!

So I've been into weight lifting on and off for the past year or so but I just recently got started again as I took a break since I was doing Insanity.

I was wondering how many sets/reps you guys recommend?

My goal is to gain muscle, of course...and look toned. I know they say do more reps/less weight for strength and fewer reps/more weight for growth. I want both...so I'm not sure what the best approach is.

Currently I tend to do either:

One set of 7 reps with the heaviest weight I can do and then two sets of 12 reps with the next weight down.

OR

Two sets of 7 reps with the heaviest weight I can do and then one set with the next weight down until fatigue.

Any advice on if that's effective or if there's a better way I should be approaching this?

Thank you!!

Replies

• lewispang
    lewispang Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's actually few reps/more weight for strength and higher reps/lower weight for growth. However both go hand in hand together. A stronger muscle is a bigger muscle and vice versa.

What i'd recommend is to switch it up every workout, so do 3 sets of 5 for strength one workout, then in your next workout do 3 sets of 10 - 12 for growth. It's alot better to split them out than to do both in one workout.

Don't get caught up in sticking in one rep range, it's always good to do a range.

Also i wouldn't go to failure on your sets, I would only go to failure on the last set. For example if I did on squats:

6 x 120kg
    3 x 120kg
    2 x 120kg

After the 1st set I'd be all burnt out and wouldn't be able to do as much on my next sets , whereas if i didnt go to failure :

5 x 120kg
    5 x 120kg
    5 x 120kg

I have a higher amount of volume, which equates to more work being done overall. ( you can always go to failure on your last set though if you want).

Don't get caught up in sticking in one rep range, it's always good to do a range.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I do three sets to failure of every exercise.

Rep range, for me, is in between 5 and 12. If I can't do 5 of something, it's too heavy. If I can do more than a dozen, it's too light. Some people advocate doing less reps with heavier weights than 5 but I find I'm a lot more likely to injure myself and have bad form (they go together) with something that relatively heavy.

I'll also change the weight from set to set; that's called pyramiding. Some people increase the weight and decrease the reps from set to set. Or, you can decrease the weight and increase reps. Which variation is called a "reverse pyramid" seems to change depending on who's writing the article. If you're going to failure, it's not really an issue.

I've got my starting weights written down but that's just a guide. There are a zillion factors that affect how many reps you can do at a given time, so don't worry about it. Just put in the real effort and don't kid yourself.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am bulking right now and I am working in the four set by six rep range on all of my exercise…

also, if you want to add muscle then you are going to need to eat in a calorie surplus….

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do three sets to failure of every exercise.

Rep range, for me, is in between 5 and 12. If I can't do 5 of something, it's too heavy. If I can do more than a dozen, it's too light. Some people advocate doing less reps with heavier weights than 5 but I find I'm a lot more likely to injure myself and have bad form (they go together) with something that relatively heavy.

I'll also change the weight from set to set; that's called pyramiding. Some people increase the weight and decrease the reps from set to set. Or, you can decrease the weight and increase reps. Which variation is called a "reverse pyramid" seems to change depending on who's writing the article. If you're going to failure, it's not really an issue.

I've got my starting weights written down but that's just a guide. There are a zillion factors that affect how many reps you can do at a given time, so don't worry about it. Just put in the real effort and don't kid yourself.

I guess that is up to you. I like to be able to move weight heavy. I do the 5/3/1 program which well does not go above 5 reps unless the last set which is till failure. The risk is higher and form does become important but form should always be important.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, realize that it's not black and white. It's not like once you hit a certain number of reps, you stop getting stronger and only get bigger, or if you stay under a certain number of reps you only get stronger. The body is constantly adapting, and progress will happen in both areas almost regardless of rep range (at least in the terms you are talking).

What type of routine are you doing? Full body a few times a week? push/pull? Upper/lower? Body part splits?

Generally speaking, I'd suggest full body routines, alternating 4-6 reps one day and 12-15 reps the following. Something like:

Monday - full body, high weight, 4-6 reps
    Wednesday - full body, moderate weight, 12-15 reps
    Friday - full body, high weight, 4-6 reps
  • kaitlynroyale
    kaitlynroyale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

The current routine I do is push/pull/legs but I'm open to changing it up.

And yeah I never go to failure on squats or bench press just because I go to a 24/7 gym since I'm a nanny and work til after staffed hours so there's almost never anyone there to spot me so I don't want to risk exhausting myself with those and then being stuck without help.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many sets/reps you guys recommend?
    Depends on the program you're doing.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

The current routine I do is push/pull/legs but I'm open to changing it up.

And yeah I never go to failure on squats or bench press just because I go to a 24/7 gym since I'm a nanny and work til after staffed hours so there's almost never anyone there to spot me so I don't want to risk exhausting myself with those and then being stuck without help.
    No power rack at the gym where you can set the safeties? If there's a Smith machine you could take the last few sets to failure or a rep shy in safety. Yes I said Smith. Nothing wrong with them.

I like your current routines of heavy followed by lighter burner sets. I always train to failure or beyond, and focus the work on the target muscles. Not as good for building strength, but better for growth. I might raise the rep range a bit for some exercises. Most upper body work I'll usually pyramid up in weight and do a 15/12/10 or 12/10/8, then sometimes finish with a lighter burner set or a drop set. For me glutes/hams/quads respond much better to higher reps. Something like leg press might pyramid up in weight with reps something like 22/18/14/12/6, then if really feeling masochistic do a drop set with the 6 rep weight and get spotters to pull off a pair of 45 at each failure till I can't move it anymore. Calves for some reason seem to like high weight lower reps for me at least. But I follow those sets with a light, long time under tension set to finish.

Lots of different paths to choose from, and everybody gets different results depending on their genetics and tolerance for exercise. Explore till you find what yields the best for you. Good luck.