Anyone on an anti-inflammatory diet?

Options
I'm planning on losing 25 pounds, but I need to stay with anti-inflammatory foods to stave off arthritis pain.
Anyone else in the same situation?

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    This is the advice WebMD gave re: anti-inflammatory foodies.

•Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
    •Minimize saturated and trans fats.
    •Eat a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish or fish oil supplements and walnuts.
    •Watch your intake of refined carbohydrates such as pasta and white rice.
    •Eat plenty of whole grains such as brown rice and bulgur wheat.
    •Eat lean protein sources such as chicken; cut back on red meat and full-fat dairy foods.
    •Avoid refined foods and processed foods.
    •Spice it up. Ginger, curry, and other spices can have an anti-inflammatory effect.

They also mention that when you do this, it will naturally help you lose weight because you are not eating a lot of unhealthy crap. Hope this helps.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while on an anti-inflammatory diet is no different from losing weight not on an anti-inflammatory diet.

To lose weight: you need to eat in a deficit. To lose weight on an anti-inflammatory diet, just eat the foods that you can handle/are OKd by your doctor in a deficit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    elisekasten my number one diet objective is pain management so I can stay away from Meds that are really dangerous long term to my health.

I decided to try low carb for a change being a sugar addict. I think the coconut oil has been good for me after getting through the first three weeks of using it heavily. I know cutting out sugar has cut the pain.

7-8 pain levels are down to 2-3 for the first time in years and that is letting me move more and replace some fat with muscle. The scales say my net weight is staying about the same but over 4 months I have lost 10 pounds but that loss was in the third month. My fat clearly is being replaced by some muscle and even when the scales do not go down I have been able to get shirts to button that I have not worn in a long time.

Now I can walk a 1/4 mile at a fast past which is down and up a steep hill that in the beginning forced me to stop and rest many times.

Keep in mind processed/packaged foods may be more inflammatory than many nature whole foods. While carbs are not essential to good health for humans one has to be careful it greatly cutting them I have found. You really have to make sure you are meeting your requirements with Fat and Protein so you do not wreck your health. When doing the math I learned I had been living mainly off of carbs so when I cut them to <50 grams a day I did OK with the level of Fats by using the coconut oil in part. But I was way short on protein which made things much better when I got my Protein count up to where I was gaining muscle.

NOTE we are all different and what is good for me may be bad for you!

In my case I seemed to have become Carb intolerant so when I greatly cut them my level of body inflammation really dropped. Goggle and read some of the newer weight loss research that has come out in the last 10 years.

Best of luck.

• mianineteen87
    mianineteen87 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am on the anti inflammatory diet. It is a lifestyle change. You've got to have a real understanding about how the foods are effecting you on the biological level so you can stay strong.

Western med sucks, and I've done accutane for my skin issues with no avail other than changing the acidity and function of my gut by changing the way I eat. Anything high on the glycemic index is off limits as it causes inflammation. No bread. You must eat as if you were a hunter and gather, nothing packaged or processed. I hope you are doing well on the life style change. (: