Just curious... Lbs lost

Options
So i'm just curious. How many lbs do you guys typically lose in a week and per month? Also, how often do you guys weigh yourself. I am terrified of the scale. lol. It's horrible. I get anxious just pulling it from under the bed. The last time I weighed myself was May 15th because I went to the drs. I really don't know how often I should weigh myself. Is it best to do it on a weekly basis, or rather every month?

Replies

• Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would say best once a month...but on a minimum, weekly
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would say keep weighing yourself until you're no longer terrified. You NEED the data to be able to tell if your strategies are paying off. More importantly, you need to see that number as ONLY DATA, and not some sort of deeper reflection of your self worth.

Then, you can compile the DATA from the scale with the other data that you should also be keeping: calories in/out, measurements of neck/waist/etc.

OR... if you're a patient person, ditch the scale completely, control your eating, and then wait until the results show up in the mirror.

Honestly, both ways work. I'm an engineer and a little Type A, so solution #2 isn't going to cut it for me!
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would say keep weighing yourself until you're no longer terrified. You NEED the data to be able to tell if your strategies are paying off. More importantly, you need to see that number as ONLY DATA, and not some sort of deeper reflection of your self worth.

Then, you can compile the DATA from the scale with the other data that you should also be keeping: calories in/out, measurements of neck/waist/etc.

OR... if you're a patient person, ditch the scale completely, control your eating, and then wait until the results show up in the mirror.

Honestly, both ways work. I'm an engineer and a little Type A, so solution #2 isn't going to cut it for me!

^^ this is great advice.

I will only add that I think if you aren't weighing everyday (and taking your weight and graphing it properly) then you shouldn't weigh yourself more than once a month. Inbetween doesn't really work so well because you get the bad parts of both methods (the anxiety, being unlucky enough to weigh on an up fluctuation so it looks like you've gained)

I want to second he notion that I think its really worth fighting your fear of the scale and weighing everyday. The number doesn't mean anything really, it's just a datapoint. And over time you want to see the datapoints go down in value. You get some really valuable data from weighing everyday!!

I've learnt I lose weight in a pattern. 4 or so days of the same weight, upswing up 1lb then down 2lbs over 2 or 3 days. Repeat. Now the upswings on the scale don't worry me because they usually come before a huge swing down.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    When I was counting calories I would lose roughly 1lb per week but sometimes it'd be nothing for 3 weeks then bam, I'd drop 3lbs on the scale. It CAN be a little unpredictable with your period, water retention, etc. so I suggest doing it once a week or once a month, depending on if you are savvy enough to not freak out the first week you don't lose, because it does happen!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I pretty much agree with this. Either weigh every day and stop letting it have power over you, or stop weighing. That number shouldn't control you. I find daily weighing much more helpful than weekly, because if you weigh every day you see every little fluctuation, and stop freaking out when you gain 3 lbs overnight, because it doesn't matter and doesn't mean you gained 3 lbs of fat overnight. If you weigh weekly, you might weigh one week on a "down" fluctuation, and the next week on an "up" fluctuation. How would you know if that was a real gain or just water weight?