Thoughts on aspartame while dieting?

Options
2»

Replies

• CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The thing with artifical sweeteners is they trigger the same response from the liver and pancreas as real sugar does, so it's kind of pointless. When your liver ingests artificial sweeteners, your pancreas responds by creating insulin, which can't be filtered out through the liver, so it turns it into fat instantly. You might be saving calories, but don't think you're tricking your body! There's a great documentary on the sugar/sweetener industry and obesity in general that Katie Couric put together. It's very informative, I suggest you look it up... it's called Fed Up.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    The thing with artifical sweeteners is they trigger the same response from the liver and pancreas as real sugar does, so it's kind of pointless. When your liver ingests artificial sweeteners, your pancreas responds by creating insulin, which can't be filtered out through the liver, so it turns it into fat instantly. You might be saving calories, but don't think you're tricking your body! There's a great documentary on the sugar/sweetener industry and obesity in general that Katie Couric put together. It's very informative, I suggest you look it up... it's called Fed Up.

Sorry, but Fed Up is full of broscience. Nothing "turns to fat instantly."
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I drink a gallon of mountain dew a day, and also 44-64oz of diet dr. pepper. It has never affected my weight loss OR blood sugar.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I drink coke zero or diet coke or Pepsi Max - not every day but several times a week..
    - It does not give me hunger cravings or hinder my weight loss or anything else - and I am not very young so if the effects increase with age they are taking long time to do so.
  • The thing with artifical sweeteners is they trigger the same response from the liver and pancreas as real sugar does, so it's kind of pointless. When your liver ingests artificial sweeteners, your pancreas responds by creating insulin, which can't be filtered out through the liver, so it turns it into fat instantly. You might be saving calories, but don't think you're tricking your body! There's a great documentary on the sugar/sweetener industry and obesity in general that Katie Couric put together. It's very informative, I suggest you look it up... it's called Fed Up.

Definitely will!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Renowned anti-scientist Katie Couric?
    No thanks.
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    Here's a full list of scientific studies on the effects of aspartame on everything from brain function to weight gain. The stuff is just no good. http://aspartame.mercola.com/sites/aspartame/studies.aspx
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    The "Why Aspartame isn't scary" thread needs to be stickied again, I see.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here's a full list of scientific studies on the effects of aspartame on everything from brain function to weight gain. The stuff is just no good. http://aspartame.mercola.com/sites/aspartame/studies.aspx

Mercola? This is getting even duckier. People need to stop getting their science from Oprah...
    Start here to see why aspartame isn't unsafe:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • thefitcouchpotato
    Options
    I say everything in moderation, if I want a diet coke I'll have one, and some days I need a crystal light to get that last bottle of water in.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    aspartame is just amino acids....
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't go looking for the fake stuff, but if it's part of the ingredients of whatever I buy, it's not like I'm going to die... especially since I'm not about to binge on that one single item. I prefer real sugar. :smirk:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Chery it did some research on Fed Up. It took three years to film because they were following a few of the people over time and was done on a very low budget. The science covered seemed to be supported by real research.

Now on this site some will call all science that does not support their pet ideas "junk" science but that is par for the web and many human mindsets.

Now there is a lot of research that at this point conflicts on diets so more studies need to be done.

As far as Fed Up goes I will give it a thumbs up because it will help more people to start thinking on the subject and it is NOT junk science base on my reading on the subject.

• CherylG1983
    Options
    The list provides links to studies published in renowned journals such as Nature, the Journal of Nutrition, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrution, The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Pharmacology Biochemistry & Behavior, The New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, etc. But I'm sure all of the experts who conducted and wrote the studies are entirely wrong, right?

Also, just so you know, I'm an intelligence analyst, and part of my job is to research chemical food additives for one of my clients. If you saw the crap that ran across my desk in the run of a day, trust me... you wouldn't want to touch ANY artificial sweetener with a 10-foot pole, not just aspartame.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Mercola?

Seriously?

*smh*

You're quite the drive by poster/insulter.