21 year old female trying to bulk

Options
Im 21, 5'6 and I've been weight training since February this year. I managed to get my body fat down to an amount I was happy with and my trainer decided it was good idea to do a bulk as I'm looking to compete next year in bikini. So I've been on this new diet for a few weeks now and I'm trying to 'lean bulk' but im still having the odd treat now and then as I don't feel as restricted. I've put on 3lbs in 3 weeks (currently weighing around 9stone 5) which is most likely just water weight from the amount of carbs I'm eating, but I can't seem to see any progress otherwise.
I'm training 5/6 days a week, minimal cardio -

Sunday - Legs, glutes and hams
Monday - Arms and chest
Tuesday - Back and shoulders
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Hams and glutes
Friday - Arms and abs
Saturday - Back and shoulders

My current diet looks something like this -
Meal 1 - oats, protein shake & 2 tspn peanut butter
Meal 2 - 4 eggs or tin of tuna, 5 rice cakes & 30g cashew nuts
Meal 3 - 130g chicken, 70g greens & 75g brown rice
Meal 4 - 4 eggs or tin of tuna, 5 rice cakes & 30g cashew nuts
Post workout - protein shake & banana
Meal 5 - 130g chicken, 70g greens & 75g brown rice
Pre bed - protein shake & 2-3 tspn peanut butter

I'm also using fish oil, vitamin supplememts, BCAA, am, pre and post workout and pm & glutamine pre workout and pre bed.

Can someone please offer me some advise as I literally just feel like I'm eating myself in the ground and not gaining and lean muscle in the process.

Thanks

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You are not going to see appreciable lean mass gains in three weeks. It takes a really long time. I'm a 6'3", 235lb male and I've only made moderate gains over the course of two bulks, lasting around 8 months in total. As a woman you are going to be half as fast, at best.

Keep monitoring your weight and slowly adding calories as you stall out. 3lbs in 3weeks is plenty (though I guess, probably quite a bit of water initially, I gained 15lbs the first month of my bulk and then it leveled off). Then have unending patience. That's the best advice I can give you.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is far too short of a time to judge how much muscle you're gaining. Stick to it for at least a few more weeks, and as long as you're lifting heavy on a calorie surplus, you should start to see gains at some point.

Remember though, you're going to be building fat at the same time, so that might cover up some of the build muscle as wel.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on this bulk? From what Ive read you're doing everything right. Seems like your not giving it time to work. If I could give any advice it would be to stop cardio completly and do incline treadmil walks for 20m at about 3-3.3 mph on a level 10 incline. Otherwise your meal plan is the exact same as mine and it just takes time. The only way to know if its really working is to measure yourself when you start and continue to tape every month. Good luck
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a diet that brotastic since 2009
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

LMFAO. I agree, though.

If you're bulking, there is definitely nothing wrong with treats. Pizza, burgers, and ice cream are all diet staples for me. Also, You seem really short on produce. Greens 2x/day and a banana aren't going to cut it.

How much do you weigh?

I'm 5'6" and around 130 lbs currently (started this bulk at 124). Last bulk I did was 20 weeks and I gained 6 lbs (4 lbs LBM) after the water weight went away (less than a week).
  • beachboy12
    beachboy12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a 5 day split. More rest with the proper macronutrients will allow your body to repair itself and grow. Also...lift heavy!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    You are not going to see appreciable lean mass gains in three weeks. It takes a really long time. I'm a 6'3", 235lb male and I've only made moderate gains over the course of two bulks, lasting around 8 months in total. As a woman you are going to be half as fast, at best.

Keep monitoring your weight and slowly adding calories as you stall out. 3lbs in 3weeks is plenty (though I guess, probably quite a bit of water initially, I gained 15lbs the first month of my bulk and then it leveled off). Then have unending patience. That's the best advice I can give you.

this.

Only other thing I would add is - buy stretchy pants- and believe in yourself. really- you'll have a lot of self doubt-and it just takes time - and you have to forge ahead- eyes closed- food firmly in hand to continue eating- even when you're at your 'lowest'. I'd also set a min max window- I did 4 min- 6 max- and landed squarely at 5 after desperately wanting to quit at 3. Was a win win for me- I got a lot more out of it that way.
  • elutherx
    elutherx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

LMFAO. I agree, though.

If you're bulking, there is definitely nothing wrong with treats. Pizza, burgers, and ice cream are all diet staples for me. Also, You seem really short on produce. Greens 2x/day and a banana aren't going to cut it.

How much do you weigh?

I'm 5'6" and around 130 lbs currently (started this bulk at 124). Last bulk I did was 20 weeks and I gained 6 lbs (4 lbs LBM) after the water weight went away (less than a week).

I'm having treats, a lot more than I usually would. I feel much more relaxed having them now as I know I'm not looking to lose fat - I just prefer to keep my diet plain and simple as it keeps my head clear. im weighing around 132 pounds now, I've gained a few but I know it's mostly water.
  • elutherx
    elutherx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    beachboy12 wrote: »
    I would suggest a 5 day split. More rest with the proper macronutrients will allow your body to repair itself and grow. Also...lift heavy!
    Thanks, I was thinking about this as I would probably be able to lift heavier, but I would really like to focus on my shoulders, hams and glutes as that's what needs the most improvement for bikini class. I'll give this a go, and then maybe switch it up abit when it comes to dieting down next year!
  • FitWithVic
    FitWithVic Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey how did you get on?