Finally reached my target weight after losing 179lb. Some progress pics included :-)

Options
zezelryck
zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
edited December 2022 in Success Stories
Well I finally made my target weight. It has taken me 78 weeks, during that time I have holidayed twice and had open heart surgery. My starting weight was 23st7lb (329lb) today I passed my goal weight of 10st12lb weighing in at 10st10.5lb (150.5lb).

About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with congenital heart failure and was told I needed open heart surgery to replace my right ventricle valve and to repair my triscupid valve. At the same time I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea. This was on top of the arthritis and gout that I was constantly suffering from. At the point of discharge from hospital after a 29 night stay I weighed 19st7lb (273lb) and was told that I needed open heart surgery but they would not even consider doing it until I had got my weight down to a maximum of 15st (210lb). For the next 2-3 years I completely ignored everybody's advice including the heart consultant. By this time I had ballooned to 23st7lb (329lb); on one of my regular visits to the cardiac ward my consultant came straight to the point and told me I would be dead within 5 years and I had to make a choice. I have to admit it felt like a challenge and I still ignored him for a while. During this time I was getting constant gout attacks and if it wasn't gout it was arthritis; one morning I woke up and thought to myself "I can't do this any more" and made a decision that day to change.

15 months later after beating the diabetes (now gone) and the sleep apnoea (I no longer sleep with a papa machine) the gout has totally stopped bothering me, in fact this was the first major health milestone for me. More importantly for myself I had my open heart surgery done 13 weeks ago and now have a new heart valve. I weighed 12st7lb (175lb). I have today finished a physiotherapy course at the QE hospital in Birmingham cardiac rehabilitation suite.

I have no wise words of wisdom for you, we all have our own paths, it does seem to me though if I can do it with all of the problems I have faced then I think most of you probably can do it. :-)

A few photographs of my progress

Probably at my worst weight. I'm not really sure as I refused to weigh myself around this time. If I didn't know my weight then it didn't matter

By this point I had lost 5 stone (70lb) and was feeling rather happy with myself. 10st (140lb) lighter and I was starting to think I was getting on top of this thing. Thats a 10 stone lost certificate in my hands from my slimming group

This was a fun day as I recall, probably 3 days after having my heart surgery, the smile may have been the effect of the morphine ;-)

A few weeks ago weighing around 11st (154lb)

A couple of days ago weighing probably the same as I do today

I have created a photobucket slide show with a few more photographs if anyone is interested in seeing a few more between stage photographs

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/Zezelryck/Weight loss progress/story

One other thing to mention. When I was ill I was on many medications. Metformin, Spironolactone, Bumetinide, Ramipril, Gliclazide, Pravastatin, Colchisine and a few others I cant remember the names of. Today I am absolutely free of any medication other than an advised 75mg daily Aspirin and my multivits. Life is looking positive for me. Time to go in to maintenance and I am under no illusion that this could be even harder than any challenge I have faced, but I think I am up to it. I'm always looking for new inspirational friends who log daily and are committed to a healthier lifestyle. If you fit the bill send me a FR with a message. :-)

Replies

• JoshuaTreeLily
    JoshuaTreeLily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like I said on your status update today, I wish there were balloons and confetti to rain down for you on this momentous occasion. You deserve it. You've accomplished so much. Enjoy all the relief, goodness, and freedom this now brings you. Congratulations!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I love how happy you've become along the way. Congratulations for taking on such a challenge and achieving your goal. Wishing you all the best in maintenance.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You are magnificent! many, many congratulations on your achievement..... to be honest I'm lost for words.... cue the marching band!
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for posting. You should be so, so, so proud of yourself!! Continued good health!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!! I'm glad you are on my friend list! :) Congrats! You look great!
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Well done you. My husband also has a heart condition so can relate. You are unrecognisable from the starting pic of
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well done! Congratulations on being med free, too!
  • skinnychristylee
    skinnychristylee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your story is amazing. You should share this with more people. Congratulations can't even begin to say enough.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, you look great. It's people like you that give so much motivation to all of us. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • shanaya37
    shanaya37 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are an amazing inspiration! Glad you decided enough was enough and got on the right track to being healthier. You look great!
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad for you that you chose LIFE instead of food! Congrats!
  • threemonthjourney
    Options
    that is seriously impressive!
    congrats, you are an inspiration!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story, thank you for sharing!!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't even know what to say other than bravo! You are unrecognizable from the first photo. Incredible. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • jpcebu
    jpcebu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great Story and Great Job, Congrats!!
  • anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow! What an amazing transformation. Seriously, you have been through the ringer and what you have accomplished is nothing short of amazing. What an inspiration.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    That is awesome results for your hard work. Congrats!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look so much healthier and happier these days! Congratulations!
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    wow. just wow, thanks for sharing your story
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!