Juggling offshore work with nutrition

Options
Hi guyz,

I was hoping to maybe get a bit of info or even tips from anyone who is into their nutrition in a big way but also works off shore.

I may be going offshore soon but worried how this will affect my training/nutrition. Obviously since I will not be cooking my own food I will not be able to accurately track my macros and also most meals that are prepared by chefs the meat will be soaked in not so good things like sauces with a high sugar content etc.

It would be nice to hear other offshore workers experiences with this. Although Im guessing if your a dedicated bodybuilder maybe you wouldn't even consider this kind of career in the first place.

Replies

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My husband works on the North Slope and says the chefs always have nice salad choices, fresh fruits and veg without sauces. Many roasted proteins choices with nothing more than salt and pepper.
    I'll bet you will be able to continue to make good choices - but just be careful because for every healthy item offered there will be a dozen yummy, mouthwatering, tempting dishes that are not so healthy. They will be hard to bypass.
  • voodoosillyman
    Options
    I currently am offshore as we speak. I work 14/14 rotation. And yes it can be very hard to train and eat well out here. But I am fortunate enough to be on a very large rig with a lot of people so there is always some sort of baked fish or chicken and plenty of salads, just monitor the dressing. But I stay away from all fried foods and limit my red meat intake while at work.

I do both run and weight train, however, I like running more. We have 4 treadmills and 2 ellipticals. The treadmills are kinda old and not accurate at all. I bring a foot pod and HR monitor that connects to my garmin that gives me a better spm/hr/calories burned on every run. The weight room is small but decent. I also bring resistance bands with me so I can use those where ever. I also do my share of push ups to maintain.

Bottom line is, have to make the best of the situation. Food is very easy to slip away since there is always cakes, cookies etc.. being made daily. Plus there are more than enough fried foods to be had. But there is also good food too. Or just bring tons of protein powder and stuff you can eat to supplement.

Hope this helps
  • Weeyin06
    Weeyin06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you guyz :smile: This is really helpful stuff now i know what to expect! Hopefully my rig will have some of the baked meats options! But yeh I defo see I will have to exercise some self restraint having some many yummy foods around!!

Thanks again